Taking a risk here!

There's even a local used car dealer that I put an ap in at and they wouldn't hire me because I was master certified. They just want parts changers.:mad:
Yea, thats what I figured. Saving money vs. providing the best service.

Law enforcement is no different. They could care less what works best and is most useful. Its about gettings things done the cheapest way possible and hoping for the best and cutting OT.

I actually have a couple of friends (non police) that lie on their resume when applying for jobs these days. A few have masters degrees and are simply putting associate degrees because they are afraid they over over qualified. Thats pathetic.

Yea, that's what I figured. Saving money vs. providing the best service.

Law enforcement is no different. They could care less what works best and is most useful. Its about gettings things done the cheapest way possible and hoping for the best and cutting OT.

I actually have a couple of friends (non police) that lie on their resume when applying for jobs these days. A few have masters degrees and are simply putting associate degrees because they are afraid they over over qualified. That's pathetic.

I'm over qualified for what I do now but I have made a dent in the status quoe Brent. I'm tempted to call my RM once I'm gone and tell him what I think of him though.:biggrin:

Well I paid my rent today and told my land lord what's going on. He chewed me out.:frown: Because I hadn't done it before now.:eek: He proceeded to tell me that I was an idiot for not doing it until now and has given me his blessing so it's going to be good one way or another.:biggrin: Looks like I'm on my way to making a decent living now.:cool:

Is this where we insert a Lamont Sanford quote?:)
Go get 'em.

Don't burn bridges, especially in small towns. Who knows maybe he will refer some work your way some day if you are professional.

Don't burn bridges, especially in small towns. Who knows maybe he will refer some work your way some day if you are professional.

My co-workers have been supportive and have offered to send work my way so I'm not that worried about it right now. Gotta get up early tomorrow. Have one head gasket repair and another to check out as well as the brakes on my car. I also have to put an add in the local paper telling people that and ASE tech is looking to take on clients so I can work at home.:cool:

My co-workers have been supportive and have offered to send work my way so I'm not that worried about it right now. Gotta get up early tomorrow. Have one head gasket repair and another to check out as well as the brakes on my car. I also have to put an add in the local paper telling people that and ASE tech is looking to take on clients so I can work at home.:cool:

Good for you Charlie!:D

Round here, there's enough skilled mechanic's that I don't know how the big shop's stay in business! How well set are you with tech manuals? I've got a bunch of older stuff I'd send your way for the freight cost if you need anything for clientel of those vehicles(80's-90's). Don't know if that's even useful stuff today, but it's yours if ya want it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I can see if I've anything you need.

Put some kind of ad on craigslist too! Make sure to put up a phone number as well

That's what I'm going to do next week just before I leave James. A friend of mine is wanting to start a web site for me as well and I may take him up on it.:smile:

Good for you Charlie!:D

Round here, there's enough skilled mechanic's that I don't know how the big shop's stay in business! How well set are you with tech manuals? I've got a bunch of older stuff I'd send your way for the freight cost if you need anything for clientele of those vehicles(80's-90's). Don't know if that's even useful stuff today, but it's yours if ya want it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I can see if I've anything you need.

WOW! Thanks.:cool: I'll have to hold off on that right now though. I do have access to mitchell right now and once everything gets going I'll probably join ATN as well. Right now I just need to get everything up and running. It will put my car back on the back burner again but I need a living more than the car at this point.:frown:

I wish you luck Charlie! You definitely have the skill and the know how.

SW.

Best of luck Charlie and Rich. I synpathize with you both. I got layed off in Nov '07 and I had started building a new house 5 months prior. I had 2 jobs from jan 08 thru april 2010 which amounted to about 6 months work total! Thank goodness for unemployment and extensions. Have now been employed for 10 months full-time and enjoying every day more and more since my father passed 3 weeks ago. Everyone, take care!
steve

Thanks Steve. Sorry to hear fo your dad passing. Ofically the shop opens for work on Monday the 7th.

Charlie-
Best of luck and blessings to you. You have a very rare commodity. Actually two. Selflessnes and integrity. You will do well. Sometimes God can't give us what He wants to until we empty our hand.

It will put my car back on the back burner again but I need a living more than the car at this point.:frown:

I know the feeling. I planned on pulling the engine and trans on mine to freshen it up almost a month ago...it's still sitting there untouched. I haven't even pulled the turbo off to send it out to Precision yet.

One other thing. Make sure you have someone that can help you out once in a while. I had to swap the engine (4.0L) in a Cherokee today. It would have been nice to have another set of hands.

Charlie-
Best of luck and blessings to you. You have a very rare commodity. Actually two. Selflessness and integrity. You will do well. Sometimes God can't give us what He wants to until we empty our hand.

Now I really have to say thanks.:redface: It's so true that you sometimes don't get anything until you hit the bottom and start fighting back. That's where I'm at right now.:smile:

I know the feeling. I planned on pulling the engine and trans on mine to freshen it up almost a month ago...it's still sitting there untouched. I haven't even pulled the turbo off to send it out to Precision yet.

One other thing. Make sure you have someone that can help you out once in a while. I had to swap the engine (4.0L) in a Cherokee today. It would have been nice to have another set of hands.

My car sat on the back burner for 2 years before I got her in the shop so I really do know the feeling. I got the rear quarters replaced and the axle modified the way I wanted at least.

As far as help I've had a bunch of guys asking if I needed any helpers. I think 20 so far looking for work. Until I get everything up and running I can't afford to have any helpers, but I know that if I need them I can make a call and get some fairly cheap.:smile:

I'm tempted to call my RM once I'm gone and tell him what I think of him though.:biggrin:

Very un-intelligent plan there..... whats the purpose in that?? :confused: If things go south with your current plan and you REALLY might could use the extra income.... Better put some thought into that.

First - Good luck and Congrats on your new venture,
Next - Don't forget running a Business is NOT just about how good you do the job (thats part of it). Communication skills and appearance goes a LONG way with new potential customers. Keep your overhead low and in control.
BTW you wish you had "Good luck Charlie's" problem, I do!! :eek::biggrin:
Any way Good luck Charlie.

I'm over qualified for what I do now but I have made a dent in the status quoe Brent. I'm tempted to call my RM once I'm gone and tell him what I think of him though.:biggrin:
Not a good idea

X2

Very un-intelligent plan there..... whats the purpose in that?? :confused: If things go south with your current plan and you REALLY might could use the extra income.... Better put some thought into that.
X3

just in case - Maybe work for AZ part time for discount, gas money and to meet potential new clients???

Slowly getting there but it's been a bit of a pain. This last week they decided to upgrade the cell towers to 4G and reception has been hit or miss so I know I've missed some calls. I'm making more than I was at AZ though.:biggrin:

I dont know you Charlie, but just from reading this thread, your a stand up guy in my book!!! I worked for AZ as a delivery driver!! F that place!! I rather not say what i usta do to them little rangers they have!! So good luck and hardwork does pay off!! And karma is a b*tch!! As far as retail... you gotta be with the right company!! My future wife/gf is a store manager at Express( a mid-high end clothing store) She makes almost 100k a yr at 25 yrs old!! Shes been with that company since she was 16!! She is one of the youngest store managers in the company!! Now she gets 10k bonuses almost every qaurter!! Thats if they make quota!! So HARD WORK does pay off!! And shes been motivation for me as well!!! I will be finishing my BSN in nursing here in 5 months!!!

Slowly getting there but it's been a bit of a pain. This last week they decided to upgrade the cell towers to 4G and reception has been hit or miss so I know I've missed some calls. I'm making more than I was at AZ though.:biggrin:

Happy to hear Dude.
Keep up the good work