Ruger Mark III .22 Crimson Trace

chadly

I’m in the market for a pistol as I currently do not own one. I’m catching some slack from some friends for considering such a small caliber. The gun would be locked up in my gun safe since I have small children. Therefore home protection is not a concern as it would not be able to readily access it if needed anyway. I also like the fact that I can go to range (local range is free) and shoot five hundred rounds for under twenty bucks.

1) Is anyone familiar with the Ruger Mark III .22 Crimson Trace? What are your thoughts?
2) Is there another gun I should consider as the Ruger is not cheap ($700).

Thanks
Chad

Ruger .380 LCP, great gun and a little higher caliber. .22 is ok does a lot ricocheting, but a .380 gives a little more punch especially with an expandable jacket round. It is hammerless, which is good and about $300

I had a .380 in the past. It was a cheap Jennings and the barrel cracked so I threw it away. The problem with the .380 is bullets are tough to find.

Just picked up a Kel-Tec P3AT. There have been numerous reviews on this piece, but reading between the lines it is a decent gun. You can also get a Crimson Trace for this model. Ammo is tough at times, but not impossible to find.

See below:

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers : .380 AUTO
Weight unloaded lbs. : 8.3 oz.
Loaded magazine : 2.8 oz.
Length : 5.2"
Height : 3.5"
Width : .77"
Sight radius : 3.8"
Muzzle Energy Max : 250 ft lbs
Capacity : 6 + 1 rounds
Trigger Pull : 5lbs

I think he was talking .22's because of the price of ammo... If that is the case .380 is the last gun one needs to buy right now... .380 is the hardest ammo to find...

Rugers are nice guns and that gun will probably last forever. There are several nice .22's out there. If you like the Ruger Mark III style then S&W and Browning make similar pieces at lower prices...

Walther P22 is a very nice .22 that is compatible with all kinds of sights and lasers on the marker. Nice piece for the money...

IMO, you can buy a nice new .22 for shooting and a used larger caliber or shotgun for home defense for $700...

Check out Gunbroker! If you learn to use the search functions to your advantage you can usually get a good grasp of the right price to pay for a gun. Not just the asking price at the store...

I have a LCP 380 that I carry daily. It is NOT a target pistol...in fact it's pretty hard to hit a target with it since it has such a crappy sight picture. It's strictly a point and shoot type of gun.

I also have a Ruger MK1.
It's a very nice target gun, and is cheap to shoot. The quality is very good, and there are plenty of accessories available for them.

Like SGRIM said...check out Gunbroker, or Guns America for pricing, and what's available. You should be able to pick up a nice MK2 and put a holographic sight on it for under $450.

team glock g27 40 small compact easy to conceal.great firearm never leave home without it!

You all bring up some great points. I think I need two guns. I think I will start with a .22 for range shooting and then move on to a larger caliber if I can get a concealed weapons permit. I’m a little biased to the Ruger as I bought my dad one about 15 years ago and I’ve shot it quite a bit and I’m familiar with it. I’m going to have to sleep on this for a week before I make a decision.

I’m going to apply for my pistol purchase permit Monday or Tuesday. I should be able to purchase a gun by the weekend. I understand that the sheriff (I voted against him) in our county will not give out any concealed permits period. However I own rentals in two other counties one of which is supposed to be pretty good about giving them out. I was told and I need to find if it’s true that I can get a permit in one of the other counties since I own properties there.

You all bring up some great points. I think I need two guns. I think I will start with a .22 for range shooting and then move on to a larger caliber if I can get a concealed weapons permit. I’m a little biased to the Ruger as I bought my dad one about 15 years ago and I’ve shot it quite a bit and I’m familiar with it.................

Also, I have been looking at another .22 for my wife [ok, me too!] to do some plinking and target shooting. Whenever we are on a shooting "date", at least 150+ rounds are going to be expended. Rather pricey if we do this with just the 9mm when 550 rounds of .22 LR are only $20.:)

Anyway, we tried a Ruger Mark III at the range the other day, and really liked the way it handled. However, after a couple magazines, it would jam at least once, maybe twice every fill.

Has anyone had this type experience with a Ruger? It this just an isolated case with a gun that is used for a range loaner? Cannot remember the exact model, but sure it was an entry level pistol.

Oh, when I looked to get a .380 pistol, checked around the city and there was not a box available, and have not seen, or know of any, at a retail outlet or gun store locally over the past few months?:confused:

I will tell ya, I picked up 50 .380 for about $18 ( a little high) at Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday. I will say that it is easier to find ammo for my 9mm, but ammo is starting to get easier to find in general I think....or I've had some great luck.

I have the 5 1/2 inch stainless hunter and the 4 1/2 crimson trace also. The laser looks pretty neat but mostly it just shows how much you are shaking when you shoot. I also have a Browning Buckmark. All three of these are great guns but my favorite is the Ruger 5 1/2 hunter.

If you research you will find all sorts of opinions on these and how people say that they jam with the inexpensive ammo. I have put over 1500 rounds through each gun recently with just a few jams using the Remington golden bullets.

I also have a 9mm and .380 but the .22's are my favorite since they are so cheap to shoot. Be sure to watch some youtube videos on reassembling the rugers after cleaning. The manual does a poor job of explaining how to reassemble to gun. Once you watch a video and do it a few times it is easy.

Spend the money and buy the ruger in stainless. It is well worth the money over the others mentioned.

Phil

......If you research you will find all sorts of opinions on these and how people say that they jam with the inexpensive ammo. I have put over 1500 rounds through each gun recently with just a few jams using the Remington golden bullets.

Spend the money and buy the ruger in stainless. It is well worth the money over the others mentioned. Phil

Thanks for the info.:)

I normally use the Remington golden, and may have had another off-brand box that got mixed in that night at the range?

The one we are checking is the 5-1/2" barrel, and I do like stainless, so will check that out.:cool:

I have heard alot of people having problems with that gold Remington stuff... It supposedly flakes real bad too:mad:

I have had good luck with federals and winchesters...

Permit to purchase came in the mail so now I can buy when I’m ready. I’m going to do some traveling this weekend so I will stop at a few places and see what they got in stock.

I think when it comes to .22’s you have to find the brand of ammo that works for your gun. Cheap ammo that makes a lot grime and grit will obviously cause problems. I’m guessing with a small caliber like the .22 there is not much recoil to move the necessary parts and compress the spring to eject the spent shell. A little bit of dirt causes them to malfunction much quicker than the larger calibers.

This should be fun!