Recessed tip spark plugs???

Thanks for all the options guys, now I just have to figure out which one will work out best for my combo.:cool:

I just tried a non-projected tip non-resistor Autolite on my car yesterday. It worked out well. No RFI problems.

Autolite AR472 (champion aluminum heads). Pretty cold plug.

I just tried a non-projected tip non-resistor Autolite on my car yesterday. It worked out well. No RFI problems.

That is good to know about the RFI. I was concerned more for the ECM then the radio. See if it shows up as spikes on the NB O2 signal, that one is rather high in impedance.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Are there any non-projected tip resistor plugs that fit iron heads?

Kevin B The stock plug for a Buick crosses to a UR4, I use UR5's usually sometimes the delco or autolite equivalent.

I've never experimented with different plugs.

That is good to know about the RFI. I was concerned more for the ECM then the radio. See if it shows up as spikes on the NB O2 signal, that one is rather high in impedance.

RemoveBeforeFlight
ECM data including auxilliary channels looks fine.

Found some useful heat range / part number / cross reference data charts over on sparkplugs.com in the tech area.

Kevin B The stock plug for a Buick crosses to a UR4, I use UR5's usually sometimes the delco or autolite equivalent.

that makes sense since the ur5 looks like it crossed with a 42. Is the stock a 44? I forget.

Good to know. I was wondering if I should change with my new 9:1 motor but I don't plan on going much faster than you on pump/alky. I really like my UR5's. I guess I would maybe try UR6's if I had problems, but the UR5s have worked well at my current power level.

AR474 is not as cold, and is available from Summit. AR472 is as cold as it gets for a GN1 head.

Turbo cars like non-projective tip plugs. I used UR5's for years. They worked fine. Went to a Autolite Racing Plug and they read so much better. This is just my personal opinion but it is also the opinion of Nick Micale and many other engine builders.

What is the part number for the Autolites you run?

What is the part number for the Autolites you run?

Your question is fine if you just want to know what plug someone is running, BUT if you want to know what is recommended for your build and use, a lot of additional information is needed. :)

Since I have gone through 1000's of plugs personally, and in customer cars, I do have preferences based upon results we have found for street, strip and in-between.

My first comment is that I gave up on AC Delco spark plugs years ago when we found many of them were defective and would cause many weird issues?

Our plug brand of choice is now Autolite for 2 main reasons, they have excellent quality control in their entire product line, and we are extremely familiar with how they perform in all the application that we have used from street use to 7 sec. track cars. Also, availability is easy and affordable, as companies like Summit carry a full line of Autolite plugs.

To determine a spark plug "starting point", it is very important to know on how the car is being driven/used, type of head alum or iron, and other factors in the build like fuel, pump or race gas, alky injection, E-85, HP level, RPM range and data on the hardware in the build.

Even if you know all the given info on a particular build, it is still necessary to know at least the basics of reading your own plugs to determine if they are the optimum heat range for you. Lots of info on-line how to do this.

It is always best to start with a colder plug to prevent any possible engine damage when experimenting when performance and HP has been increased. If it would cost you a set on plugs vs. a head gasket you can see why this is a good method to start cold, then move up to a hotter plug if needed.

With alky injection, E-85 and race gas, you must be very careful in plug selection as the increased HP/cylinder pressure can easily and quickly cause a hot spot which is almost always the spark plug tip? This is also the reason NOT to use a projected tip plug with these applications.

As far a "designer" and speciality plugs, leave them to the people with the feeling that more expensive is better, at least for their ego, not so much for their turbo Buick! :D

Nick Micale said:
Your question is fine if you just want to know what plug someone is running, BUT if you want to know what is recommended for your build and use, a lot of additional information is needed. :)

Since I have gone through 1000's of plugs personally, and in customer cars, I do have preferences based upon results we have found for street, strip and in-between.

My first comment is that I gave up on AC Delco spark plugs years ago when we found many of them were defective and would cause many weird issues?

Our plug brand of choice is now Autolite for 2 main reasons, they have excellent quality control in their entire product line, and we are extremely familiar with how they perform in all the application that we have used from street use to 7 sec. track cars. Also, availability is easy and affordable, as companies like Summit carry a full line of Autolite plugs.

To determine a spark plug "starting point", it is very important to know on how the car is being driven/used, type of head alum or iron, and other factors in the build like fuel, pump or race gas, alky injection, E-85, HP level, RPM range and data on the hardware in the build.

Even if you know all the given info on a particular build, it is still necessary to know how at least the basics of reading your own plugs to determine if they are the optimum heat range for you. Lots of info on-line how to do this.

It is always best to start with a colder plug to prevent any possible engine damage when experimenting when performance and HP has been increased. If it would cost you a set on plugs vs. a head gasket you can see why this is a good method to start cold, then move up to a hotter plug if needed.

With alky injection, E-85 and race gas, you must be very careful in plug selection as the increased HP/cylinder pressure can easily and quickly cause a hot spot which is almost always the spark plug tip? This is also the reason NOT to use a projected tip plug with these applications.

As far a "designer" and speciality plugs, leave them to the people with the feeling that more expensive is better, at least for their ego, not so much for their turbo Buick! :D

Nick,

I running AR134 and may try AR133 on my iron heads. I may try ordering a set two-three steps colder and try.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Check your local Advance Auto Parts store for autolite racing plugs,my local store has a lot of them in stock. It only takes a minute to call and see.

It one point I had a website that had great pictures. I'll have to see if I still got it. They recommended a lighted magnifying glass to help read them. Probably a good idea since my eyes aren't what they used to be.:(