Roller Cam Noisey?

Tim Cucci

OK
I got the new engine fired right up and seated the rings. The valvetrain has me worried. Man is it noisy. It does sound like a loud ass sewing machine. Is this normal. I carefully set the preload on all lifters even going as far as getting different length pushrods to equal out the preload as close as I could.
I do have them lightly loaded as low as 013". This is a REV X Roller Kit with a Cloyes double roller chain. How does yours sound?
Thanks
Tim

I have a Comp Cam 218/212 and it is noisy too. The trade off for me is that the growl from the exhaust sounds very menacing.

It is noisy but man does it rev. fast and pull. I can't belive how fast it revs.
I have Valvoline 10w30 in it right now. I will change it in the next couple of days. Will a 15w40 Rotella quiet it down any?
Thanks
Tim

i have the 885 comp lifters and mine is a little noisey. it really isn't that bad but i don't drive mine everyday.

Tim, do you work at Plant Vogle?

Hey Bob
Yes
I work at Vogtle
Knew your Dad. Good Man. Worked Hard and well respected. Always had Buick conversation with him.
Thanks
Tim

I run about 30+ thous preload & mine is pretty quiet with the 210-215 from Mike. TA rockers up top. revs fast & suprised that its not too noisy?

They are noisy, i remember a guy was going to sell me his car, and i went to see it. When he fired it up, being i had never heard a roller before, i didnt buy it cause i figured it had low oil psi. I could hear every lifter! Now that i have a roller, i see now it is noisey.

Yep same thing here too. Alot more noisy than my flat tappet. I guess I will just have to get used to it. Im running weber's 212-206 roller.

sounds like I have a solid roller in it. But man does it pull, ive only had the boost set to 16psi so far and it will blow the tires off at 40mph.

I adjusted the preload to .025, then to .050 no change in the noise.

I guess it does sound kinda cool though.

Hey Bob
Yes
I work at Vogtle
Knew your Dad. Good Man. Worked Hard and well respected. Always had Buick conversation with him.
Thanks
Tim

Thanks Tim...he spoke highly of you too...what lifters do you have Tim? i set my 885's at 0 lash and i think the 853's need to be 30 thousands preload...adjustable rockers make it much easier...T&D's are the best in my opinion. hth Bob

I am running the stock rocker set up and the 853 CC lifters. One thing I noticed putting the engine together was variable diminsions when using the adj. push rod to set the pre-load. Heads are P/P and SS valves with Beehive springs. Heads were set up by K/P Machine in Augusta. Spring Pressure is 145. Ihave never heard a GN with the roller in it so it is hard to say. It does sound like you can hear each lifter.

its just that little bar that connects the lifters together that makes all the fuss.

i have heard that and it makes sense. Tim, K&P has done a lot of work for me and everything that K&P has done has been right. i think the noise is just what you are going to have with a roller cam. Every car i have heard with a roller has that sewing machine sound. the beehives really wake up the upper rpm range. i have pulled mine past 6k and it keeps pulling. At least you don't have to worry about wiping lobes.................Bob

True about wiping lobes, K&P was my first choice for balancing my engine, but CME has done 6 engines for me, and i like that they stand behind there warrenty.