Recessed tip spark plugs???

I'm running AR133 gapped to a tight. 28 with no troubles, thanks Nick! Found them on the shelf at o'reillys.

After doing some googling it seems that there are a few sources of pictures that are used on many different websites. Seems one set of pictures are from NGK from the 70s. Another thing that is common is the way to read the new plugs, on a dyno or dragstrip like referenced in the Wallace racing link.

Nick Micale said:
Your question is fine if you just want to know what plug someone is running, BUT if you want to know what is recommended for your build and use, a lot of additional information is needed. :)

Since I have gone through 1000's of plugs personally, and in customer cars, I do have preferences based upon results we have found for street, strip and in-between.

My first comment is that I gave up on AC Delco spark plugs years ago when we found many of them were defective and would cause many weird issues?

Our plug brand of choice is now Autolite for 2 main reasons, they have excellent quality control in their entire product line, and we are extremely familiar with how they perform in all the application that we have used from street use to 7 sec. track cars. Also, availability is easy and affordable, as companies like Summit carry a full line of Autolite plugs.

To determine a spark plug "starting point", it is very important to know on how the car is being driven/used, type of head alum or iron, and other factors in the build like fuel, pump or race gas, alky injection, E-85, HP level, RPM range and data on the hardware in the build.

Even if you know all the given info on a particular build, it is still necessary to know at least the basics of reading your own plugs to determine if they are the optimum heat range for you. Lots of info on-line how to do this.

It is always best to start with a colder plug to prevent any possible engine damage when experimenting when performance and HP has been increased. If it would cost you a set on plugs vs. a head gasket you can see why this is a good method to start cold, then move up to a hotter plug if needed.

With alky injection, E-85 and race gas, you must be very careful in plug selection as the increased HP/cylinder pressure can easily and quickly cause a hot spot which is almost always the spark plug tip? This is also the reason NOT to use a projected tip plug with these applications.

As far a "designer" and speciality plugs, leave them to the people with the feeling that more expensive is better, at least for their ego, not so much for their turbo Buick! :D

Thanks for the write up. Very useful information. Do you have a general rwhp level that a race plug or non protruded tip should be used? I'll switch plugs between street driving and racing if need be but I'm going for the ultimate true street car and want to be able to run it straight off the street. Is there a race plug that'll still work well with lean cruise and not foul in 10k miles? If not, is there a protruded plug you do like and what power level would you consider safe with that plug, rwhp? Thanks in advance. I'm running a stock block now with mild cam and te44 @ 28psi. ur5's have served me well with this combo. New motor will be stock stroke, 9:1, with ported irons, and 210/215 roller. Shooting for 500rwhp on 20psi with 6266 using 91/alky.

Thanks in advance.

On my Buicks my combos have always been mild and always have run NGK UR5's with zero issues. Now that ive been running 25-26 psi i think i will try to be on the safe side and run recessed tipped plugs. On my nitrous cars i ALWAYS ran a recessed tipped plug after i learned the hard way after having a projected tip plug turn into a glow plug during a race and melting the cylinder. I did some looking around and reading and i came up a recessed tip plug that i think would be good with in mild buick...NGK 4323 (BR6FS). I plan on putting these in this week doing a couple of WOT passes and inspect
photo-10.JPG

I know UR5's are used in alot of Turbo Buicks. They work ok. Getdowngranny I bet you don't go back to UR5's.:D

Is the Autolite AR-23 recessed? If not, what recessed Autolite plug is the equivalent? Thanks.

Is the Autolite AR-23 recessed? If not, what recessed Autolite plug is the equivalent? Thanks.

The Autolite 144 is equivalent to the NGK 4323 (BR6FS). That is a resistor non-projected tip plug for iron Buick heads.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Sorry fella's, i meant to post are the recessed tip plugs good for a daily driver low 12sec car?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

TurboNasty are u saying that a recessed tip plug is too hi- perf for my current e.t? Currently using delco r43ts w/ 40gap. im not up on whats best plug wise, the prev owner was using these & they work well so i stayed with em', any other opinions?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Learn how to read plugs. Everyone is trying to copy what everyone else is using, but the magnitude of factors are too great. Sure theres a range to get you in the ballpark, but thats only part of the equation.

I don't believe there is any down side to running recessed plugs.

The combustion gases are pushed into the plug itself before ignition.

The benefits seem to outweigh the minimal gain if any of a conventional plug.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app