Random Questions

Hello guys, i've havent been on in awhile, Im in the works of getting my 83 T on the road and i've ran into a snag....I broke off the plastic "nipple" on my MAP sensor, so i ordered a new sensor and got it in the mail, went to plug it in and the connector wont go in...So after taking a break from working on the car i came back out and sat in the passenger seat and was wiring under the dash and i noticed a random sensor that looks just like my MAP sensor....It was wired up but there was no vacuum line running to it. So here's my questions...1. Do these sensors look like MAP Sensors 2. If there are not What are they? Ill post some pics to maybe help identification...Thanks guys

This is the new one....
02131740a.jpg

This is the one i broke...
02131740.jpg

This is the one i found under the dash...
02131739.jpg

You've got 2 sensors that are alike. One is the MAP sensor and the other is the Baro sensor. They do different things though. One checks the atmospheric pressure and the other checks vacuum in the engine.

Ok that makes sense, now is the sensor with the "orange" connector the MAP then? And the "Blue" Connector the baro sensor? Thanks

That seal is actually part of the plug and shouldn't be in the part. If one was on the passenger side fender then it should be the one that's broken. Where was he broken one located?

I relocated the "orange" connector what i thought was the map sensor on to the firewall, later i tried to pull the vac line off the nipple to replace it and i snapped it off....The sensor with the "blue" connector was the sensor i found in the car jammed up under the dash

The MAP sensor should be located on the right inner fender well about where the hood hinge is. Do you have a limited car? If you've got automatic climit control that may be why you had one under that dash.

Is there any links to a good carb rebuild kit? Also what is a ballpark figure shops charge to rebuild 83' t-type carbs? I want this done soon and with not actually having rebuild a carb before i think i'll let a more experienced person do it...Any suggestions guy?

Is there any links to a good carb rebuild kit? Also what is a ballpark figure shops charge to rebuild 83' t-type carbs? I want this done soon and with not actually having rebuild a carb before i think i'll let a more experienced person do it...Any suggestions guy?

I believe AZ sells a rebuild kits for our carbs. I To be honest didnt know that shops rebuild carbs. There are a coupe of non CCC 4bbl carbs out here for sale that I could look at if anyones interested.

Depends on whether you take the car to them or just the carb. If it's jus the carb about 2 hours labor time but if it's the whole car and they actually know how to work on it then about 3 hours labor. I'm sending you a PM and maybe I can help you with it.:smile:

Neat kit Matt but I think that's for a marine application, not for a street vehicle. Looks like an old Gale Banks unit or maye a Rayjay.

I got a question (WARNING, not buick related) on the merc, I just got it tuned up, but for awhile whenever you turn on or turn off the car, it makes a audible pop, rattle, or clicking sound. I checked the timing, and it was fine. The exhaust is solid, and its progressivley getting worse and worse. Its really loud and hard on a cold morning. It makes a loud "pop, pop, pop" sound just as the car turns over. Im a little concerned to say the least because this little blue mercury is our archilles tendon,and when it goes, my family is monumentally screwed.

oh and it makes a clearly audible (rather loud at times) clicking sound when the car is turned off. I think something could be stuck to the flywheel (was my best guess).

could it be exhaust related poping stopped up cat exhaust cooling quickly ticking sound. kill all the noise you can work late in day when traffic slows stand at back of car when you turn it off doing it several times
listen for noise move up car to locate sound might get you closer to area that has problem clicking could be simi stuck starter bendix may or may not help but worth a try:(

could it be exhaust related poping stopped up cat exhaust cooling quickly ticking sound. kill all the noise you can work late in day when traffic slows stand at back of car when you turn it off doing it several times
listen for noise move up car to locate sound might get you closer to area that has problem clicking could be simi stuck starter bendix may or may not help but worth a try:(

yeah I also though it could be the cat too, but I figured since it wasnt sputtering or dying out on me, it was fine. Ill definitely do that tonite

a simi clogged cat can heat up really hot cat have been know to start forest fires they can get so hot and then cool rapidly its not mechanical if motor is off nothing is moving so it enviromental I would think starter could be sticking partial engaged but not likly let us know what you find . I saw you had TTops do you have any real good pic of ttop frame work get ready to start putting my all back togather and it's been awhile since I worked on that stuff

Get some t tops off an 87-88 G body then. They have the locks on them already.

BTW, watching someone get shot isn't cool at all kid. Find the low rider you used to have. That was kinda cool. The shooting thing isn't.