Stud for intercooler bracket

dmclean

I just found that the stud that holds the intercooler bracket to the engine block is stripped. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement. GM dealer exploded view of the intercooler assembly doesn't show it and the engine block exploded view doesn't either. This is the stock bracket.

Your best bet may be to ask for one in the Parts Wanted section. Someone has to have some laying around. Short of that, maybe take some threaded rod and make a stud out of that.

the block is SAE thread 5/16 -18 the part that sticks out was metric m8 x 1.25
you dont need metric to put it back
get a piece of all thread or SAE stud about 2.5" ,
spin into block ..washer, nut ..tighten to 14lb/ft .. washer ..then slide on IC bracket .. washer , nut ... tighten but not more than 14lb/ft

the block is SAE thread 5/16 -18 the part that sticks out was metric m8 x 1.25
you dont need metric to put it back
get a piece of all thread or SAE stud about 2.5" ,
spin into block ..washer, nut ..tighten to 14lb/ft .. washer ..then slide on IC bracket .. washer , nut ... tighten but not more than 14lb/ft
Thanks pacecarta, The thread on the block side was throwing me. 5/16-18 helps. I may have to tap the block a larger size or helicoil it because I think it may be stripped as well. I just got the car. It was my uncles and has been in a partially heated garage for the last 13 years. I'm going over things before I attempt to start it.

Your best bet may be to ask for one in the Parts Wanted section. Someone has to have some laying around. Short of that, maybe take some threaded rod and make a stud out of that.
Thanks TTyoe85, the dealer I talked to ordered what he thought might be the right part. If not, I can do the threaded rod solution. I would like to get the right part to keep it original so I will try that next week. At least it's easy to change one way or the other.