Thinking about a 6766 turbo . Is it too big ????

DMAC

I been reading about turbos for the last few weeks and thinking about the 6766 Journal . I would like some feedback my set up is as follows Plan to make it a very fast street car with very limited track

Champion Ported Iron Heads
Ported Intake
Full throttle Roller Cam Kit 210/215 grind
Alky Kit
85 lb injectors
480 L High Volume Fuel Pump
Hot Wire Kit
TT Chip
9.5 Reveloution Lock Up Converter
Pomp Gas
Forged Pistons
Steel Main Caps 2,3
3 inch DP
65 MM Throttle Body
3 Row Racing Rad
Elec Fan ( tarus 2 speed)
Oil Cooler
Trans Cooler
Stretched Stock Location IC

Last edited:
Haywire has a similar set up with a 6466 bb. Went 10.6 last time out.

Thanks I am also running the expensive headgaskets with scree in studs for the heads . to get high boost. I was running E 85 the last couple of years at around 28 lbs of boost.

I have been looking at the 6466 DBB turbo ... Do you think it would be worth the expense over a journal ?

I am switching from E85 to alky because there are many stations that have it and I would like to drive the car more distance without having to worry . I could always get a spare E85 chip I guess if I wanted to run it again for a temp time

I think the PT-6766 is one of the under rated turbos.I have several friends that have them and their cars are flying. I"m currently building a new a motor and I"m definatelly buying one.If you can reach out to Bison,he can give you more info on one.He also sells them.

Most of the cars I have built in the past few years and still have a few mid-10 sec. street builds here now, and my choice is still the tried and proven TE-45A with a Garrett exhaust housing.

Most owners want street performance and response, and the 45A is hard to beat at a light, and long as the rest of the combo is proper, especially the converter.

The 62 turbos I have seen and messed with are no match to this old-school turbo in performance or price!

The 67/66 might be ok the street if you have the proper exhaust housing to spool it quickly.

You have lots of opinions here, and I would discuss this with Bison as well since he has additional experience with these turbos, especially the 45A which he has done for some of my customers.

I been reading about turbos for the last few weeks and thinking about the 6766 Journal . I would like some feedback my set up is as follows Plan to make it a very fast street car with very limited track
motor compression?

Here's real numbers with an MFS 6265 very close to all in on a 17 blade PTC
c91d367f3f8e3d346f3407afb407318b.jpg

The cursor is on one of the last couple frames of WOT. Car went 135+ on that quarter pass at close to 3600lbs.

Here's a partial hit from 70 to approximately 130mph with an MFS 6766. I don't know the actual speed though my gps logged a high of 128mph but is usually a little slow to update. MFS 6766 with a rev X 9.5"
d8072689cef354debf720fe241e97d39.jpg

As you can see it's driving into the converter pretty hard with last frame of WOT 5850rpm. The MFS 6766 isn't all in here either. Drive pressure vs manifold still at 1.5:1. I'm sure it could make 40psi boost at around 60-62psi drive pressure on this engine if it could take it. The engine is at the mechanical cylinder pressure limit for what it is with only head bolts and a cam with less than optimal open/close events. Still less than 4 sec from 70-130mph at 3700lbs. Mid 9 sec power.

Both are 93/alky with the 6766 hit on a new port injected alky setup thats showing excellent results so far. Fuel Injectors are 3145's at 48psi base pressure. Imo neither of these turbos are really slower than mid 10 sec turbos. I wouldn't attempt this with a non feedback/ non correcting ECM setup with no added safeguards or you will likely need a shovel to pick up the pieces if you're lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Bison! Can you put that in regular plain English!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hey Bison, .85 A/R turbine housings on both of those datasets? Thanks man

Yeah. I wouldn't use a 6265 unless I was looking for mid 10's. I wouldn't use a 6766 unless I was planning on running solid 9's.

Thanks for the explanation. So We can then say a 6466 is somewhere in between...say high 9s to low 10s.

I have been looking at the 6466 DBB turbo ... Do you think it would be worth the expense over a journal ?

I am switching from E85 to alky because there are many stations that have it and I would like to drive the car more distance without having to worry . I could always get a spare E85 chip I guess if I wanted to run it again for a temp time
. I have the 64-66dbb it's alot of $$$ but it spools really fast!!!! I had richie highpsi take it for a ride and is amazed how fast it spools for this size turbo!!! Is perfect for street and will put you into 9s easy.. With of course supporting mods...

Hey Bison, .85 A/R turbine housings on both of those datasets? Thanks man
The 6265 was. I can't remember if the 6766 is.. I'm not sure of actual a/r. I never tried to measure them. They are 3 bolt buick style

Thanks for the explanation. So We can then say a 6466 is somewhere in between...say high 9s to low 10s.
I would say 9's more than 10's

The precision 64 is a Gen 2 compressor. It can keep up with the 67. But the 64 isn't sold with an H cover.