Street car: Bigger Intercooler vs. Alky kit

dougie

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't really find an answer searching the archives.

For my street car, running 60Lb injectors, LS1 MAF, RJC power plate, 3" downpipe, Hooker exhaust, no cat, adjustable boost controller; what would be the best to use be able to run more boost? A larger stock location intercooler, or an alky kit? I currently run about 18 lbs of boost with no knock. Motor is stock with 31000 miles and never opened up. What kind of tuning issues are there with the alky kit? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

ALKY. The single most impressive item I have added. Very simple and what a difference.

Coach

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I couldn't really find an answer searching the archives.

For my street car, running 60Lb injectors, LS1 MAF, RJC power plate, 3" downpipe, Hooker exhaust, no cat, adjustable boost controller; what would be the best to use be able to run more boost? A larger stock location intercooler, or an alky kit? I currently run about 18 lbs of boost with no knock. Motor is stock with 31000 miles and never opened up. What kind of tuning issues are there with the alky kit? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2nd razors alky. very easy to tune and very reliable. as for the bigger intercooler you may not be able to gain anything because it will run leaner and you are on the edge of detonation with 18 psi. with 20/18 timing. installing an alky kit you can run approx. up to 28+- boost and higher timing like 27/25 depending on tuning abilities. give julio a call at http://alkycontrol.com/ he will answer all your questions and help with tuning. good luck on your choice

If you have a $15,000.00 built engine and dont need alky, then thats the way to do it.

If you have a stock engine, there is nothing wrong running a methanol kit like these guys suggest.

Its easy cheap horsepower, turn it on, turn up the boost, turn up the timing, and buy some tires.

BW

Do both.

I'd pick up a used, good aftermarket SLIC for a couple hundred bucks, Razor's alky, TT chip, sticky tires. Then take it to the track and go deep in the twelves.

Mike B.

if you want to buy both i have a friend joe is name on the board is YANGIANT51 he has a cas v2 and a esp both front mounts and bothe great intercoolers. he can hook you up on these items. send him a pm and tell him brian sent you

Some guys do the dutt neck mod to their stock IC's as a simple mod that does help.

After alky, bump the timing up too and that really wakes up the motor. Becuase you run 18 degree's timing at 18 PSI.. is way different than running 25 degree's timing at 18 PSI. The alky will support this. As it will support 23-25 PSI and that 25 degree's timing.. or even higher. It allows a lot of greed when it comes to boost and timing.

Say it like this.. if you keep the same gas and do the IC, you can only run 18-19 PSI at low timing. Meaning you pickup up 10-15 HP. If you put alcohol on it, you can put the boost up 7-8 PSI and crank up timing if you wish. Thats another 75-100 rwhp. Or more. :D Thats why the alky systems are so popular.

Alky is the best bang for the buck hands down.

but you need to consider another aspect of it.
the alky will allow you to run the most boost. but if you want the most power you have to do both. With the alky you will have a cooler charge and better suppressed detonation but even with a TE-44 the stock intercooler becomes a restriction. This restriction in airflow can not be canceled out by adding alky.

For instance if you have a car set up like yours that has a little larger turbo lets say a TE-44 and all the other goodies that go along with it like the DP ect. and you are running about 20# with race gas. if simply change the intercooler you will pick up 5 mph in the 1/4.

this is just another thing to consider when modifying the car. there is more to it than just amount of boost when looking for HP.

one more thing. the stock intercooler and the stock turbo are pretty evenly matched as far as flow vs. restriction goes. simply adding an intercooler to a car with a stock turbo does not help much. it only becomes a factor when you start to flow more air than the intercooler can support. then changing the intercooler makes a BIG difference. That is why the old timers are always saying it is the "combination" of parts that makes a car run good not just a single magical piece.

Thanks for all the great information. It sounds to me like Alky is the way to go, at least initially. I hate to sound stupid, but when you say turn up the timing, what is required to do that? Electronics are not my strong suit. How do you go about adding timing? Thanks,

Thanks for all the great information. It sounds to me like Alky is the way to go, at least initially. I hate to sound stupid, but when you say turn up the timing, what is required to do that? Electronics are not my strong suit. How do you go about adding timing? Thanks,

The new chip you will need will do the timing.

I find the stretch intercooler to become a problem when pulling up to a curb (the intercooler is mounted ahead of the front wheels, making the intercooler vulnerable).

A front mount intercooler might cause the TR to run hotter, however it doesn't have any "curb interference issues".

I like the ATR liquid intercooler.

See Razor's post. Alky does make sense.