Recessed tip spark plugs???

Bill_Ritter

Plays with Fire
Does anyone know of a spark plug part # for IRON heads that doesnt have the protruded tip like a factory one? Ive tried the CR42's, and NGK's but I'd like to try a different option if its available.

Thanks,
Bill

No, thats the same as the Cr42ts/cr43ts/r42&43ts... they're all protruded tip design. I'm looking for a plug that has the electrode flush with the end of the threads (like the guys with aluminum GN1's run)

Edit: I assumed you meant r43ts... I didn't know there was a just a r43t. I'll check it out.

In the Autolite line it is the 144.

A non-projected tip spark plug is less likely to over heat and cause pre-ignition during high speed & load running.

RemoveBeforeFlight

..........A non-projected tip spark plug is less likely to over heat and cause pre-ignition during high speed & load running. . . . . .
Thought so.
Thanks for the reply. Doubt it will do anything at my power level. :p

2 questions on that plug; does the non-resistor interfer with the radio and does that cold a plug foul up quick? I run UR5s.

No problems at all with the radio and I run 93 and alky @ 24* and 25 psi. Plugs run nice and clean I have the gap @ 35 right now still playing with the gap.

Pronto said:
No, NGK go colder as the number goes up...

Exactly. I've never seen anyone go hotter than a 6 or 7 in a ngk in a Buick. Maybe you have? Most I know are in the 8-9 range. I know my engine liked 9's after reading the plugs.

I just looked it up. A ac 43ts is a 6 heat range. That would be the hottest I think one would go in a Buick above stock boost level.

I used to run recessed plugs on my nitrous cars at higher power levels. It tames detonation better than a protruded plug. I have always run ngk's and on imported brand plugs the higher the number the colder the plug. Domestic plugs the higher the number the hotter the plug.

Been runing UR5s for years after being recommended by Russ Merritt. Maybe I'll try the colder plugs.

Looks like the ur5 crosses with a 42ts which is a cold plug. The 5 in that doesn't fit the scale that I'm used to that ngk uses. All the plugs I've ever used from them have the part number then a dash then the heat range.