Recessed tip spark plugs???

I don't believe there is any down side to running recessed plugs.

The combustion gases are pushed into the plug itself before ignition.

The benefits seem to outweigh the minimal gain if any of a conventional plug.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I think recessed need to be changed more often. I change my plugs every year no matter what. Are recessed good for 10k miles and 30+ passes without changing?

I would think mph and weight would be more determinate of when recessed plugs are needed. What ET/mph in a full weight car would you say they are needed?......

If any mods are done for engine performance, we do not want to use a projected tip plug.

We have seen many cars run with extended plugs and not have issues, but we have also seen expensive damage with them in some cases.

A recent mishap with extended tip plugs split a 109 block when the owner chose to use them instead of the plugs we installed. :(

It is prudent to spend the few extra $$ for the proper spark plug for the given application, rather than take an expensive chance based upon someones opinion unless it is backed by practical experience that fits the same application and use. :eek:

How do your plugs look after a year?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Great! I just change them anyway to be sure. Same way with fuel filters, oil, alky pumps, gas pumps, etc. I change everything on a schedule weather it "needs" it or not.

If any mods are done for engine performance, we do not want to use a projected tip plug.

We have seen many cars run with extended plugs and not have issues, but we have also seen expensive damage with them in some cases.

A recent mishap with extended tip plugs split a 109 block when the owner chose to use them instead of the plugs we installed. :(

It is prudent to spend the few extra $$ for the proper spark plug for the given application, rather than take an expensive chance based upon someones opinion unless it is backed by practical experience that fits the same application and use. :eek:
well nick my engine is stock except for some port work to the stock iron heads & matched to intake, a valve job & fresh 980 comp springs.. the only other engine mod is a double roller timing set-up.. precision cce-44 turbo & 3" dp with external 46mm gate. Headers are stock but in great shape! im basically looking for advice on the best plug to run to help make the most potential power.. Its a daily driver or can be but mostly only weekends & some track passes like once a year..

The way I see it is, if you choose the correct plug with the correct heat range, there is no downside to using a recessed tip plug.

The way I see it is, if you choose the correct plug with the correct heat range, there is no downside to using a recessed tip plug.

So will the correct heat range on a recessed plug go 10k miles before needing to be replaced?

No one seems to know...

I know my UR5's do and they're good for 120mph...Many would say I should switch now...

from what i gather a recessed plug is like running 1 step colder in a projected tip straight off the bat just from it not being out in the heat so much.im still on projected tips stock ngk bpr6efs-15 running 11.1 at 120mph on 15psi but im about to goto a non projected tip for safety sake before winding up the boost some more

Great! I just change them anyway to be sure. Same way with fuel filters, oil, alky pumps, gas pumps, etc. I change everything on a schedule weather it "needs" it or not

Then leave it alone, but if you decide to turn it up then you might want to consider switching to a recessed tip for a little more headroom.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I run YR5s same plug as the UR5 just a non projected tip.

I just swapped to YR5's from the UR5's a few minutes ago. I will see how it all works this weekend when I get a chance to lean on it a little.

I didn't really notice a performance difference it's more to reduce the chance of detonation or preigniton than anything else.

Autolite non extended tip plugs for GN1 heads are

AR 3932 coldest
AR 3933
AR 3934
AR 3935 hottest

My father use to be a outboard motor mechanic back in the 70-80's. If I remember correctly, Champion made a plug, for a Johnson, that had no tip at all. I've always wondered how it would work in a turbo buick being as we have to close our gaps in order to keep the flame from blowing out. Also along with not having a electrode poking out in the combustion chamber thus creating a hot spot. The outboards would use them because of poor ignition system and trying to light off the fuel mixture with the 2 stroke oil. Look at the very bottom of the link, it's called surface discharge or surface gap. http://www.ngk.com/glossary/8/spark-plug/S

at what boost level would yall suggest the need for a recessed tip plug? & is a delco 42 better than a delco r43ts for street? Is it a step colder & would it perform better overall? @.32 gap

I would go ahead and use recessed tips if you do a lot of boosting. If your just a sunday driver then not a problem. But the recessed helps reduce the chance of predetonation.

i ran the r42ts ( not the cr ) , 93 and alky ..
put them in before starting the day racing and pulled them out at end of day and they were fine
oh and it was below 70 degrees that day too and i wouldnt call what i was pushing your average sunday driving
29psi at a very high hp level with 63 inlet temps (was mid 50s air temp)

ive recently seen the recess tip plugs fail (autolite racing AR-133 for iron heads ) , in theory they should be better but the ground strap still melted (not mine)

for normal extended street driving the r42ts is a little cold to keep it self clean , better to run the r43ts up to around 25psi