Taking a risk here!

$9.50 hr. I'm not sure what AZ pays here on the east coast but damn. They are hiring managers at WaWa and Royal Farms (both conveinence stores) here that start out at 42k a year. For the certifications that you hold one would think that the pay would be appropriate.

Congratulations Charlie....

Congrats on making it out alive... I've thought about jumping the AZ ship too. Good luck on making it work.

By the way... do you need any help at your shop?

Jerry Berger

Did you contact your RHRM about your issue?? The no hrs to operate the store as you say it is only a seasonal thing anyway

My RM is the RM of the year so he gets pretty much what he wants.:mad: He's the one that's in charge of giving us hours. In our case it's not seasonal, it's normal. We have 6 employees and are given a total of 180 hours to operate for the week.

Where are you opening your shop and when. I have been very blessed with my work but kinda tight on time. I would love to have a shop that I could trust to work on my stuff. I am going to be rebuilding the motor in the Syclone soon and we may be able to "help" each other out. I am PMing you my cell #. Jon Hanson

The shop is in Hillsboro Jon. A bit of a drive but I'm sure I could help you out if you want to bring it up here.:smile:

Congrats on making it out alive... I've thought about jumping the AZ ship too. Good luck on making it work.

By the way... do you need any help at your shop?

Jerry Berger

Right now no JJ, but that may change soon. Income tax is coming in a people are getting their cars fixed right now so it should be good for a while. If I do you know I'll give you a call for sure.:smile:

Good luck Charlie. I have a good feeling you will do well on your own. I know I do pretty well just building transmissions at home but just don't want to own my own shop as my only income still.

Trannies are a little limited Eric so I know how you feel there. Mines gonna be a little more general so I can take advantage of more customers needs. I'm doing it to survive this stupid ecconomy because there seems to be no end to lack of money these days and no one wants to pay anything to someone willing to work, even if they have the knowledge to do something.

I agree. I pretty much take on everything at home but transmissions are the biggest jobs I always have going no matter what time of year it is. Especially with the German air force within an hour drive from me.

Trannies are a little limited Eric so I know how you feel there. Mines gonna be a little more general so I can take advantage of more customers needs. I'm doing it to survive this stupid ecconomy because there seems to be no end to lack of money these days and no one wants to pay anything to someone willing to work, even if they have the knowledge to do something.

if I could id send my buick and the Merc your way charlie...

good luck brother ! I closed my paint shop a while back because noone has any money and I will NOT paint a car for 800 bucks like most think it can be done for. Ast manager at an advance auto parts now at 12 hr but at least it keeps food on the table. Working 50 hrs a week with the 10 being overtime so its better than nothing for sure. I hope it all works out for you ! Daniel Ray

if I could id send my buick and the Merc your way charlie...

The shipping would kill you kid. Then you'd get my bill and fall over.:eek::biggrin:

good luck brother ! I closed my paint shop a while back because noone has any money and I will NOT paint a car for 800 bucks like most think it can be done for. Ast manager at an advance auto parts now at 12 hr but at least it keeps food on the table. Working 50 hrs a week with the 10 being overtime so its better than nothing for sure. I hope it all works out for you ! Daniel Ray

The issue here is I'm one of the assistance and we are all getting about 30 hours a week, except the manager that's on a 50 hour salary and leaves early all the time.:mad: It's a low volume store so they don't feel we should have enough hours to staff the store fully. There's some times that we have one person in it for several hours. It completely mismanaged and it won't get any better.

Givem hell Charlie. I wish you the best on the shop. Let me know how it works out, I might be in the same boat soon.

I really do understand Dave. I've picked up some customers already. One's from Fort Worth even.

Best of luck to you, Charlie. I sure hope it will work out for you....sad it's this way for you, the world's not an easy place. With your knowledge and expertise you possess (which you have shown so well here on the board) you should do OK.

I've always seen you as an expert in your field here. Godspeed.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Charlie, you will be fine. You will be doing what you are good at and what you truly know. I think your client base will grow when they learn how you do things and what kind of a person you are. As many of the guys on here know, you are definitely top shelf!

A buddy of mine did the same thing and started out small by himself and earns comfortable living. He isn't making himself rich, but his health and well-being doing what he wants and not working for jackasses is worth much more than some extra money.

If times get slow, you can keep an eye out for cars on craigslist that people don't want to fix or fix up and sell cheap. You can fix in spare time if you have an open day or open few hours, then turn around and sell for a profit.

Things happen for a reason, and oftentimes people get comfortable, even if unhappy. When you take chances and work hard, I think it pays off. You will be good, and I will say a prayer for your success brother!

Charlie, you will be fine. You will be doing what you are good at and what you truly know. I think your client base will grow when they learn how you do things and what kind of a person you are. As many of the guys on here know, you are definitely top shelf!

A buddy of mine did the same thing and started out small by himself and earns comfortable living. He isn't making himself rich, but his health and well-being doing what he wants and not working for jackasses is worth much more than some extra money.

If times get slow, you can keep an eye out for cars on craigslist that people don't want to fix or fix up and sell cheap. You can fix in spare time if you have an open day or open few hours, then turn around and sell for a profit.

Things happen for a reason, and oftentimes people get comfortable, even if unhappy. When you take chances and work hard, I think it pays off. You will be good, and I will say a prayer for your success brother!

I needed to hear that Squid, thanks.:smile: I had 2 ops today and since I was at work I just couldn't do the work. This is one of the good things here is because no one is open after 12 noon on Saturday or open on Sunday so I have the chance to make more than most. You have to be able to take the op when it comes around after all.:biggrin:

Well I finally got fed up with working for AZ and have put my 2 week notice in. I'm opening the shop up full time because AZ doesn't pay enough to keep me from worrying about the rent. I'm full time but can't afford insurance through them because I don't make enough to pay for it.:mad: Wish me luck guys because if I can't make it work I'll be homeless soon.:eek::mad:

You'll be fine.
People still remember what honesty is....although it's getting awfully hard to find these days.
Sounds like a little help is on the way as well.
Good luck with your new "Garage".:)

everyone who ever succeeded took a risk. im sure ull be one of those people. ur as sharp as they come.

how hard would it be to get ur old job back at AZ? I would think u could score a job at many places down there or are jobs very scarce?

everyone who ever succeeded took a risk. im sure ull be one of those people. ur as sharp as they come.

how hard would it be to get ur old job back at AZ? I would think u could score a job at many places down there or are jobs very scarce?

Thanks Brett.:smile:

Jobs are scarce down here right now and since there's more than a few people looking they low ball you.:mad: If I was closer to DFW I could probably get more but when I work on the side I charge $35 an hour for my time. Waco is even worse than here. I hate to say it but it has to do with the people in charge and what church you go to.:mad:

There's even a local used car dealer that I put an ap in at and they wouldn't hire me because I was master certified. They just want parts changers.:mad:

Charlie I wish you all the best! Just hang in there, plan accordingly and all will work out in due time.

got chewed out today!

Well I paid my rent today and told my land lord what's going on. He chewed me out.:frown: Because I hadn't done it before now.:eek: He proceeded to tell me that I was an idiot for not doing it until now and has given me his blessing so it's going to be good one way or another.:biggrin: Looks like I'm on my way to making a decent living now.:cool: