Spectre air filter destroyed my turbo.

was there a disclaimer on the box anywhere that said "not for highway use" or anything like that?

i wouldn't even trust Spectre spark plug wire looms to not fall apart, i would never put one of their air cleaners on anything i care about..

Those spectres are junk and k&n to me is too , I run a 9" S&B cone with inverted epoxy cone and these won't crusch under acceleration and are high cfm . I bought mine from Delaware race shop . Have all sizes . You ever need help on a correct part to buy you got my number bro . Stuff in today's parts stores are mostly cheap. Ass junk . S&B filters is the way to go

Those spectres are junk and k&n to me is too , I run a 9" S&B cone with inverted epoxy cone and these won't crusch under acceleration and are high cfm . I bought mine from Delaware race shop . Have all sizes . You ever need help on a correct part to buy you got my number bro . Stuff in today's parts stores are mostly cheap. Ass junk . S&B filters is the way to go

Just spent a few on the S&B site. looks like they have the others covered!
The ad is really funny!:D
http://www.sbfilters.com/index.php/demandbetter
Will do them on the LS and the 87T...

Just a fyi for guys ... K&N doesnt warranty any type of damage caused by a filter either.. Ask me how i know .. Best bet is to screen the inlet to the charger, and replace the air filters every few years before they start to breakdown , and they need to be cleaned !! Prefilters work great!

I would appreciate a part # . I'm running a nine inch K&N three inch right now. After reading this thread I would like to change to the S&B . Thank you. Ray

Just a fyi for guys ... K&N doesnt warranty any type of damage caused by a filter either.. Ask me how i know .. Best bet is to screen the inlet to the charger, and replace the air filters every few years before they start to breakdown , and they need to be cleaned !! Prefilters work great!
Where can I get an inlet screen? This filter was less than 3 months old.

I would appreciate a part # . I'm running a nine inch K&N three inch right now. After reading this thread I would like to change to the S&B . Thank you. Ray

Given that K&N and Spectre are the same company I would highly recommend that. Hopefully they will do right by me and change their filter design. Once they have concluded their investigation and either payed up or held out I will be sending them a link to this post along with a list of anyone who is contemplating switching. That way they can either redesign and apologize or just do what all the other cheap part companies do. I don't think they are out to get us, I think this was just a fluke and I'm the unlucky bastard who found it.

Side note: I think I'm gonna change the name of my car from Black Beauty to Bad Luck Buick haha. Those that know me, know the struggle!

Verocious motorsports.com outta Delaware stocks all sizes . Call them up should have in stock come in red or blue I have a 4" x 9" inverted cone filter from them . I change mine every two yrs . Don't fall apart .

If you go to the link Chuck gave, you can pick all kinds of sizes and configurations.

Verocious motorsports.com outta Delaware stocks all sizes . Call them up should have in stock come in red or blue I have a 4" x 9" inverted cone filter from them . I change mine every two yrs . Don't fall apart .

Thank you kindly

Ray

That's crappy to see that happened to you. When you look at the filter, it's like "Duh. That's not a good idea." But I've done many similar things over the years, like using a hardware store spring for the wastegate and blowing a head gasket. Hindsight is 20/20 with these things, and we all make misjudgements at some point.

If you're not comfortable running your IC again, I have three or four stock IC's in good shape. I'd be happy to send you one for just the price of shipping if it helps you out. Good luck with resolving the carnage.

its called consequential damages .most warranies clearly do NOT cover them.I do heating and air for instance.if a heating system breaks down and the building freezesm the sprinkler pipe freezes, and floods the entire contents of the store we will take care of the broken furnace

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the Spectre air filter. Hopefully they will at least cover the cost to replace or fix the turbo.

It seems that companies who design, manufacture and sell parts to the public don't put a lot of thought into the process or do any actual testing of the parts before making them available. They should be made to put a warning label on the package stating to the buyer. " Buy and use this product at your own risk"

Try not to get a filter that you have to oil after cleaning.....the oil can flow off into the MAF thingy and gunk up the little wire in there and throw off the reading to the computer.....get a dry one.....this idea was recommended to me by the very smart guys on this forum...(I'm the dumb one) They were speaking from experience.

Man, after seeing this, I sure feel bad for you, buddy. Real bad....incredible bad luck! Made me sick to just look at your pictures......being in a position where one just cannot afford to break down the whole engine is really a downer..........ask me how I know.

As far as Bison...well, you'll have no worries at all with him.....NOTHING broken gets past that guy! He's never met a turbo that he can't fix....he's a true genius on those. Amazing man......

As for Steve V. he is outstanding! No worries with him at all either.....he's the one I'll beg and cry to if and when my '87 GN blows up.....tops in his field. You've got some good men here so you'll never be without help.......but still.....really sorry this happened to you.....and I thought I had bad luck.....as a photographer, I shot half of a wedding with a dry booger on my lens......go figure.:rolleyes:

I wish you the absolute best in getting this problem solved.

Bruce '87 Grand National

P1040136.JPG
Glad i saw this thread ,Hopefully I can dig up the phone number of the guy i sold my truck to a few months ago.
I had just put that exact same filter on shortly before i sold the truck.
That big t-trim vortech flows alot of air and must be putting some pretty good suction on that button.

Ps,Good luck with your engine.

Last edited:
That's crappy to see that happened to you. When you look at the filter, it's like "Duh. That's not a good idea." But I've done many similar things over the years, like using a hardware store spring for the wastegate and blowing a head gasket. Hindsight is 20/20 with these things, and we all make misjudgements at some point.

If you're not comfortable running your IC again, I have three or four stock IC's in good shape. I'd be happy to send you one for just the price of shipping if it helps you out. Good luck with resolving the carnage.
Thank you! Im not sure yet on the IC. This is a very nice Cottons unit so Im not quite ready to give up on it. As of right now I have the car covered. Bought a motorcycle and am ignoring the problem until I hear back from Bison on the turbo.

Try not to get a filter that you have to oil after cleaning.....the oil can flow off into the MAF thingy and gunk up the little wire in there and throw off the reading to the computer.....get a dry one.....this idea was recommended to me by the very smart guys on this forum...(I'm the dumb one) They were speaking from experience.

Man, after seeing this, I sure feel bad for you, buddy. Real bad....incredible bad luck! Made me sick to just look at your pictures......being in a position where one just cannot afford to break down the whole engine is really a downer..........ask me how I know.

As far as Bison...well, you'll have no worries at all with him.....NOTHING broken gets past that guy! He's never met a turbo that he can't fix....he's a true genius on those. Amazing man......

As for Steve V. he is outstanding! No worries with him at all either.....he's the one I'll beg and cry to if and when my '87 GN blows up.....tops in his field. You've got some good men here so you'll never be without help.......but still.....really sorry this happened to you.....and I thought I had bad luck.....as a photographer, I shot half of a wedding with a dry booger on my lens......go figure.:rolleyes:

I wish you the absolute best in getting this problem solved.

Bruce '87 Grand National
Yes, Steve, Bison, and Dave Hughes have all had a hand in building car. These guys are solid!