Talk me into installing a progressive alcohol injection kit on my car...

zigm

My 87 Turbo T seems to have a very well balanced combo, and is running terrific on 93 pump gas. I'm running 20psi boost with ZERO knock @ 18/20 timing. O2's are a stable 760mv @ 1620EGT during 3rd gear WOT blasts. With previous owner, the car reportedly ran 11.8x @ 114 on 23psi with an older non-progressive system that has since been removed. The car sees 200 miles a week as a daily commuter.

So... tell me what performance benefits I would get with a ~$450 shiny new alky injection kit.

I'm thinking the most I can "safely" push things with alky would be 24psi with 21/23 timing. (right?)
This would only net around 50 to 60hp?

I don't think I can run much more than 24psi without lifting the (never touched) heads. (right?)

Thoughts/Comments welcome.

Times in sig were with dual M10 nozzles and 21 degrees timing in all gears (27 to 28 pounds of boost:) ). Now running an M10&M15 with the controller turned down & running 24.8 degrees 1st/2nd & 21 3rd/4th... (Zero knock even when it's 90+ in the afternoon)

Most guys here haven't needed dual nozzles until running in the 120mph range, I think I need it because of the high altitude

i was running 26psi on a stock motor all day long. Alky will pay for itself down the road.

I had an old on-off alcohol system for a few years, and it worked well. But the progressive alchy systems are much better. I recently installed the Alchy Control kit. It is adjustable and increases alcohol based on boost. The nozzle on the old kit was for nitrous. The nozzle on the new kit is much better. The old kit's pump probably wasn't made for alcohol and finally locked up, after shedding bits of impeller and periodically clogging up the jet. The new systems pump tolerates alcohol, and the system has a filter.

24# with 93 octane and alchy and no knock.

Doing no tuning whatsoever I ran 25psi straight away on a stock motor with no knock. So far so good.

In TWENTY ONE years of owning these cars, 7 different ones through the years,
the Alch Control Kit is HANDS DOWN the Best Mod Period. Doing Nothing Else,
on a Stock BPU Tr, I went from 103MPH to just about 108mph(at only 20-21PSI), that 50 Horsepower, with More on the table in my case with finer tuning.....Need Any More Convincing???

Some conservitive boost numbers here... :) I was pushing 30psi (te60) with razors kit on an unopened motor without any knock, until the trans went... :) An alky kit and WB correction combo can't be beat...Ask Eric about his WB chips too.

At first I was a nonbeliever. When I bought my car, it had a DIY alcohol setup on it. I never could get it to perform properly, so I burned racing fuel, to get the most performance. Last spring one of the locals had a stock long block car at the track and was running 11 teens at 29# boost. After that a few others around here began getting them, so I jumped on the bandwagon as well.

After installing the Alky Control kit and a wideband back in the spring, I had some trouble with the wideband. I have now finally gotten the wideband straightened out, and with a conservative tune (23/21 @ 24#) the car is a BEAST on the street. My only disappointment is that I didn't do this sooner.

26* of timing and 30 psi here...Stock long block except valve springs, good times, but wouldn't recommend running it that way all the time.

Somebody post a picture of a blown headgasket. I don't have any pics....cuz I run alcohol.

Alky

+1 for alkycontrol.com. Julio is the man. Makes a great product with the customer support to back it up. You just can't go wrong.

i have had my gn for 2 years and this spring put alky on.Should have done it as my first mod.It makes a world of difference,infact my wife's typhoon if gets moded alil will be getting a alky kit.Ran 11.85 at 22lbs of boost on a street tire,and there is more in the car.I have not messed with timing,fueling or any other settings in the turbo tweak chip.Simply the best bang for the buck out there...:biggrin:

Dammm.. this reads like an "infomercial" for Alkycontrol :biggrin: I also agree with everyone else here .. nice "kit" with all SS braided lines (not plastic/nylon or push on hoses that can break...can you say FIRE :eek: ) Service is second to none.. Very simple to set up . Results speak for themselves .. Especially in the Buick Turbo "world" .. My daughter ran in the nines in street trim with alky on her "beater/driver" :biggrin: BEST BANG FOR THE $$$$ as far as we are concerned :cool:

that link says the account for that domain name has expired.

Yup.. got the account 5 years ago when I opened the business July 29th, 2003.. they had an old email addy so I never got the notice :mad:

Should be back up in no time :redface:

Of course this happens when I go on vacation :D