Most reliable roller cam setup.

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
On my next engine, I'll be running home ported stock heads on a stock stroke, ext balance 109 with forged guts. Using 6" rods aiming for solid 9:1 CR. I don't plan on running it past 6000 rpm. Few questions:

1) Will HD rocker shafts with stock rockers be good to that rpm, and

2) What would you run for a roller cam and with what springs for the most reliable valvetrain,

3) Will the 6" rods adversely affect piston design ie: will it put the pin up too far in the piston even with a 9:1 goal?

I will sacrifice hp for longevity as I drive the car a lot. My thinking is the stock rockers are easy to setup with an aftermarket cam as far as pushrod length, and I'd prefer not to machine the heads for roller rockers. I plan on running a 6766JB, single nozzle alky, home ported stock lower intake with stock TB; just a simple 109 build that hopefully will last 100k miles as my stock shortblock should under my current right foot habits.

Let's hear it! Thanks.

BTW, running T/A valves, 1.77in/1.5? exhaust. Working on heads and lower intake now. Hoping to get shortblock done this year yet. Car needs fillers, upper a-arms, and body bushings this spring too. Getting bumpers powder coated while they are off.

I would go 6.35" rod (not that important), 9.5:1. The billet rollers are the best, but the ductile have proven themselves. I would use a short travel hydraulic lifter and an aggressive ramp cam. This will require a strong spring and roller rockers. I am in the process of helping a friend do a 249" 9.5:1 109 with a 6765 turbo. We are shooting for easy 9's. I would like to use the 214 roller from FTS. Looks like a nice 9 sec cam, or a 218/212 billet from Weber.

I would go 6.35" rod (not that important), 9.5:1. The billet rollers are the best, but the ductile have proven themselves. I would use a short travel hydraulic lifter and an aggressive ramp cam. This will require a strong spring and roller rockers. I am in the process of helping a friend do a 249" 9.5:1 109 with a 6765 turbo. We are shooting for easy 9's. I would like to use the 214 roller from FTS. Looks like a nice 9 sec cam, or a 218/212 billet from Weber.

I'm a LOT more conservative. I know I'm using 9sec parts and I am doing billet center mains too, but 10.50's at 130mph or less are fine by me.

Thats what you say now. I told myself back in 2007 all i wanted to do was pull the tires and go high 10's. Now that is my goal for my Coupe Deville.

Can you do a roller with stock rockers or are even the mild ones requiring too much spring for stock rockers?

I'm running a 215/220 roller with 9:1 and 1.77 intakes. .058 quench and no hitting here. I've also got stock shafts and rockers on there with some 'earlbrown rocker shafts supports'. They're holding up just fine.

I'm running a 215/220 roller with 9:1 and 1.77 intakes. .058 quench and no hitting here. I've also got stock shafts and rockers on there with some 'earlbrown rocker shafts supports'. They're holding up just fine.

Nice! That's what I'm looking to hear.

The issue is aggressive ramps need strong springs, strong springs need short travel or solid lifters, short travel or solid lifters need adjustable rockers to set preload. It all depends on how aggressive the cam is. The HD rocker shafts and supports can handle the spring pressure. The long travel lifters can't. It depends how aggressive you want to get. I always go overboard on everything. Heck, I drove this car to High School on 110 and drag radials (25 miles each way to vocational school). It costs me over $120 a week not counting 2 sets of tires a season. I had the fastest car in the parking lot, and we raced down the road from school, we met up 1 hr before school started.

Biggest issue with stock rockers is IF you have bronze valve guides the scrub design of the rocker combined with higher spring pressures will wear the guides. With stock guides you should be ok though personally I'd still run roller rockers.

Joe

210/210 (biggest I'd go) Roller cam and PAC 1201 revs well to 5800 rpm in my Turbo TA..
PAC 1201 - is the spring I would go with. http://www.weberpowerproducts.com/3-8l-turbo-buick-v6-valve-springs-p/pac-1201-12.htm

Make sure you concentrate on the short side radius when doing your heads yourself. Good luck.

Joe

For your goals I would not recommend anything more than this sized cam either.
Guys have gone faster than you want with much less and you're not looking for rpm.

Focus more on the torque converter rather than anything else.

Good recommendations with the 210/210 grind and the PAC 1201's.

I like the ductile cast cams over the billet units, just because the cast core cams have a stock style oiling provision for the cam gear.

I run a 212/206 ductile with the PAC 1201 stock shafts and braces I did break one shaft but I had an extra set of low mileage heads swapped it out. No problem since I spin mine to 5800 pulls good any more than that it noses over.

Yeah I had saddles on stock shafts I think the problem was me when I installed the rocker shafts it broke at the end right where the hole is drilled in the shaft.

Looking at the hd shafts I think they would be hard to break. My buddy just got a set what fun it is installing the nylon buttons!