Bad lifter(s) or oil problem?

I too would love to hear an update on this...I have a 4.1 with the same lifter issue and will be jerking out the trans this weekend to install this "fix" so I would be interested to know how it has worked for you long term.

It's working fine with the external oil crossover. No leaks or issues so far.. and all the lifters/rockers are happy!

That's awesome, thanks for finishing out the thread and updating it 7 years later too! all too often people don't post when they find the solution to their problem. This helps me a lot becuase I have had the exact same problem with my modded 4.1 and I would have been chasing it forever! I will do the oil mod this weekend and post my results to this thread as well which should confirm this once and for all! Thanks again!

I used 90 deg 1/4npt to 3/8" compression fittings if memory serves me correctly. I did this almost 8 years ago. I used 3/8" steel brake line. You probably don't have to go that big. I'm sure 5/16" steel tubing will be plenty big. I always over design things a little. :)

I got 5/16 line. Im having trouble finding the 1/4 NPT to 5/16 inverted flare fitting. Id also prefer steel fittings than brass but if I cant find any brass will do.

I was concerned about using brass also but that was all I could find. It's been 8 years and no problems yet.

I think I am going to go 3/8 as well. I can find 5/16 fitting adapters online but in my searches from lesser known sources but the 1/4 NPT to 3/8 flare always show up.

Thanks for the help on this

I think I am going to go 3/8 as well. I can find 5/16 fitting adapters online but in my searches from lesser known sources but the 1/4 NPT to 3/8 flare always show up.

I think Fastenal makes a 90 degree 5/16" flare to 1/4 npt. Try part# 440317-131280

If you use the compression fittings you can cut the line to size easier......using the inverted flare fiitings leaves you at the mercy of the pre bought length or the quality of the flares if you choose to cut and re-flare your self.

I used the yor-lok style fittings from mcmaster as I have experience with these at over 1000 psi with good results.
But regular compression fittings will work fine as well if the prep is done correctly.

If you are using hydro lifters 5/16" is more than fine...no need to sweat over the 3/8" fittings.

I am using the 5/16" fittings with solid rollers which pass far more oil than the hydro's will.

Here is the best I could do. It was a pita to bend the line. I have a bender but I couldnt find it so I did it slowly by hand.
2016-05-24_19-58-54_863.jpg

Yes I got a bit over zealous on the RTV sealant. I was hoping to not have leaks on the rear main. :cigar:

Would this galley crossover be a benefit at all for a properly built and running great 109 block? I've used a balance line from the front of the block oil output to a rear lifter galley before with good results on stage and big blocks, but not this crossover. Wondering if it would balance out the volume/pressures in the galley's and help somewhere else...cam, crank, or con rod oiling maybe? I know its not needed to get oil over there...
Just thinking and wondering.
Thanks, Rob

IMO it would be worthwhile as I have seen engines that had noisy lifters/weak oil flow on the driver side bank.

If your set-up is relying on a aftermarket cam with a grooved front cam journal these cut journals will wear into the front cam bearing fairly quickly and the oil starts to leak out past the cam journal instead of maintaining full flow/pressure
to the driver side lifter bank.

Dura bond makes cam bearings that are harder and will hold up better in this situation.

I have taken cams to my local crank grinder to have that front grooved journal welded up solid and re ground
smooth just like the stock T/R cams were done.

It would not do much for the main or rods as these are all fed of the passenger side.

Worked like a charm! Got oil pressure to the drivers side lifters almost immediately. The bonus is there weren't any leaks. Knock on wood!

I dont have to worry about the depth of the fittings in the block do I? Blocking an oil feed elsewhere?

Last edited: