questions about 65# injectors

Warp6

Mine since '92
streetabilty? I'd like to hear from someone using them. I really don't want to go much larger if I don't have to. I'm running polished GN1's, T63E, 214/214 Billet roller, dual shimmed 304 pumps with 50# injs w/42.5# 7th inj (equivalent to 57# inj's when on boost) I'd like a nice set of injectors that won't be overly fat when just riding around but able to supply enough fuel on boost. Running a translator plus and standard extender chip for now.

I just put 65's in mine. I switched back to a ME-16 so it should rock. I had 83's once and they were to me a little excessive. I had 55's and they were real nice with a ME-16. The 65 lb. Delphis I think will catch on big-time when more people are running them. Should be enough fuel to max out a stock block and with the proper program it should pass emissions.

I have a T63E and I am going to use a set of 75# injectors with a ME.

This is with ported irons, Comp 212/212, 3,500 converter, etc..

Originally posted by Warp6
streetabilty? I'd like to hear from someone using them. I really don't want to go much larger if I don't have to.I'd like a nice set of injectors that won't be overly fat when just riding around but able to supply enough fuel on boost. Running a translator plus and standard extender chip for now.

Warp6, I am running a PTE 64E with 72lbs inj. I'm using Burtal 6's chips. The street chip works fine, once the motor is warmed up. Don't worry about using a large injector, as thery are many fuel management systems to chose from!!

Good Luck

any info on the flow characteristics of the 65's? Nice spray or pissy stream? Who makes 'em?

I've been running 75#'s with a T+ and new ext. chip for a little while on the street, and they are awesome. Better driveability than my 50#'s. I would go that route again, no worries. Talk to Bob Bailey, he has these 75's down.

any info on the flow characteristics of the 65's? Nice spray or pissy stream? Who makes 'em?

ALL,
not some, all injectors piss and dribble as they open and close.

You can take disc, ball, and, pintle, and in a blind taste test not be able to tell them apart.

And on the GNs with SEFI, you're spraying fuel onto a closed intake valve, 90+% of the time. And that's when folks are talking about drivibility problems.

At longer PWs all the injectors I've seen look the same other then the shape of the fuel cone.

The problem is that some injectors opening characteristics don't match the GM MAF Tables. So people think there is an injector problem, when it's in fact a poor prom calibration that's the problem.

The ones I have are Delphi's. They are similar to 50's although have a much more exaggerated lean spot just off idle. I did a chip for a guy on this board who said it was pretty darn close. I gotta keep up with him and play just a tad more and I think I'll have em perfect.

I cant test on my car anymore as I dont use an ECM any longer :(

Originally posted by TurboJim
The ones I have are Delphi's. They are similar to 50's although have a much more exaggerated lean spot just off idle. I did a chip for a guy on this board who said it was pretty darn close.

No injector has a lean spot.
Like I said, they have different characteristics, and to do the proper calibration for one, means redoing the MAF Tables.

The only correct way to match an injector to an MAF system is to go thru and map out the MAF Tables and scalars.

FWIW, I have 6 injectors of one size, and a 7th that's a different size, and tuning the MAF tables and scalars has the engine running just fine.

I also run a 7th. Everyone yells how old school it is, but it works. My 50's do a nice job driving around but they need a little help on the big end.

post chaser! Taking after your mom down at the docks of Port Horney I see. Get a life and quit replying to every post I make :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bruce
No injector has a lean spot.
Like I said, they have different characteristics, and to do the proper calibration for one, means redoing the MAF Tables.

The only correct way to match an injector to an MAF system is to go thru and map out the MAF Tables and scalars.

FWIW, I have 6 injectors of one size, and a 7th that's a different size, and tuning the MAF tables and scalars has the engine running just fine.

Ok, ok, ok, now wait, I dont USE a MAF, and I had to add a LOT of fuel just off idle in my FAST. I got privvy info from a certain vendor whom I was tight with and MSD/Delphi 50's are proportionately LEANER than stock at 6 and 7mS, so while you can make up for this in your MAF table (which is incidentally exactly what I do) there isnt any denying if an injector flows X fuel at 4 and 5 mS and not incremetally MORE at 6 and 7mS for example, then that is very much a lean spot. I think this is the reason Lance doesnt like Rochester injectors (which were the original Delphi's). His reasoning if I remember right, was harmonic ringing in the magnet assy made it an unreliable, or maybe unpredictable injector. And is why he and FAST sell Bosch injectors. He says theyre the best.

Furthermore, if you've never witnessed the Delphi cold stall/rolling idle then maybe you've been lucky. My fix was different than yours for one reason...I like taking few steps to reach a goal, not a million steps to reach the same goal, driveability. I think I had my car running as good as it would get. I dont need open loop. My car idled fine, transitioned fine, yes, had a SLIGHT gag on 1 out of 20 pedal snaps to 1/2 throttle which I could have fixed in the TPS delta, but it didnt do it consistantly enough for me to care. Call me dumb, lazy, whatever, thats fine. Its easier to back yourself out of a problem in 2 steps, than 100.

So if you want to say you haveta tune your MAF table, thats fine, but in a perfect world, a 1,2,3,4,5mS an injector should flow A,B,C,D,and E# of fuel not A,B,B,B,D,D# worth of fuel. That is very MUCH an injector thats has a different characteristic. Hell, if injectors didnt act differently, we wouldnt NEED to fool with MAF tables and scalers now would we? One MAF table would fit all wouldnt it? It would seem, by modding MAF tables to achieve a certain driveability, would mean youre pulsing that injector say 7.5mS vs 7mS that another injector might need at the same RPM range (Or even maybe 5mS in the case of 009's). You call it characteristic, I call it lean. If you had to add fuel to richen up a RPM/Load range, to ME it was LEAN. If I gotta pull fuel, to ME its RICH.

I'll fire up my laptop tomorrow and capture my VE table screen and show you I had to make a MAJOR jump in the values to overcome a lean sag just off idle which I DIDNT have with the 50's. If the injectors ARENT different, then what caused this when NOTHING else changed in my car?

THE GREAT OZ HAS SPOKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(IT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT TOO):D

Originally posted by TurboJim
I like taking few steps to reach a goal, not a million steps to reach the same goal, driveability.

Pretty much says it all right there.
And with that you immediately get at best close, as opposed to correct. There ain't no short cuts to getting a calibration correct.

ALL INJECTORS,
note the word ALL.
Vary some due to their design.
What an injector does, is what an injector does.

Read thru a bunch of injector flow charts and you'll see that they all vary some, and there is no TOTALLY linear injector.

Remember the PW correction for voltage?.
That's basically just for the differences in pintle weights in different Rockchester injectors.

VE table or MAF Tables, all boil down to the same thing, and what you say about having to redo the VE table in Aftermarket ecm is just proof of my point.

I also run a 7th. Everyone yells how old school it is, but it works. My 50's do a nice job driving around but they need a little help on the big end.

My point was running two different sized injectors, FULL TIME.