Spectre air filter destroyed my turbo.

You cant take any action against Spectre .. that aircleaner should have never been used in your application .. period
Why is that? Just because it is cheap or is it not meant for boosted motors?

Or any other application for that matter....

Where I was going was ... if that was used on a Typical install on a HONDA... it will be mounted on the inlet which has a Maf.. ( typically screened)

So if it comes off .. who cares ...

Its not meant for a BOOSTED application let alone one that has no maf or screening ..

Sorry to the OP .. it is a problem Agreed .. is it right the filter came apart .. NO

but you lined yourself up for this .. you saw the insides of the aircleaner .. a K&N is only 1 day away from anyone ..

Maybe if you plead your case.. they will help out.. certainly worth a shot .. you have nothing to lose at this point ...

Also if it was me .. I would pursue for a complete engine, turbo, intercooler, ( COMPLETE FIX IT) this would make your case stronger.

Just make sure that you have fully read and understand the labeling and stipulations on the product offering .

Good luck !

I wish I could convince you guys that I had no idea this would be a bad filter. I didn't purchase the spectre to save money. I bought it because it was available and looked just like the one that fell of. I guess thats how they get you. Its not something that even crossed my mind at any point, now it sure will.

You cant take any action against Spectre .. that aircleaner should have never been used in your application .. period

If that was the case they would be required to state such a fact on the box to limit there liability. No where on the box does it state it is not intended for a boosted application.

If that was the case they would be required to state such a fact on the box to limit there liability. No where on the box does it state it is not intended for a boosted application.

By defacto that you did not use a filter made for a 1987 Buick Grand National... and that you choose a UNIVERSAL RACING FILTER ... they have you by the sack

Again worth a try but be ready to be let down

That's not the point. That same air filter could've damaged any number of makes and models of vehicle, it's a stupid design flaw that caused this mess...not the application.

How did that button get passed the honnycomb screen in the mass air flow sensor?

Chuck. I should contact the parts store? I'm almost positive this isn't going to get solved without a lawyer. I'm not positive I have a receipt for this filter.

Last edited:
Let's start out by looking at the facts here and not getting on any high horses or making assumptions. FYI there are plenty of speed density cars out there that would have also sucked this thing right into the turbo as well.
First off. When did you buy it? Unfortunately Spectre only has a 90 day warranty and in all the jibberish it appears that they are limiting their liability to the filter and nothing more.
http://www.spectreperformance.com/warranty?pkid=2434783&rw=1
All that being said, I would still get legal advice on this one. Let's be honest, the filter did not say a word on it about how much CFM it can or can't handle. It also has a poor design with a part that can come loose and get sucked into the motor. That right there would give me enough thought to see if I have a leg to stand on or not. Don't mess with the car until you get a yay or nay on this one. If you have no recourse, then start cleaning up. The IC is going to be the biggest challenge. Lots of chunks could be stuck in the tubes just waiting to get through...even after a good flush. Get a boroscope and look in the cylinders, drain the oil and check for debris, and take apart the oil filter before going further. Honestly I doubt any of it got past the rings, so if you pull the intake and clean it all up good you should be in the clear. Keep in mind the debris is aluminum, which is softer than your cylinder walls, so scratches will be really light. I had a Ford 5.4 that blew a plug out in the middle of nowhere that I had to fix with a helicoil. That motor blew out 3 actually lol. Lots of aluminum shavings in the cylinder and all I could do was fire it up with no plug in it to get it out. Checked it out later and no visible damage.

Just got done making a few calls. First of all apparently K&N and Spectre are the same or owned by the same company. The guy handling my claim worked at Garret when the turbo's for our cars were being developed. Was a real cool guy. I am sending him my receipt, pictures and any invoices associated with the incident. For now, the company seems solid. I still cant recommend this filter in particular however. Stay far far away.

Talked to Steve and a couple other people who all agreed that any damage would have already been done to the motor. The aluminum that would have made it past the intercooler would have been very small to begin with. Anything that made it past the intake will be eaten up by the motor. At worst it could scrape some things here and there but we are dealing with cast iron and steel, and the compressor wheel is soft aluminum. Of course for peace of mind anyone going through this in the future should know that there are no guarantees. I could fire it up and have a chunk get caught in an oil passage or something. Going to roll the dice and hope for the best.

Game plan as of now is to clean out the IC of any debris, Inspect in the intake through the doghouse opening, and pray that Spectre will cover the damage to the turbo.

That's not the point. That same air filter could've damaged any number of makes and models of vehicle, it's a stupid design flaw that caused this mess...not the application.
Not so .. The design might work in every NA application and fail in a boosted one just based on flow characteristics.

Had a beater 87 T blade retainer nut cam off turbo.Damaged looked the same.Put a used blade and nut on
ran another 50k miles no damage noted from a running and hard driven engine-lucky?

I have seen brand new K&N filters with the metal mesh unraveling on the inside. It's all aftermarket parts not just spectre. Honestly I think they are trying to make modding more affordable which is a good thing.
The first G8 Spectre intake came about from a DIY kit that the owner sent to Spectre. They used his mockup to create the cold air kit. Selling now for $130ish vs all the other $350 kits.
Granted it doesn't have a stupid glued on chrome button on the inside of the filter. Good luck OP and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest expense with that failure is that Turbo. Hopefully Spectre will be a good vendor and cover a new one.

Man--talk about déjà-vou--I had a very similar thing happened at the end of last year to my GN. I had a rubber adapter the PO-installed for the reduction from the 3.5 inch intake to the 3.0 inch turbo housing decided to come loose and almost destroyed my pecision turbo. Thanks to Brian bissonette--Aka--Bison rebuilt my turbo to better than new condition. I used a bores cope in the intake and inter cooler and found no metal shavings from the impeller. I changed oil, cut the filter and found nothing. Not a major deal but my car was apart all winter waiting to be repaired. I would highly recommend you call Brian for turbo help. He is the turbo expert. Good luck and have faith brother! Dp

Last edited by a moderator:
Although your impeller is NOT soft aluminum, I doubt it made it past the rings myself. I would wager your walls are fine. IF it made it past the rings, it's your bearings I would worry about, not cast iron cylinder walls. As far as your oil changes cleaning things out, I'm betting that will be sufficient but have fun cleaning that intercooler out. No guarantees on that. They're right when they say something can dislodge later and start the whole process over again. I'd get a new intercooler if I were you. Good luck man. Keep your head up.