Tested a BA Performance Intercooler today

cdsttype said:
are you saying it cant be done bill :confused:

If you consider "spool up" zero to 20psi in 1.5 seconds or less on a trans brake by just matting the throttle and the converter slipping less than 5%, it cant be done on a V6 Buick, even with a $6000 Fred Brown VSC. That can only be accomplished with a clutch.

cdsttype said:
i dont know if my tires will take 20 psi
with my "SMALL TURBO" BUT I WOULD
LIKE TO SEE 15PSI
On Jims car we run 28.5X9s
Did you see the video that was a 20# launch :eek:
Good call with that lockup, you got a point there.Whos lockup convertor
are you running?

KLHAMMETT said:
It was mentioned that the intercooler tested was bigger than the other one tested,Your not posting any new news to the public there.How about testing actual results of your new coolers?
The 2 coolers tested were in by no mean comparable coolers,Since you want to bring it in The other cooler tested was the Cottons original unit.
Not planning to get into this thread, I've tried to stay out of it. Otto, did you think for a minute that posting this was going to cause anything other than stirring up crap again? I know you, you are smarter than this. All Bamford has done throughout this thread is take shots at Jack. I don't run Jack's intercooler or the BA. I run an old Precision front mount that Dave says is so great. It's rated for high HP cars from Precision. Mine's anything but a high performance car by today's standards. 9.8's at 21 psi of boost in a 3675# car and the intercooler spits fire out. Typically I'd see MAT's in the range you saw, 170-190. You don't see me bitching about it and blaming Precision and dragging them through the mud. The Precision is anything but a 9 second intercooler yet many, many people have run it into the 9's. In fact the precision is so great that Dave needs to run two of them to cool properly.

I'm not going to bring in the facts about testing before and after temps as well as pressure drop, we've been through this before. I would expect the BA to run cooler than Jack's original. The technology is about 4 years newer and it's 50% bigger, what else would you expect?

I think it’s amazing that you guys posted crap on TBs.com and were run off. Then you posted on T6P and were run out. now you’ve found a new home to post crap. hope you like your new home because it's the last one left. Maybe next you'll go over to the **** board, lots of people will be able to read it there. You guys would single handedly quadruple the post count there.

Art.

TurboDiverArt said:
In fact the precision is so great that Dave needs to run two of them to cool properly.

Art.

Better check again Art that is not a true statement.

Precision never made claims that their standard intercooler was safe for a 1000 hp car I believe it's rated for 800HP. You must have is confused with the guy who claimed his was the last one you will ever need or it's mean,nasty and wild.

TurboDiverArt said:
Not planning to get into this thread, I've tried to stay out of it. Otto, did you think for a minute that posting this was going to cause anything other than stirring up crap again?
I'm not going to bring in the facts about testing before and after temps as well as pressure drop, we've been through this before. I would expect the BA to run cooler than Jack's original. The technology is about 4 years newer and it's 50% bigger, what else would you expect?

I think it’s amazing that you guys posted crap on TBs.com and were run off. Then you posted on T6P and were run out.
Art.

Art,You are right about this statement,I was pretty sure this would happen,But i was given a product to test,I am not done testing it but i did post preliminary results,Once it is on my car all of the above things,(pressure drop,before and after temps,etc....) will be monitered,Jim car did not have the provisions.But for me to not post any results from a product i was asked to try would be wrong on my part, Agree?

If(and ill say it again) It was posted in this thread that this cooler is larger and thicker and by no mean do the 2 intercoolers compare.Jack asked for data from Jim,He got it.It was not posted.and still hasnt been.

As far as running off, i havent posted on either of the other boards in a while,neither because i was run off.

top gun said:
Better check again Art that is not a true statement.

Precision never made claims that their standard intercooler was safe for a 1000 hp car I believe it's rated for 800HP. You must have is confused with the guy who claimed his was the last one you will ever need or it's mean,nasty and wild.

Damn Dave.. You don't even care that everyone knows you just plain lie just to get Jack. Are you so ignorant that you don't think anyone will take 2 secs and check you "facts"?? and I use the word fact as losely as you can. Since you thought precision rated it 800 and they rate it at 950 and it seems to be lacking on either of those claims will you be starting an all out campaign on PTE next? I'll call Harry and warn him.

I think it time for you to Answer the Questions Dave. Why do you continue to lie just to attack a vendor you have never purchased from?

According to Precision, they rate it at 950 HP. http://www.precisionturbo.net/intercoolers-buickairtoair.php

Here's a good one.. How do you tell if Bamford is lieing......... easy his lips are moving. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I agree! I sat down and read this whole thing and guess what? I wasted about 15 minutes of my life. I try to read these threads to learn how to make my car faster and better. I look for the experience offered by the veterans and try to help others with my experience(as little as it is). I really could care less to hear "grown" people taking cheap shots at each other about intercoolers. WHO CARES! If you have a beef with someone, call them or better yet meet face to face and work it out however you feel fit. I know 1 person of this board personally and if I have a problem with him, this would be the last place I would discuss it with him. I have bought and sold parts with other members and 99% of them are a pleasure to deal with. I have got help form the archives and most of my questions answered very quickly, but there seems to be a select few that think they are above us other guys and thats alright. Some of us enjoy this HOBBY and meeting other TR enthusist, maybe some of you should try that also.

