Street stall ?? How much stall are you driving around with??

Looking to go bigger on the turbo and matching stall speed.
Right now i have a Pro-Torque LU 9.5 2800-3200 stall with a TE60 turbo.
What would you guys recommend for the next step up or the next step after that.
Also i will keep the LU no matter what combo i choose.

Edit

The problem is the LU. There isn't a lockup out there that will work properly on both ends.They need to be locked to get efficiency out of them. That's the difference between a $550 converter and a $1000 PTC 9.5" which works throughout the quarter mile and cruises with very low slip %.

ive been driving with a 9.5" ptc, at zero boost was 2800rpm. cruising with a 3speed at 65mph was around 2600. I just restalled it from an 18 blade to a 20, which should raise the coupling point a few hundred rpm and help the 71mm turbo get into the sweet spot quicker.

if you want to do it right, ditch the lock up and get a PTC.

The problem is the LU. There isn't a lockup out there that will work properly on both ends.They need to be locked to get efficiency out of them. That's the difference between a $550 converter and a $1000 PTC 9.5" which works throughout the quarter mile and cruises with very low slip %.

lol beat me to it

ive been driving with a 9.5" ptc, at zero boost was 2800rpm. cruising with a 3speed at 65mph was around 2600. I just restalled it from an 18 blade to a 20, which should raise the coupling point a few hundred rpm and help the 71mm turbo get into the sweet spot quicker.

if you want to do it right, ditch the lock up and get a PTC.
I cruise at almost 70 at 2000 rpm. o_O

This is a change for the sake of change.
BTW My current converter comes in at 6.653 % slip on the big end.
So the next step up from what i have should be???

The story
Two cars, and trying to keep them both moving. the above set up is getting moved to the other car and thats the reason for an upgrade on this car, i figure since i will need to buy another turbo and converter i might as well upgrade.:cool:

david you have to understand james only has three gears , he is not running a 2004r ..no overdrive and no luck up on the TH400
finding a lockup that will hold and not slip at WOT with the power combos these days isnt going to be easy , so you end up with a lockup that you may be happy with the zero slip being locked up cruising but at the track you have to run it unlocked and youll be lucky if your slip is under 15%, and that cheaper lockup wont hold up with higher HP and youll blow through it and slip into the 20% on slippage

with the ptc non lock on a trans with 4 gears your cruise rpm (and low load ) might be 3% higher than with a lockup but even at wot at the track youll be under 6% slip at the big end and not be blowing through the converter

david you have to understand james only has three gears

3gears.gif

I have a TCS 3000 LU in my car and it feels real close to stock. When I do it again, I'm going strongly consider the 9.5. I didn't buy one for fear of the slipping feeling in around town driving. The more I read it seems it was an unreasonable fear. Kind of like my fear of flying, in the air anyway.

I have a TCS 3000 LU in my car and it feels real close to stock. When I do it again, I'm going strongly consider the 9.5. I didn't buy one for fear of the slipping feeling in around town driving. The more I read it seems it was an unreasonable fear. Kind of like my fear of flying, in the air anyway.
Dusty's 9.5 is unexplainable for around town driving, very close to stock feeling. I would buy another in a heartbeat !!

Bryan

OK the wave is coming in no sense fighting it especially since nothing else works.
How do they (PTC) work on long trips heat wise?? I am the guy driving on I95 3 states over to visit family in the car WITH the wife, kids and a loaded trunk.
I am also the guy that regularly drives 118 miles one way to visit his kid.
I actually drive this much long distance in my car. these are some of the reasons why i DON'T have a problem with a small compromise.

TURBOPOWERED68 said:
OK the wave is coming in no sense fighting it especially since nothing else works.
How do they (PTC) work on long trips heat wise?? I am the guy driving on I95 3 states over to visit family in the car WITH the wife, kids and a loaded trunk.
I am also the guy that regularly drives 118 miles one way to visit his kid.
I actually drive this much long distance in my car. these are some of the reasons why i DON'T have a problem with a small compromise.

If you're under 500hp you can get a lockup to work ok unlocked. No sense in changing converters if yours is working. You stated a little over 6% slip out the back. I'd bet at zero boost/zero vacuum that your converter is around 2400 stall speed. Plenty for a stage 3 turbine with a small cam. With a larger cam and or larger turbine you will need more stall down low but still need to get coupling and that's where the high $ converter is needed.

If you're under 500hp you can get a lockup to work ok unlocked. No sense in changing converters if yours is working. You stated a little over 6% slip out the back. I'd bet at zero boost/zero vacuum that your converter is around 2400 stall speed. Plenty for a stage 3 turbine with a small cam. With a larger cam and or larger turbine you will need more stall down low but still need to get coupling and that's where the high $ converter is needed.
ill check the ZERO stall today and report back.
I am going to need a new converter no matter what for one of the cars.
Not sure if you are familiar with Pro-Torque but they are far from cheap $$$. I do realize that they are NOT meant to go WOT locked up which is why i don't do it (besides the ton of KR i get-another day/thread)

Thanks for all the replies i really do appreciate you guys taking your time to answer my dumb questions.

Disclaimers
1-humor does not transfer well in writing.
2-I don't think or try to know more than any one.
3-I keep asking until i get to the point when I fully understand the point being made. So please don't see it as if i am asking a question then challenging the answer that is NOT the case at all.
Just trying to learn.
Thanks again for your help.
David.

TURBOPOWERED68 said:
ill check the ZERO stall today and report back.
I am going to need a new converter no matter what for one of the cars.
Not sure if you are familiar with Pro-Torque but they are far from cheap $$$. I do realize that they are NOT meant to go WOT locked up which is why i don't do it (besides the ton of KR i get-another day/thread)

Thanks for all the replies i really do appreciate you guys taking your time to answer my dumb questions.

Disclaimers
1-humor does not transfer well in writing.
2-I don't think or try to know more than any one.
3-I keep asking until i get to the point when I fully understand the point being made. So please don't see it as if i am asking a question then challenging the answer that is NOT the case at all.
Just trying to learn.
Thanks again for your help.
David.

The more expensive pro torque doesn't work as well on small displacement turbocharged engines as the 9.5" PTC. I've seen them back to back. The coupling efficiency was ok on a 550-600hp engine with the stall @ 2800 or less. Looser slowed the car down out the back and tighter the car was lazy out of the hole and from street rolls. If the turbo, cam, cam timing, and CR was spot on the converter will work well even with 2800@0 and 10 sec capable turbos.