Sometimes you just gotta start over....

One more tip. The alcohol makes a lot of water as a byproduct of combustion. If you're going to start the engine, make sure you reach operating temp before you shut it down for the night. On a cold start, water will collect in the cylinders. When you shut the engine down without enough heat in it, the water will sit around the rings and create rust rings in the cylinder. Nothing major, but you will see them when you tear the engine down if you let this happen. Speaking from experience. Don't just start the engine up for every Tom, Dick and Harry if you're not prepared to fully warm it up.

There's going to be a lot more to think about and take care of when running pure alcohol.

Great post Don!!!

Awesome.

When do you guys plan to take it out for shakedowns?

Hopefully this week.. we still have a little wiring to do and we need to make a wing for the car. Im hoping we can take it to the local 1/8th mile track later this week tho.

Hopefully this week.. we still have a little wiring to do and we need to make a wing for the car. Im hoping we can take it to the local 1/8th mile track later this week tho.

Can't wait, I check this thread like five times a day. :biggrin:

No problem. Anything I can do to help, let me know. Fun time begins.

Our engine management system has some unique features that Im hoping makes tuning a little easier. Unlike most systems that work off of wideband, the KAM system works off of EGTs. Each cylinder has its own EGT probe and the computer monitors every cylinder and adjusts the fuel accordingly. You can set thresholds where the system will add a little fuel and recheck the temperature.. if its not enough, it will add a little more and if that's not enough, it will either cut fuel or spark or both to that one cylinder.

The KAM system does have wideband input and it does use it but the majority of the work is done with EGTs. It's a pretty nice system.

Our engine management system has some unique features that Im hoping makes tuning a little easier. Unlike most systems that work off of wideband, the KAM system works off of EGTs. Each cylinder has its own EGT probe and the computer monitors every cylinder and adjusts the fuel accordingly. You can set thresholds where the system will add a little fuel and recheck the temperature.. if its not enough, it will add a little more and if that's not enough, it will either cut fuel or spark or both to that one cylinder.

The KAM system does have wideband input and it does use it but the majority of the work is done with EGTs. It's a pretty nice system.

Sounds interesting. What target EGT are you using? 1150 to 1200 would be pretty safe to start out with (low boost). 1050 to 1100 for high boost. I wouldn't ignore the O2 until you find out how responsive the EGT system is. I would imagine the O2 system would react faster than the EGT. The supplier of the EGT system should be able to give you a time delay figure. Don't rely totally on the O2 though, especially when you start moving up in the boost and a/f richness. You may be needing to run a/fs without an intercooler that an O2 will not read accurately or at all. Around .7 lambda or most likely lower (.65) without an intercooler. Some supercharged, non-intercooled engines have to run as much as 3.0:1 (.47 lambda).

Run plated plugs and learn how to read them. They are a very valuable and accurate tuning tool in the world of alcohol. NGK plugs are the standard for alcohol engines. One to three thread burn off is the standard target. Start rich enough to where there is no plating burn off and lean it out until the plating begins to burn off. Watch the heat markings in the ground strap too. Halfway down the ground strap. A good safety measure while you're tuning her in is to cut back the ground electrodes until you have a safe tuneup.

Carefully collect data while you work it on the safe side. Don't get greedy too quick. Busted rods are a biaatch.

Another maintenance tip. I don't care what top lube you're using, if any. Flush the fuel system of methanol if the car will be sitting for over 2 days. If you're not using a top lube, flush the system at the end of each day. Don't get lazy on this one. It will save you some fuel system parts and prevent any clogging and sticking problems.

I personally have gone a week without flushing using a top lube, but it's really not worth the risk.

Best top lube in the world. Klotz.

For testing runs, use a top lube. For class events, you may need to run without top lube. Somtimes fuel additives are not allowed and the fuel will need to pass a hydrameter test. Little water content is key to passing this test.

If you can't tell, I'm excited for you guys. You're running a true racing fuel. Can't wait to see it after you have it dialed in.

Well, lets see. 99% of the wiring is done. The only remaining wiring is the air shifter, the chute launcher and the transbrake. Today Randy got the EGTs wired up and some other odds and ends done. The EGTs looked really intimidating but it wasnt bad once we broke it down and got a game plan together. They all worked on the first try, which was a plus.

If all goes according to plan, we'll have the car on the dyno tomorrow.

Well, lets see. 99% of the wiring is done. The only remaining wiring is the air shifter, the chute launcher and the transbrake. Today Randy got the EGTs wired up and some other odds and ends done. The EGTs looked really intimidating but it wasnt bad once we broke it down and got a game plan together. They all worked on the first try, which was a plus.

If all goes according to plan, we'll have the car on the dyno tomorrow.

So is it NOT coming to reynolds??????

So is it NOT coming to reynolds??????

No.. Shane is sick and we wanted a little more time to work some kinks out. most likely we'll take it to the 1/8th mile track here this weekend.

Tomorrow should be a big update day.