who switched from flowmaster mufflers?

ryan319

My GN has a custom 3"dual exhaust that a previous owner had made. It's actually pretty nice except for the flowmaster mufflers which I hear don't work well on turbo cars. My 67 Camaro needs a new exhaust as it currently has longtubes with glasspacks circa 1970 dumped at the axle. It's obnoxious and looks like hell. So I'm thinking about pulling the 3" flowmasters off the GN and putting them on the Camaro with an x-pipe.

My question is, who has switched from flowmasters to something else with proven gains either on a dyno or track. I'm thinking about putting either dynomax ultra flow welded , magnaflows, or pypes race pro's on the GN in place in the flowmasters. Or is there another reasonably priced muffler to consider? I want something that will make some noise when I want it to but I don't want a muffler that will drone on the highway.

I have a set of dynomax super turbos they flow and sound outstanding. I think most guys run them.

V8Killer had them on his GN. With no other changes other than getting rid of the Flowmaster, he picked up 1/2 a second. He went to the ATR Pitbull system but they are out of business now. There are several other mufflers besides Flowmasters that work well. Do a search and you can see even a 3 muffler system to cut drone.

I've been wondering the same about the flowmasters. My car sounds pretty healthy at idle with them on there. I actually like the way it sounds...but if there's a better flowin muffler, i guess I'll have to pick performance over sound.:(

I had flowmasters switched from pro flow to flowmaster noticed more lag so I took them off now have straight pipes with very little lag not as loud as you would think

DynoMax VT mufflers here...Awesome !!! ZERO drone at cruise speeds and open up when you hammer it...

Bryan

I had a customer car that had Flowmaster mufflers. We switched to Magna flow. It sounded great after the swap. The first thing I noticed was the car picked up several pounds of boost and lag was reduce big time.

Tr custom parts sells pit bull reproduction mufflers.. I believe the same ones made by gn1.

I am in the process of re-doing my exhaust. I currently have Flowmasters and my car set the way it is will build 19psi of boost through the mufflers, and if i open the exhaust dump with no other changes the car will boost 26psi. 7 psi is a lot to leave on the table as far as power goes. Flowmasters sound great at idle but drone like a biatch and act as a wall for boost. I cant wait to finally chuck them.

OK, I'm sold. They're coming off as soon as I can get new ones ordered. I think I'm going with the dynomax ultra flo welded unless I find someone having a magnaflow sale. The pitbull reproductions look really nice but they're more than I want to spend.

I remember 100 years ago when my car was near stock I took off the Atr mufflers cause I thought they were too quiet and put on a set of Flowmasters because they were louder, with no other changes I actually lost 3 pounds of boost, I swapped them right back...they sound great but chambered mufflers are not ideal for turbo cars.

any non chambered flow through mufflers are the way to go on turbo cars. I like my Hooker Max Flo mufflers.

Love my dynomax
image.jpg

:wtf:..I gotta start reading the post dates b4 I post....