How to go from 12.6 to 10.9

Hey guys. I ran my car at the track last week 12.6 @ 107 MPH 1.8 60' foot.

Here is my combination, what would I need to run 10.9's. I was thinking of putting on an alcohol kit and turning up the boost to 20lbs or maybe 25lbs....
I would think I'd need to get my trap speed up to 125ish.

Any other advice to get to my goal. I had one really good hook and got a lot of wheelhop. What lower control arms would I need?

87 GN
3.8 with GN1 Steel Crank & JE Pistons
Scat Connecting Rods
Comp 212/212 Cam
Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Precision TE54 Turbo @15lbs boost, no alky
42lb injectors, ( I have 60's ready to go on if needed)
Precision Front Mount Intercooler
Terry Houston Downpipe
ATR Dual Exhaust w/ Pitbull Mufflers
Bilstein Shocks
ATR Springs
H&R Sway Bar
Dynotech 200R4 - 3000 Stall
15x8 rear wheels with 275/60/15 nitro drag radials
Walboro 340 w/ hotwire

Last edited:
What's done to the heads?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Those 60s, alkycontrol, TT chip, powerlogger and m/t drag radials. Tune and slowly raise the boost. Work on the 60's. You'll need safety equipment too.

Hey guys. I ran my car at the track last week 12.6 @ 107 MPH 1.8 60' foot.

Here is my combination, what would I need to run 10.9's. I was thinking of putting on an alcohol kit and turning up the boost to 20lbs or maybe 25lbs....
I would think I'd need to get my trap speed up to 125ish.

Any other advice to get to my goal. I had one really good hook and got a lot of wheelhop. What lower control arms would I need?

87 GN
3.8 with GN1 Steel Crank & JE Pistons
Scat Connecting Rods
Comp 212/212 Cam
Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Precision TE54 Turbo @15lbs boost, no alky
42lb injectors, ( I have 60's ready to go on if needed)
Precision Front Mount Intercooler
Terry Houston Downpipe
ATR Dual Exhaust w/ Pitbull Mufflers
Bilstein Shocks
ATR Springs
H&R Sway Bar
Dynotech 200R4 - 3000 Stall
15x8 rear wheels with 275/60/15 nitro drag radials
Walboro 340 w/ hotwire

With what you have you should be running 11.50 all day .. but you can't do it on 91 octane and 15 psi ...

Add some race fuel in it .. turn the wick up .. get some datalogging on it ...

If you have E85 in your area .. convert over .. lower 11's should be no problem

The key components needed are heads, converter, and a way to tune it. If you look at my face book page you can see a job I did while in BG last fall. The car was a 110mph car prior and a 124+mph car when done. His converter was too loose and only a 26" drag radial. Mid 10 potential with converter and 28" tire. Car was 3800lbs iirc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like your biggest restriction is the most important piece of the puzzle. Cylinder heads. I'm sure guys have gone fast with stock untouched heads, but that's like running a marathon with one lung.

Looks like your biggest restriction is the most important piece of the puzzle. Cylinder heads. I'm sure guys have gone fast with stock untouched heads, but that's like running a marathon with one lung.

I think his biggest restriction is he is running stock boost :)

IF I was him .. I wouldn't even think about ANY parts until he maxed his setup out ... then he would only be a few tenths away ( maybe not even) from his goal.
No point in even thinking about anything else until he turns up the wick and dials his current setup in.

I think his biggest restriction is he is running stock boost :)

IF I was him .. I wouldn't even think about ANY parts until he maxed his setup out ... then he would only be a few tenths away ( maybe not even) from his goal.
No point in even thinking about anything else until he turns up the wick and dials his current setup in.
Well, at least we're both thinking :D

A really cheap and easy mod for the suspension are air bags. They will dampen any wheel hop you may have and stop any roll you may have.

A really cheap and easy mod for the suspension are air bags. They will dampen any wheel hop you may have and stop any roll you may have.
I do already have air bags on the car although they leak when I tried to air them up, that's next on my list to get them replaced