Those running big front mount ic's

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
With the front of my car apart for some paint work was rethinking how I have my front mount set up with regards to the grille and rubber matting material. Have the stock matting attached to the grille like stock but it blocks some of the air getting to the lower part of the intercooler. Was thinking about removing the riveted on piece to the grille and fabbing up a piece of black anodized aluminum to help direct the air flow down better. Would then attach the matting material to that.

With everything off the car it is hard to figure it out right now but wondered if anyone else has done something like this. I realize I would have to keep the ends of that riveted piece for the grille springs to attach to.

I have an old ATR close out kit that I'm going to install and have someone from our Avonics shop custom bend what i need to have fit around the pipes on the bottom to completly shut off the bottom area as much as possible. I will be getting started this weekend i hope. I will post some pictures as i go along.;)

I fabbed up a "box in" kit using some old ATR side pieces, and had to make my own bottom piece with cutouts for the front mount pipes.
The bottom piece is fabbed from a 1/8" piece of lexan cut to fit from bumper back to core support, and side to side out to the side pieces.

If you contact Scot W. on the board here, he has reproduced the ATR "box-in" kit. All you'd have to do is mod the bottom piece to allow your pipes to pass through.

I fabbed up a "box in" kit using some old ATR side pieces, and had to make my own bottom piece with cutouts for the front mount pipes.
The bottom piece is fabbed from a 1/8" piece of lexan cut to fit from bumper back to core support, and side to side out to the side pieces.

If you contact Scot W. on the board here, he has reproduced the ATR "box-in" kit. All you'd have to do is mod the bottom piece to allow your pipes to pass through.

sounds-like Another "shop project" to me :D:D

Thanks Dave, Time for my shameless plug!! I Can save people a bunch of time & hassle with our kit already done! At only $79 you get everything needed to complete the install with instructions too! LOL

Mark, Once it's all boxed in a diverter is not going to be needed, The air is now "Forced" to go through the I/C & Rad..

I done a simple test before and after with our Box-in kit and there is a BIG difference! The stock way I layed a rag across the grille with the stock fan on - The rag just slid right off!! Now with our kit installed using the same exact rag layed across the grille it was now sucked to the grille! So good the rag bowed in between the indentions in the grille spaces.. Lot more air diverted correctly. Here is a picture of one on a customers car I installed, All you front mount guy's need to do is notch it for the pipes.

Comes in these colors: Welcome to GNSPerformance.com

* Gloss black - (Standard)
* Matte Black- (Special order)
* Bare Aluminum- ( '' '' )
* Brushed Aluminum- ( '' '' )

Scot W.

Attachments

• Air Box-in Kit 005.jpg
    Air Box-in Kit 005.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 504
Scot, will it clear the side tanks on this intercooler?? So nothing attaches to the back edge of the grille then?

Attachments

• apart 002.jpg
    apart 002.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 487
Scot, will it clear the side tanks on this intercooler?? So nothing attaches to the back edge of the grille then?
From the looks of that one I don't think it will..

I have the smaller of the GN1 front mount intercoolers and it's boarderline..

Nothing on our kit attaches to the backside / edge of the grill.

Scot W.

How I did it

I took an old truck bed mat and cut a piece out of it to go from the bumber support to the the bottom of the radiator support. Attached it with a couple self tapping sheet metal screws. Nothing is attached to the grill. It works great and you cant even see it. It lowered my coolant temp on the highway by 20 degrees. The air was just blowing out the bottom of the car in front of the radiator at highway speeds. I will see if I can snap a couple pics tonight.
Scott, Your piece does look trick.

im also using scot's kit and i have a pte front mount it really helped.. but i wasnt able to use the bottom side cause my intercooler was a little tight and destorted the side walls alittle.

im also using scot's kit and i have a pte front mount it really helped.. but i wasnt able to use the bottom side cause my intercooler was a little tight and destorted the side walls alittle.
One little trick guy's have done is when the sides are tight against the intercooler tanks they simply remove the Front screws on the bottom on each side and move it away from the tank and re-drill the hole and put the screw back in. Because there is like a 1'' of material there to move it if you need to.

The bottom is the most crucial part! It keeps the air from just blowing right out the bottom.

Scot W.

You could do all the boxing you want, 1/2 of the IC is blocked by the bumper.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The boxing isn't for the benefit of the IC. It's to make sure ALL the air entering the grill will go through the radiator, instead of spilling out the bottom. The added benefit is that ALL the air also goes through the IC instead of spilling out the bottom.

I tried the ATR kit but it would not work with the Super extreme intercooler. It was just to big for the sides to make it work. I did make some close out mate panels that i have not yet installed on the bottom. The sides are done but you can't see them from the pictures. I also just installed my new PT6265 turbo. That intercooler is huge.

Attachments

• DSCN1601.jpg
    DSCN1601.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN1599.jpg
    DSCN1599.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN1600.jpg
    DSCN1600.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 214
I also cut out all the extra panel of the grill so the air coming in will make it down to the bottom better. I left the spring hooks at the ends to keep the grill pulled forward. then i moved the trans cooler to the bottom to catch as much cool air as possible. Seems to be a good spot for it.

From the looks of that one I don't think it will..

I have the smaller of the GN1 front mount intercoolers and it's boarderline..

Nothing on our kit attaches to the backside / edge of the grill.

Scot W.
The kits will not work for sure! Not for the Super extreme GN1 intercooler.FYI

fastgn
Good idea w/ trans cooler have you given any thought to boxing the front air dams to divert more air to the cooler and possibly redirecting more air to the radiator?

With everything off the car it is hard to figure it out right now but wondered if anyone else has done something like this. I realize I would have to keep the ends of that riveted piece for the grille springs to attach to.

Not so. I took that piece off and just made two little dents in the back of the grille and used slightly longer springs to keep it working but all the flow gets through. I will try to snap a pic and I didnt read the entire thread so I am not sure if someone else has this idea already posted.