SD2/Powerlogger Pro general discussion

I've been following this thread and I'm impressed with what all this chip can do...I was on the verge of buying a classic fast (can't afford a Fast XFI) but this SD2 will be my choice.... Although I'm a little hesitant to put the tuning in my own hands I've read the manual and think if I take it a little at a time starting with the correct set up then move onto idle etc...it will be fine...
I'm getting ready to buy a set of 80lb injectors currently runnning 60's...Going to wait and install the 80's at the same time as the SD2 chip...Over the winter I put on a 6265 CEA to take place of the 6262 CEA and want to go to the track with my current set up and evaluate things before making the change....Has anyone seen improvememnts at the track with the same set up other than the chip change?? Running bottom 11's consistently, but my combo says there is some room for improvement!! I see lots of value with this chip in the drivability and idle department, I see no reason why this chip shouldn't improve things on the time slips as well...

.Has anyone seen improvements at the track with the same set up other than the chip change??
I think the key is having a good tune with what you have and you probably will have the same results or better with the SD2 but you will be in better control with all the adjustments that are available to do things that was not in your control before . Plus you are doing away with the maf meter

Logged runs using a SD2 last weekend at the track on a car that was supposed to be stock, The VE and spark tables saved car when it shifted at 6000 instead of 5000 and also found the duty cycle well north of 100%. The penny worked.

Has anyone played with boost through the powerlogger yet? I am wanting to set up a tune for 18-19 psi just like the last time I went to the track, but also have a tune saved for 23-25psi. Advise on doing this?

the software will handle the increased boost without retuning (assuming the tune is close as it is), are you referring to how to turn the boost up using the wastegate settings?

Bob

I use powerlogger SD2 to control the boost on mine, via the stock solenoid and wiring. All you need to do is enter duty cycle numbers in the parameters page for 1/2 gear, third gear, and 4th gear.
Now with that being said, it's something you have to sneak up on. I could give you my numbers but not sure how close they would be for you because I use a med duty actuator that has a 14# spring in it. My numbers (right now) yield 19# in 1/2, and about 18 in 3rd and 4th.
If you use them, start at lower values and sneak up on your desired boost.

1/2 = 57.3
3rd = 43.5
4th = 43.1 Not sure about this one because I never use 4th gear for WOT full boost pulls.

BTW, it was easy for me because these are virtually the same values I used in Translator Pro!!

I dont remember at the moment.
yes, but how is the dutycycle set in the SD2

Bob
Bob, I dont remember what the #'s are at the moment.
I use powerlogger SD2 to control the boost on mine, via the stock solenoid and wiring. All you need to do is enter duty cycle numbers in the parameters page for 1/2 gear, third gear, and 4th gear.
Now with that being said, it's something you have to sneak up on. I could give you my numbers but not sure how close they would be for you because I use a med duty actuator that has a 14# spring in it. My numbers (right now) yield 19# in 1/2, and about 18 in 3rd and 4th.

1/2 = 57.3
3rd = 43.5
4th = 43.1 Not sure about this one because I never use 4th gear for WOT full boost pulls.

BTW, it was easy for me because these are virtually the same values I used in Translator Pro!!

Thanks Dave.

So I can save my "current" tune and make a file for it, then increase Boost DC till I creep up to 23-25 psi and save that file. Go back to the old "current" file and take a pass. Then load the 25psi tune in and take another pass.

Do I change ANYTHING when swapping tunes at all?

you can change things in each tune, but don't have to. I would save your current tune, then make small tuning changes, saving every step as a differently named file, and when done, keep the 2 good ones.

Bob

I dont remember at the moment.

Bob, I dont remember what the #'s are at the moment.

Thanks Dave.

So I can save my "current" tune and make a file for it, then increase Boost DC till I creep up to 23-25 psi and save that file. Go back to the old "current" file and take a pass. Then load the 25psi tune in and take another pass.

Do I change ANYTHING when swapping tunes at all?

Nothing real tough about tune files at all. When you get one the way you like it, just use the download/save button on the tune pages to save that tune. Just name it something you'll know what it means.

Then of course there's the upload button to load up a tune file you previously saved.

you can change things in each tune, but don't have to. I would save your current tune, then make small tuning changes, saving every step as a differently named file, and when done, keep the 2 good ones.

Bob

Good points. That's the way I do it.

1/2 = 57.3
3rd = 43.5

Could you post a screen shot of your boost on the pl graph page. Just wondering how smooth it is. Do you have issues with creep or over boost when launching?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So Bob, I'm using the BstC Boost controller and an adj waste gate to change boost. Will there be any issues if I use the Powerlogger to change boost also? Currently my Boost DC is as follows:

Boost DC (1/2) = 84.7 @ 20 lbs
Boost DC 3rd = 80.0 @ 21 lbs
Boost DC 4th = 80.0 @ 21 lbs

I guess this is how you send it because I haven't changed them at all.

If you're using the BstC to control the boost solenoid, then the Powerlogger settings will do nothing. You can use one or the other, not both.

actually the BstC will pass the ECM wastegate pulses thru to the solenoid when it is switched off. so you can switch back and forth between ECM settings and the knob.

(pretty cool, huh.....)

Bob

yeah, it was a fairly popular unit back in the day. I wonder if I should start making them again....

Bob