RJC 3" Cross Flow exhaust system over all impression

ikle

For this post I am going to give you my honest opinion on my over all impression and experience of this system from ( packaging, step by step installation, fitment and sound ) so others can decide if this is the right system for them. When the package arrived I was a little worried because the box was so beat up ( thanks to the delivery man ) that you could see the exhaust through a 6" tear in the bottom of the box, but to my surprise the exhaust was in perfect condition, thanks to the excellent packaging by Jason and his staff. Out of the box the system is not only beautifully polished, but very well made, using high quality materials and the welds are flawless. Before I started the installation process I first loosened my down pipe at the turbo and I also loosened the cat delete pipe at the down pipe joint to have some movement for adjustments later, I also attached a ratcheting strap from left frame rail to right frame rail to support the middle of the exhaust and used jack stands to support the muffler and tail pipes during the installation process. I assembled the exhaust onto the car one piece at a time starting from front to rear with 3" band clamps but did not tighten any per instructions. I first adjusted the height of the exhaust to where I liked it, then I tightened the DP at the turbo. Then I tightened the exhaust to the cat delete pipe with the provided bolts. Next I adjusted the length of the exhaust to where I liked it so I had proper clearance over the rear end, to accommodate any H&R style sway bar ( there was quite a lot of in and out movement between the DP/cat delete pipe joint and the joint before the rear end to easily accomplish this.) Then I inserted the exhaust pipe as far as it would go into the muffler to gain proper spring to exhaust clearance. I then raised up the muffler as far as I could and placed a piece of 3/4" board between the muffler and my LPW racing Ultimate rear end cover to gain the clearance I needed ( keep in mind this is NOT a low profile cover ) then I supported it with a jack stand. At this time I used two exhaust hangers, I purchased at Advanced Auto, and attached one before the rear end and one a little after the center of the arch over the rear end, to maintain the proper height. I then bolted the stock male muffler bracket to the welded bracket on the muffler and slid it into the stock female muffler hanger and tightened the band clamp at the muffler. I then drilled a hole in each frame rail and mounted the tail pipes, where I liked them, with the supplied hardware. Then I tightened the band clamps at the muffler, which really stiffened up the muffler to having very little to no movement, so I have no worries of the muffler ever hitting the LPW rear end cover in the future. The last part of the install I rotated the mid pipe, counter clockwise, to get the proper clearance needed between the exhaust pipe and the passenger floor pan then I tightened the two remaining band clamps. This is my second exhaust I installed on this car (the first one being a Pypes duel 2.5") and I am very, very pleased with the fitment. There is only two word that describes how it sounds, "FREAKING AWESOME !!!" In my opinion the RJC exhaust is a very well made piece, just like the rest of there products. But I do recommend that if you don't have the time, patience or experience to install, not only the RJC system, but any exhaust system do yourself a favor and bring it to a qualified professional, you will be happier in the long run. Sorry for being such a long post, but I tried to get as detailed as I could to help and show others that there is nothing wrong with the fitment of the RJC 3" cross flow exhaust system, I am extremely happy I made the purchase. As a side note I installed the system in my garage, by myself, with a 6x6 block of wood placed under each tire working on my back. If anyone is interested in pics, I can text some to you, just PM me your cell #. Hope this helps, Kyle.

great write-up.....but WHERE ARE THE PHOTOS? ;)

aaron

I would be glad to post up photo's but to tell you the truth I don't know how. If someone can PM me instructions to do so it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kyle.

I have a buddy that is a member on this board who just purchased this exhaust...After removing the old exhust and attempting to mach up the new one it appeared the stock hangers were replaced with ones to accomadate the exhaust we removed....Told him to take it to a local shop who had done some work for me in the past...They put his car on a lift looked things over tried maching it up and then threw in the towel...Told him they couldn't put on the exhaust without cutting welding and doing some bending which we know should not be needed....They 2 guys even went as far as to say they think the muffler was built wrong.....These 2 guys claimed to have over 30 years of expierence a piece and said they had done many exhausts on GN's.....He contacted jason this morning who told him it was fine and just needed to be put on by someone who knew what they were doing.....
Ikle, I'm going to let him read your thread and we will find another shop to do this work....

I would be that friend. I have been e-mailing Jason at RJC all day and he been great. I would love all pics of your install. Your post and Jason's e-mails have givin me life once again :)... So any assistance you can provide I would love it. I think i need to find me another shop. I would like to print off to pics to show them to take any excuses away :p

Thanks For Yor Post

I helped a buddy put one on. He has a HR bar if that makes a difference or not. It went in pretty easy. We did take it to a muffler shop afterwards to have them adjust it slightly and then tack weld the connections.

I have the ATR version of this exhaust and the fitment is spot on. uses the factory exhaust hanger locations. The sound is AWESOME...... I just recently installed a H&R bar and i also had a GNX rear diff cover and it clears all that really good. The only thing i had to do was loosen the gas tank straps and moved the tank back just a tad bit. I was just nervous about it MAYBE hitting if in an event of a hard launch. pot holes ETC.

In BG last yr i was pitted next to Jason and i looked at his version of that exhaust and it's a very nicely done piece. I'm glad he stepped up and redid that exhaust. I just hate to see the mufflers hanging down from the car. it looks tacky to me. Buick did the exhaust right on these car except for the flow. but the crossflow takes car of that.

For those of you that are interested in pics of my install Turbo-6 will be posting them up for me since I am having difficulty's doing so. Hope they help.

