Ruger Mark III .22 Crimson Trace

Here's the deal on the famous autoloading .22's from Ruger. First off you said that Ruger's not cheap. If you meant THAT ruger, then yes. Though that's not the case with all of them. They're one of the most affordable companies on the market. It's just that the particular gun you chose, is a fad gun (yes, there's trendy guns too) and that explains the price. It's actually a 300 dollar pistol. It just costs that much because soo many people love it. Myself included. They are great guns, but they're not expensive.
As far as a .22 for defense? I know that shot placement is way more important than calibre, but a .22 is a little on the small side.
Though, ammo is still available, and affordable. To use a .22 as a defensive weapon, a lot more training is required. If you can turn a corner, acquire the target (his head ONLY), and squeeze off 3 rounds, with ALL of them scoring a hit, in a SMALL amount of time, then you're good to go. No worries. But if you expect to incap the subject, with a single .22lr to centre mass, you're going to get yourself hurt.
Bottom line, if you can do the training, and achieve the standard, then go for it. Locking it up in a safe, does not preclude it from being utilized as a defensive weapon though. Just get one of those little single gun safes, that you mount to something, and use a quick code to open. They're like 80 bucks at the local gun stores.
A .380? Not that bad, but ammunition is ABSOLUTELY NON EXISTENT. I know, because I search the internet sites EVERY SINGLE DAY for it, and it's DAM HARD to find... Buffalo Bore has it, and it is of VERY high quality. In fact, it's the only .380 ammo I'd bet my life on, in a defensive capacity. Read his loading philosophy on the caliber. You'll be impressed. He's a straight shooter for sure.
Other than that, if you want to get a gun that will work as a defensive piece, and still be affordable to shoot, and have readily available ammo supplies, then get a foreign surplus gun. Something like a Makarov, or CZ82 in 9x18.
For the situation we're in right now, standard issue guns and ammo are not only rare, but expensive as well. Foreign stuff is always coming ashore, because a lot of the smaller european countries, are always in the middle of a calibre or weapons change somewhere. Maybe serbia just nixed their current service sidearm, for a 9mm nato pistol. Bam, there's 2000 barely used serbian pistols up for sale. Or the Czech republic just got rid of their vz58's. Now there's a ton of spare parts, or surplus 7.62x39 ammo available. This translates into cheap surplus for all. I just bought 200 rnds of 9x18mm for next to nothing... The gun costs 189 dollars, and is by a reputable maker (cz). Also got a case of ammo for my AK74. 150 bucks for 1080 rounds.
So with this info, do your research, and settle on what you can afford. As of now, pick your weapon based on MAGAZINE AND AMMO availability, NOT the piece itself. Trust me...
After we get out of this firearms mess (if we ever) then, you can pick your piece based off of ergonomics, value, looks, and craftsmanship. Until then, we're kinda ****ed. Unless of course you have a ton of money, which, if you're a turbo buick owner, I'm going to assume no.

(a little on my background. I've been deep into the shooting sports since I was about 12. Ive been in the army infantry since 1992, and in a very elite unit since 2000. I have been the team armorer since 2000 as well, and have had some formal training as such. I've been collecting weapons since I was 18, and have just bought 5 more guns in the last few months, along with over 60 magazines, and over 7000 rounds of ammo. next to buicks and softball, it's my main hobby. Will hopefully become a full time armorer when I get off this deployment.)

I finally purchased!

I ended up buying the .22 Ruger MK3 for range shooting and the KelTec PF9 for home protection and hopefully soon for carry. We had a gun show in Des Moines last weekend and I picked up both and of course tax for $588. They are both new. My wife and both shot the 9mm tonight 10 rounds each. Basically I just wanted to show her how to load and fire the gun. Surprisingly at ten yards the gun shoots pretty well. Much better than I would have ever guessed.

Oh pictures too.

Attachments

• guns.jpg
    guns.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 988
My Dad passed down a Ruger Mark II to me, nice gun, enjoy shooting at turtles and what not with it, but when I am visiting rentals after dark I take the Kimber .45.

kel-tec .32acp for carrying, very small hammerless weapon, nice piece, I sold my colt mustang .380 which jammed too may times for me and bought me a Marlin .17HMR rifle for the range. and the Walther P-22 with the laser sight for home, the Walther is a very nice piece and fits my hands just right, I would reccommend this weapon if it fits your mits, also that .17HMR will reach out there for a small caliber weapon, it has some zing to it, plus rounds are very easy to come by and a very nice gun to take to the range or desert as well, these are all JMHO.

