So much for Distributors..... :)

bruce

Rest In Peace
I just got the new Hot Rod magazine.

There's a nice write up about the AL Buick engine, and an engine done by KD, interestingly enough, no distributor.....

He went to GenIII Coil Near Plugs....
With a MOTEC.

Fuelie600 said:
Be nice if someone put together a complete bolt on conversion kit. Brian

It's pretty time consuming......

There's nothing difficult about it, just get a second set of Valve Covers, and patiently mock things together til you like what you have, and then start fabing the coil mounts, and harness. The total machine work, was drilling the 1/4" holes in the valve covers.

Time is money, and some things are just so labor intensive, there just wouldn't be much of a demand to make them, because the just cost so much.

Attachments

• CNPclsA.jpg
    CNPclsA.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 601
  • CNPcoils.jpg
    CNPcoils.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 498
  • eDISTHarn.JPG
    eDISTHarn.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 512
49-blues said:
how was the harness figured out?

Looked at the wiring diagram, where the coils were going to be, where the eDist was going to be mounted, and then started soldering. I bought an adapter for the DIS module from Casper's so that the harness just plugged into the oem harness. Not to state the obvious, but, this is something you have to sit down and think about, to get right the first time.

BTW, since that was written there are the new MSD coils, for CNP, and then some CNP coils with out the internal electronics.

What was the cost? and the "days of labor" building that?

Sorry for being stupid, but I dont get what this thread is about. They did a writeup on the AL buick engine? Aluminum? What aluminum engine? Why is it weird that they went with no distributor? Are we talking about some pre- FI aluminum buick block that normally has a distributor? GN motors dont have a distributor....I just dont get what this discussion is about.
Sorry but I didnt get the memo. :confused:

This thread is about the new technology not requiring distributors anymore. Distributors are old technology. But it doesn't mean they are bad for our old buicks...........with aftermarket ecu's

VadersV6 said:
Sorry for being stupid, but I dont get what this thread is about. They did a writeup on the AL buick engine? Aluminum? What aluminum engine? Why is it weird that they went with no distributor? Are we talking about some pre- FI aluminum buick block that normally has a distributor? GN motors dont have a distributor....I just dont get what this discussion is about.
Sorry but I didnt get the memo. :confused:

They are talking about the TA Performance (aftermarket) Aluminum V6 block motor which is based off the iron Stage II Buick block.... As far as the distributor goes, they are talking about guys making a lot of power (around 1000hp or more) who sometimes convert from the stock DIS ignition to the distributor because the wasted spark of the DIS is said to not be the best for the higher HP applications especially in terms of reliability and some have even seen HP gains from switching to the Dist.

Hope that answers your questions and no need to feel stupid for asking questions :cool:

The aluminum block would be T/A performance. The distributor thing is from another thread, where some guys are running distributors with claims of additional HP. HTH, Brian

I didn't mean to post the same thing as 86brick. We must have been responding at the same time.

86brick said:
They are talking about the TA Performance (aftermarket) Aluminum V6 block motor which is based off the iron Stage II Buick block.... As far as the distributor goes, they are talking about guys making a lot of power (around 1000hp or more) who sometimes convert from the stock DIS ignition to the distributor because the wasted spark of the DIS is said to not be the best for the higher HP applications especially in terms of reliability and some have even seen HP gains from switching to the Dist.

Hope that answers your questions and no need to feel stupid for asking questions :cool:
Couldnt have explained it better. :cool:

norbs said:
This thread is about the new technology not requiring distributors anymore. Distributors are old technology. But it doesn't mean they are bad for our old buicks...........with aftermarket ecu's
Yeah I know distributors are old technology, but I didnt get it cause these cars dont have distributors in the first place. Given these cars had no distributors going way back, its almost fair to say that DIS is old technology. :D

Bruce, can anything be adapted from the LS-1 coil near sparkplug system? Those seem to work pretty well.

norbs said:
What was the cost? and the "days of labor" building that?

What the harness, and mounting the coils?.
An evening for the coils.
An evening for the wiring.
Some reading, and thought to how to do it. I dunno couple hours.

There were some emails with Craig about understanding the directions.

VadersV6 said:
Sorry but I didnt get the memo.

While there are folks wanting to play follow the leader with what KD does, in the new HotRod they have an article displaying his latest creation, which uses the GenIII Coil Near Plugs Technology.

The TA AL Block...

Memos, are always getting lost/ misplaced..... :)

norbs said:

Nothing like swapping an old technology, for an even older one. :)

No one's said the distributors are bad.
But, that's not to say they're the best answer.
And no one's saying the CNP shown in the Hot Rod Article, is the best answer either.

The only reason they're *needed* with the aftermarket ecms, is the lack of the aftermarket ecms to be able to deal with things in the same way they have for decades. Ugh, aftermarket ecms other then Motec, they seem to have a handle on things, and with no competition to what they're doing, they can charge what they do.....

Pronto said:
Bruce, can anything be adapted from the LS-1 coil near sparkplug system? Those seem to work pretty well.

In the pics that I attached earlier, I used them, with the F.A.S.T. eDist.