Otto, I Was Getting 1.42 60ft Times On Under
10lbs. Guess My Chassis Works Well!
Like I Said Before I'm Learning To Drive The Car.
I Thought A Seven Pound Launch And 24 Psi
Was Good For A 10.30 Pass. Actually I Was Suprised
When I Saw The Slip, Because I Launched So Soft.
What Does That Say About Dual Ball Bearing Turbos?
I'm Not Going To Pick A Random Boost Number For The Launch.
The 60ft Will Dictate The Boost Number I Use.We Have Two Tsm
Legal Cars At This Shop One Lock Up,One Not.The Gtq Is Tough
To Spool, So That Car Is Going Lock-up.

I wont argue BB turbos,I am ordering one.And that GTQ is tough to spool fast,but i will have it as good as it can with the convertor we use.
1.42 is a good 60ft for a low 10 car.I hear ya with hte random boost number ,I use my innovative controller and the 2 step to get it where i want it.

Sorry Sully, I made a mistake and miss quoted the HP on the Precision unit, you know how that goes "I am getting" "I got this season" I just hit the wrong keys like you did 3 or 4 times in this thread.

I have purchased from Jack in the past, but I have heard if you deal with him long enough thing will go bad.

top gun said:
Sorry Sully, I made a mistake and miss quoted the HP on the Precision unit, you know how that goes "I am getting" "I got this season" I just hit the wrong keys like you did 3 or 4 times in this thread.

I have purchased from Jack in the past, but I have heard if you deal with him long enough thing will go bad.

Actually mine was a where you put the emphasis on the sentence thing. It could be read either way. Are you saying you were trying to type 950 and your fingers accidently hit 800?

I heard it the other way around. For any vendor that has to deal with you long enough it goes bad ;)

TurboDiverArt said:
Not planning to get into this thread, I've tried to stay out of it. Otto, did you think for a minute that posting this was going to cause anything other than stirring up crap again? I know you, you are smarter than this. All Bamford has done throughout this thread is take shots at Jack. I don't run Jack's intercooler or the BA. I run an old Precision front mount that Dave says is so great. It's rated for high HP cars from Precision. Mine's anything but a high performance car by today's standards. 9.8's at 21 psi of boost in a 3675# car and the intercooler spits fire out. Typically I'd see MAT's in the range you saw, 170-190. You don't see me bitching about it and blaming Precision and dragging them through the mud. The Precision is anything but a 9 second intercooler yet many, many people have run it into the 9's. In fact the precision is so great that Dave needs to run two of them to cool properly.

I think it’s amazing that you guys posted crap on TBs.com and were run off. Then you posted on T6P and were run out. now you’ve found a new home to post crap. hope you like your new home because it's the last one left. Maybe next you'll go over to the **** board, lots of people will be able to read it there. You guys would single handedly quadruple the post count there.

Art.

Correct me if I'm wrong here,but was Jack's tested IC a 3" thick core?
Put that up against a 5" thick core and I would EXPECT a big improvement in outlet temps[even Jack agrees].
What the test DID seem to illustrate was that you CAN get TOO big of a core[too much internal air mass for the engine to breathe propery].
I base that statement on the lack of a substantial increase in MPH/ET.
Perhaps the 4" from BA would have worked better?

The Radius Kid said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here,but was Jack's tested IC a 3" thick core?
Put that up against a 5" thick core and I would EXPECT a big improvement in outlet temps[even Jack agrees].
That is why is siad this is not a comparison between the two,Just resluts of 2 different coolers on the same 10.00 car.
One i believe may be overkill,But the other goes the opposite way.
The 4:" thick may be the right one for Jims car.

KLHAMMETT said:
That is why is siad this is not a comparison between the two,Just resluts of 2 different coolers on the same 10.00 car.
One i believe may be overkill,But the other goes the opposite way.
The 4:" thick may be the right one for Jims car.

I see we're on the same page.
The ideal IC is basically a piece of straight pipe with perfect transfer of BTU's at an infinite CFM flow.
Unfortunately,the front grille area of a TR is NOT the most hospitable environment for an IC[it's better than nothing though].
Airflow through that area CAN BE sketchy at best[given the rad,etc.],so we're stuck using larger IC's and using *maybe* 60-70 percent of their potential cooling capacity.
Kinda like wearing a poor fitting size 12 shoe when what you really need is a good fitting size 9. :)

V6 Beast said:
Actually mine was a where you put the emphasis on the sentence thing. It could be read either way. Are you saying you were trying to type 950 and your fingers accidently hit 800?

I heard it the other way around. For any vendor that has to deal with you long enough it goes bad ;)

Sully, I made a mistake I "thought" it was rated at 800HP thanks for pointing that out.

I didn't want to error on the high side like your boy Jack did with "The Jack"

Please list the vendors that have had issues dealing with me, I pay my bills what more can they ask for?

Sully, I made a mistake I "thought" it was rated at 800HP thanks for pointing that out.
I didn't want to error on the high side like your boy Jack did with "The Jack"

yA RIGHT DAVE... 1000 CU INCH CORE, (pte) COMPARED TO A 1470 CU.IN. CORE, (tHE jACK) made by the same company, 1000" core rated at 950hp, takes a real rocket scientist to fiqure the HP of a 1470" core... :rolleyes: like I said Davey, put the crack pipe down.... you are trying to hard..... :p

I have a stock IC with a dutt neck. My outlet temps are in the 40 deg range and it pulls a vacuum. I have never had my car to the track, but I'm pretty sure it makes somewhere around 10,000 HP with a TE44 and Champion iron heads.

Anyway... my question... will 275's fit in the back without rubbing?