Here are the Pictures that Klye sent me this afternoon...agian thanks for your time :)

Attachments

• IMG952012051595162212.jpg
    IMG952012051595162212.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG952012051595162251.jpg
    IMG952012051595162251.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG952012051595162319.jpg
    IMG952012051595162319.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG952012051595162413.jpg
    IMG952012051595162413.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG952012051595162603.jpg
    IMG952012051595162603.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG952012051595162652.jpg
    IMG952012051595162652.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG952012051595162706.jpg
    IMG952012051595162706.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG952012051595162936.jpg
    IMG952012051595162936.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG952012051595163416.jpg
    IMG952012051595163416.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG952012051595163657.jpg
    IMG952012051595163657.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 310
Here is a few more....

Attachments

• PART_1337133367898.jpg
    PART_1337133367898.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 193
  • PART_1337133517834.jpg
    PART_1337133517834.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 184
I had this exhaust before I went with my ATR single shot, and it fit ok other then the muffler hitting the girdle. I had the low profile girdle with about the same distance shown in your picture between them. Mocking it up, I put a piece of wood between the muffler and the girdle and pushed the muffler all the way up and mounted it. However, full of gas and hitting a decent pump the muffer did hit the girdle. It actually put a small dent in the muffer. It fit ok other then that. I dont think it would hit with a rear end that isn't girdled.

For this post I am going to give you my honest opinion on my over all impression and experience of this system from ( packaging, step by step installation, fitment and sound ) so others can decide if this is the right system for them. When the package arrived I was a little worried because the box was so beat up ( thanks to the delivery man ) that you could see the exhaust through a 6" tear in the bottom of the box, but to my surprise the exhaust was in perfect condition, thanks to the excellent packaging by Jason and his staff. Out of the box the system is not only beautifully polished, but very well made, using high quality materials and the welds are flawless. Before I started the installation process I first loosened my down pipe at the turbo and I also loosened the cat delete pipe at the down pipe joint to have some movement for adjustments later, I also attached a ratcheting strap from left frame rail to right frame rail to support the middle of the exhaust and used jack stands to support the muffler and tail pipes during the installation process. I assembled the exhaust onto the car one piece at a time starting from front to rear with 3" band clamps but did not tighten any per instructions. I first adjusted the height of the exhaust to where I liked it, then I tightened the DP at the turbo. Then I tightened the exhaust to the cat delete pipe with the provided bolts. Next I adjusted the length of the exhaust to where I liked it so I had proper clearance over the rear end, to accommodate any H&R style sway bar ( there was quite a lot of in and out movement between the DP/cat delete pipe joint and the joint before the rear end to easily accomplish this.) Then I inserted the exhaust pipe as far as it would go into the muffler to gain proper spring to exhaust clearance. I then raised up the muffler as far as I could and placed a piece of 3/4" board between the muffler and my LPW racing Ultimate rear end cover to gain the clearance I needed ( keep in mind this is NOT a low profile cover ) then I supported it with a jack stand. At this time I used two exhaust hangers, I purchased at Advanced Auto, and attached one before the rear end and one a little after the center of the arch over the rear end, to maintain the proper height. I then bolted the stock male muffler bracket to the welded bracket on the muffler and slid it into the stock female muffler hanger and tightened the band clamp at the muffler. I then drilled a hole in each frame rail and mounted the tail pipes, where I liked them, with the supplied hardware. Then I tightened the band clamps at the muffler, which really stiffened up the muffler to having very little to no movement, so I have no worries of the muffler ever hitting the LPW rear end cover in the future. The last part of the install I rotated the mid pipe, counter clockwise, to get the proper clearance needed between the exhaust pipe and the passenger floor pan then I tightened the two remaining band clamps. This is my second exhaust I installed on this car (the first one being a Pypes duel 2.5") and I am very, very pleased with the fitment. There is only two word that describes how it sounds, "FREAKING AWESOME !!!" In my opinion the RJC exhaust is a very well made piece, just like the rest of there products. But I do recommend that if you don't have the time, patience or experience to install, not only the RJC system, but any exhaust system do yourself a favor and bring it to a qualified professional, you will be happier in the long run. Sorry for being such a long post, but I tried to get as detailed as I could to help and show others that there is nothing wrong with the fitment of the RJC 3" cross flow exhaust system, I am extremely happy I made the purchase. As a side note I installed the system in my garage, by myself, with a 6x6 block of wood placed under each tire working on my back. If anyone is interested in pics, I can text some to you, just PM me your cell #. Hope this helps, Kyle.

I had to have mine installed by my engine builder. Sounds pretty good. My engine builder has the same exhaust on his car, although, mine sounds better by his own admission.

Had mine since 2014. Definitely a challenge to get it to fit. Followed the instructions start to finished, but wound up cutting and rewelding the tailpipe hangers. Comes with one hanger welded to the left side of the muffler, but nothing to hold up the right side of the system except for the tailpipe. Have to add a hanger for the over axle pipe. If you have a girdle cover the muffler will be very close. Other than the fitment issues I think it's the best all around system with little to no drone.

exhaust 1.jpg exhaust 2.jpg exhaust 3.jpg

Had mine since 2014. Definitely a challenge to get it to fit. Followed the instructions start to finished, but wound up cutting and rewelding the tailpipe hangers. Comes with one hanger welded to the left side of the muffler, but nothing to hold up the right side of the system except for the tailpipe. Have to add a hanger for the over axle pipe. If you have a girdle cover the muffler will be very close. Other than the fitment issues I think it's the best all around system with little to no drone.

View attachment 311211 View attachment 311212 View attachment 311213

To be honest it took my engine builder some time to get both to fit, his car and mine. He had to weld and add addition hangers. If I would've been left to me, it would still be in my garage. It certainly isn't plug and play. Also I both mine in 2014 so it was a little older, the design may have changed since then. I'll post a video of sound of mine.