Questions selling a car with an OUT OF STATE title ---

alwayscode390

I have someone meeting me tomorrow morning to look at my 1967 RS Camaro that I have for sale.

I have the title, in my name ... BUT the title is an Arizona title from 2000. I have lived in Missouri since 2000 ... but the car has NEVER seen the roads and hasnt been registered in Missouri.

The guy buying the car is from Illinois.

Ive been paying Personal Property Taxes on the Camaro every year to the state of Missouri.

Are there any issues with me having the title like this, or is it just a typical "sign-over" situation?

Just making sure before I waste my time meeting up with this person if I have to get some paperwork cleared up.

Shouldnt be any different than if I had the car stored in AZ and sold it to someone on Ebay , right?

what the hell is a "personal property tax"?

i'd say you just sign it over... if the buyer has any problems they will get back to you.

State laws vary state to state.....to protect yourself, after you get your money in cash, be sure you fill in his name and address as the buyer where it needs to appear and make a copy of it....

reason is if you do not fil in the buyer and he is in an accident at some point int he eyes of the law the car is stil titled to you....if that title requires a notary seal you need to do it in front of a notary...again every sate is different so I am going by what I know having bought and sold over 300 of these cars from various states....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

even if he is trailering the car home be sure his name and address is on as buyer.....

what the hell is a "personal property tax"?

i'd say you just sign it over... if the buyer has any problems they will get back to you.

It's a tax the charge you to just own what you already have. Here in CT say you buy a new car and it costs you a little less than 7% of the value of the car . Then 6 months later the car you already own you get to pay tax again on it but maybe the value went down a little so the charge you a little less and so on forever until you either die or move to a state without that tax

I am from Missouri...You can not sell this car...you technically do not own it. Go to the DMV, title the car in your name...you WILL be fined for not titling the car in your name within 30 days. There is a maximum fine so it shouldnt cost you much, a few hundred dollars. Technically the previous owner that sold it to you still owns the car due to you not having the title transferred to your name. Good luck.

Bryan

I am from Missouri...You can not sell this car...you technically do not own it. Go to the DMV, title the car in your name...you WILL be fined for not titling the car in your name within 30 days. There is a maximum fine so it shouldnt cost you much, a few hundred dollars. Technically the previous owner that sold it to you still owns the car due to you not having the title transferred to your name. Good luck.

Bryan

you must have missed the part where he says the title is in his name, but the title is from the state where he used to live.

I have someone meeting me tomorrow morning to look at my 1967 RS Camaro that I have for sale.

I have the title, in my name ... BUT the title is an Arizona title from 2000.

........... is it just a typical "sign-over" situation?

Shouldnt be any different than if I had the car stored in AZ and sold it to someone on Ebay , right? THANKS :) ---

You are correct on all counts! :)

When it is sold, you can go on-line to Arizona MVD and report the sale so records will remove you from ownership of that vehicle.

you must have missed the part where he says the title is in his name, but the title is from the state where he used to live.
You are correct, I did miss the part stating it was already in his name...damn I am getting old.

Bryan