Ron

.22 is for fun.

.45 ACP will put somebody's azz on the ground. Period.

I had a buddy in NOLA who's wife shot a carjacker with a Beretta 92F...9mm..(he doesn't cheat on her,btw:cool:). Shot him in the belly and he spun around and yelled that she was crazy and he ran to a pay phone and called the cops.:confused::eek::confused:

I replaced my 92F with a small frame Colt Commander Mark IV. I don't think anybody will run off after a carjacking....:cool:

I also have a Taurus .44 with gas reliefs, blue gun in good shape.that I would like to trade for a Featherlight S&W shrouded hammer .38+P. If ya know anybody......:smile:

a glock or a .22. .22 go for around 100 bucks

I'm looking to buy a mossberg JIC .500 (because i'm legally old enough) and a Desert eagle .44 or Action Express .50AE for my 21st

(note... be careful if you own a glock)

if they have that itty bitty red dot painting there chest, they will not care
if it be a .22 or a .45,as they will have them eyes on that dot circling the heart, you could even have them call the police for you while wait, but again
it is not a perfect world, just a thought.

Ron

Congrats on your purchase !! That .22 is a rockin target gun. I'm looking for one of those to help me become a better shooter with my .45.

IMO, .22 are for punching holes in paper. If you want a carry gun or home defense, a
9mm is the minimum I would feel safe with. I carry a .45....carry more than you need and hope you don't need it.

I know this has been posted before, but it still rings true.... When asked why they carry a .45, a TX Ranger responded "because they don't make a .46" :biggrin:

I know this has been posted before, but it still rings true.... When asked why they carry a .45, a TX Ranger responded "because they don't make a .46" :biggrin:

Adam, we got one of these at the new gun shop. Let me know if you want one:biggrin:

deagle%20empty%20test0.jpgaeeea3a0-1774-4c9e-98db-4cfc4c416d7bLarge.jpg

.50 Cal:cool:

Adam, we got one of these at the new gun shop. Let me know if you want one:biggrin:

deagle%20empty%20test0.jpgaeeea3a0-1774-4c9e-98db-4cfc4c416d7bLarge.jpg

.50 Cal:cool:

Everytime I see one of those I fall out laughing cause of this scene NWS (not that bad)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s376ZbPG-OM[/YOUTUBE]

From what I understand the .22 is the choice of many assassins... Seems one in the back of the head at close range just rattles around in the skull shredding brains:eek:

From what I understand the .22 is the choice of many assassins... Seems one in the back of the head at close range just rattles around in the skull shredding brains:eek:

I'll take my chances with a .45 Hydra-Shok to the forehead to scramble brains, thank you.

I actually had the pleasure of holding one of those Desert Eagle .50 Cal's yesterday. Man, what a weapon:eek: Little to big for concealed carry though:tongue: I am thinking of ordering the 24K gold plated one to put in a display case:cool:

I actually had the pleasure of holding one of those Desert Eagle .50 Cal's yesterday. Man, what a weapon:eek: Little to big for concealed carry though:tongue: I am thinking of ordering the 24K gold plated one to put in a display case:cool:

Believe it or not those dudes shoot pretty easily, not near as much recoil as one might imagine. Actually pretty comfortable, little hard to hide under your shirt tale though :rolleyes:

Believe it or not those dudes shoot pretty easily, not near as much recoil as one might imagine. Actually pretty comfortable, little hard to hide under your shirt tale though :rolleyes:

We had the gun + bullets! What do you think happened:biggrin::biggrin:

My hand is a little small, I would perfer a different grip. I think I am going to do the Glock 20/21 conversion to the .50! Awesome piece!

Has anyone checked out the Five-Seven, big grips though, and I understand there is little to no re-coil, but a spendy piece, and somewhere's around 20 rounds in the clip, lot of FPS for a pistol, that would also make a nice HD weapon to