Three muffler system (choices)

Tdishon

I decided to use two Dynomax Ultra Flo welded round and...

either one Dynomax Utra Flo Welded "X" (#17553) or Ultra Flo Cross Flo (#17231).
Any idea which one would be the quietest?(or other muffler?)
I'm trying to get my car as silent as possible.
I currently have the Pypes dual and it's too loud...

That last line is enough for me to open the dump.

As far as quietest my guess would be mixing the cross flo with the ultra flow. They're probably don't resonate at the same frequency so the odds on cancelling drone might be the highest.

It sounds to me that you really have a passenger problem - not a muffler problem.
But that's just me.

Perhaps you should consider a minivan and make the passenger happier?
I've also heard those Prius EVs are silent. :D

That last line is enough for me to open the dump.

As far as quietest my guess would be mixing the cross flo with the ultra flow. They're probably don't resonate at the same frequency so the odds on cancelling drone might be the highest.

LOL - yup
And then when she's talking about new shoes or somethnig really important - look confused - and fake sign language her - as if she were deaf - screaming - "I - can't - hear - what - you - are - saying!!"
Then floor it
LOL :D

And set your Grand National up like this
Duck head on the header is optional

You should have left the last line out; then you likely would have received a better response. You can always buy a 2013 regal, theyre quiet.

picture.php

Ear plugs are way cheaper than mufflers or flowmaster makes a " hushpower version " !!!! but id buy that when im ready to burying my turbo buick in my flowerbed & plant daisies in it.. Surrender your mancard

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I decided to use two Dynomax Ultra Flo welded round and...

either one Dynomax Utra Flo Welded "X" (#17553) or Ultra Flo Cross Flo (#17231).
Any idea which one would be the quietest?(or other muffler?)
I'm trying to get my car as silent as possible.
The chick sitting in the passenger seat will leave the seat empty if it's not quite. I currently have the Pypes dual and it's too loud...

Here's all the parts that I used including pics and results:

I just got my car back with the 3 mufflers installed! AMAZING!
There is a little bit of drone around 2000RPM but the rpm band that it drones is very narrow, like 2000-2100rpm then it's dead quiet. There is more engine noise than exhaust noise and if I put my ear near the tail pipe I still can't hear the exhaust over the engine at the front of the car. The fuel pump is certainly much noisier than the exhaust coming out of the tail pipes.
I convinced a small local muffler shop (Dougs Mr. Muffler) to do it and I am really impressed by how he managed to get all the pipes to wind through the car. Most shops wouldn't touch it but he decided to give it a shot.
I attached some pics and a list of my parts I used for this install in case someone wants a parts list, but these are for a mild steel kit:

JEGS:
QTY 1: 520-16810 - Hooker 2.5" CAT-Back Exhaust Kit
QTY 2: 289-17219 - Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler (Under the car - I didn't want to use the mufflers that came with the Hooker kit so I bought these instead. These are not a chamber muffler like the Hooker Areo Mufflersr so these should flow better and should be quieter..but this is my opinion)
QTY 1: 289-17231 - Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler (This is the shorter muffler that others have wanted to try in the previous posts and this goes behind the axle. This shorter muffler allows more room for welding the elbows in place)

SUMMIT RACING:
QTY 2: SUM-622003 - U-BEND 2 1/2" 5" - 12" 12"
QTY 6: SUM-670176 - 1D TIGHT EXHAUST BEND 2.5" 90*
QTY 2: WLK-41438 - EXHAUST PIPE ADAPTOR

View attachment 162166
View attachment 162167
View attachment 162168
View attachment 162169
View attachment 162170
View attachment 162171
View attachment 162172

I eliminated the last line of my original post. Figured a few people would get a kick out of that.

So I think everyone seems to like the Dynomax.
Thanks for the pics of your complete setup KEVINS. Great write up. I see older posts have used the discontinued 17276 cross flow.
Dynomax is telling me the newer Ultra Flo X is the quietest of Ultra Flo. Bigger casing= harder to fit back there, but very doable.
Anyone try this X muffler. Dynomax is telling me it flows the same SCFM as all the other Ultra Flo's.

So I think everyone seems to like the Dynomax.
Thanks for the pics of your complete setup KEVINS. Great write up. I see older posts have used the discontinued 17276 cross flow.
Dynomax is telling me the newer Ultra Flo X is the quietest of Ultra Flo. Bigger casing= harder to fit back there, but very doable.
Anyone try this X muffler. Dynomax is telling me it flows the same SCFM as all the other Ultra Flo's.

If I remember correctly you do not want a X-flow b/c the gasses come from two different directions and meet at the X which causes flow issues.

Try those p/n's I listed b/c I was told that those numbers were discontinued also but Jegs had them and I received them in a couple days.

ks

I am not sure how to take this thread. I know people try to create sleepers, but make the car "more quiet"? Screw that, I ran mine for a month over the summer with the dumps open.

BTW, I have Magnaflow and I love the sound.

I know, ask 10 different people what sounds the best and you will get 10 different answers.
I like sleeper quiet from my Buick so it doesn't sound like its a muscle car. For me that was part of the allure of the car.
I have my old 62 vette with and LS3 and porter packs on it and it rumbles great. But not my Buick...

I run 3in from the turbo all the way back and out behind the right rear tire, no muffler, no cat just straight pipe....I can hear the Turbo whistle at just about any speed..sounds Amazing. That's just what I like, good luck with your Quest for Quiet.

I get what you are trying to achieve and its your car, your preference.

Every TR I have had was 3" from turbo to tailpipes... No silencers. I loved it. My SVO is set up the same way.

Threads like this drive me nuts. Someone asks a question looking for answers but instead of offering help people would rather post their own opinion about what's wrong with what the OP wants or ??

If the OP wants a quiet car and is looking for info on doing this then he probably doesn't care if your car is noisy and you like it that way.. Duh....:confused:

ks

I was looking at the three muffler setup for awhile...I ended up getting the Pypes system but substituted DynoMax VT mufflers...very happy with them ! Quiet enough to have a conversation in the car or listen to music at cruise speed...no drone at all. They have a valve in the mufflers that opens up when you lay into it...

Bryan

Threads like this drive me nuts. Someone asks a question looking for answers but instead of offering help people would rather post their own opinion about what's wrong with what the OP wants or ??

If the OP wants a quiet car and is looking for info on doing this then he probably doesn't care if your car is noisy and you like it that way.. Duh....:confused:

ks

c'mon it's an opinion based format. OP posts comment/question, and everyone interprets the post in their own way with free range to respond as they see fit. This is not a "fall in line soldier" type of forum.;)

Quikstop i got mine the same way as u, whistles like hell & people twist heads all day long looking at whats coming by & "OMG its a turbo buick" LOL!!!!!