Pump Gas Race agaist 2005 GTO

TClassic

OK, guy I work with has a 2005 GTO Auto, totally Stock with Nitto's and he Bet me he'd Beat me on a Pump Gas Race...we'll be Lining up Saturday Morning at Maple Grove..

now the ET in my Sig was with VP C12 (~111 Octane)..20-21lbs Boost, and 26 degrees timing..now I'll be running STRAIGHT 94, only 16-17Lbs boost (checked it Numerous times with T/link and this is the MOST boost I can run on Straight 94 to get Zero Knock) and 26 degree timing (same Chip)...hmmm
I'm thinking I should STILL run at the Worse a 12.90@105mph and a Best of 12.79@107....either way this "should" be interesting!!!

yeah you should have no problem. The 05s had the LS1 and only ran bests of like 13.8 with a really good driver on an M6 stock. Race from a stop if you can, if you have DRs you should hook up pretty good and from the stop and having much more torque you'll beat him low end really bad.

04's have the LS1, 05's like his have the LS2 :)

He should be deep 13's from the factory if he can drive.

On the Nittos, it might be a lot closer than u think.

Just make sure u nail him out of the hole.

later
Jeremy

Quick Emergecy Alky Install time!

Bragging rights at work is at stake, I would look to do the last minute alky install, if possible, and leave that boost up on full kill. U never know what he has goin on. Good luck.

:D
Brer Rabbit said:
Bragging rights at work is at stake, I would look to do the last minute alky install, if possible, and leave that boost up on full kill. U never know what he has goin on. Good luck.
I was thinking Alchy too :D

My buddy has an 04 GTO and has run 13.40s stock. He said he had a GTO get together and some 05s ran 12.90s. My guess is it will be close. If you get a good 60' I think you can win. My guess is he will be coming up on you at the end of the track. Good Luck!!!! :biggrin:

We BOTH agreed to no RACE gas...
nothing was said about Zylene though... :D So it's the old 3 gallons 94 to 1 gallon Zy....for ~99-100 Octane, should let me slide up to ~18 lbs, giving me a NICE edge!!

How does that stuff smell?

Does that stuff smell like race gas? U dont want to be accused of cheating, I would leave the fuel alone.

Run him on straight pump. It will be more satisying if you beat him fair and square. 26 degrees is a lot of timing for 94. As long as you can take him off the line by a decent amount he will not catch you. The best he will go is 12.9s. Probably 13.00 or slower.

05's have the LS2 as said before. My buddy's 05 auto car ran 13.27@104, bone stock other than nittos at GIR last saturday. Think the DA was like -100 or something like that. Will be a good run

Since your buddy has an auto GTO and not an M6, I bet he won't be any better than 13.50 if he has a good launch and sticky tires. If the torque management is not programmed out of his computer it may not even be that fast. I was just at the track last w/e with my buddy, sixgun86 on here, and his brand new just rolled off the lot '06 GTO auto ran a 14.0x every pass.
The air was very good to that day, but thats nothing to sneeze at in a 3900# car.

And yes, stock TTA timing is way too high for todays gas, but if your Tlink is saying no knock, then you're fine but I can't get away with any more than about 21 degrees on pump gas and 16# in my TTA.

Since he wants you to handicap your car and run on pump gas, you should suggest that the next race be on six plug wires...

TClassic said:
Yea, I agree that SEEMS high, but for a TTA that is STOCK Full Throttle Timing! GN are about 23-24 degrees.....

Yes and 93 octane back in 1989 was a LOT better than it is now. Ask one of the chip guys what he thinks about 26 degrees on 93 octane program. 26 degrees is what they put on 116 programs. Most 93 chips done today are 18-20 degrees tops.

Sweet6 said:
Yes and 93 octane back in 1989 was a LOT better than it is now. Ask one of the chip guys what he thinks about 26 degrees on 93 octane program. 26 degrees is what they put on 116 programs. Most 93 chips done today are 18-20 degrees tops.

Agree!!

The Stock GN Timing was 22 deg. :)

26 Deg on 93 or 94 is excessive in my opinion :rolleyes:

Most use 22 or 23 deg. for 100 Oct. or 93-94 w/Alky 20+++psi

If I was in your position and had to run straight 94 pump.... I would use either 20 or 22 deg max. and as much boost as it would handle. You will definetly make more power with the boost than with excessive timing :)

Just my .02

Joe
P.S. -BTW TTA was 26 deg only at 4k+, and less than 20 deg below that.

Thanks for all the Replys guys, I Appreciate it!!
And this guys been reading the Buick boards and the GTO boards as well he realizes now he dosen't have much of a Chance so even though he's still coming down to MG the 'Bet' is off :) Although we'll still square off..

And BTW yes i agree that 26 degree is WAY too much for 94, and testing again last night in the warmer weather 16 PSI is about it..even THAT is still tickling the knock sensor in third gear, like 0.8-1.0 degree for a few frames so realisically I'll HAVE to mix back in the Zylene.....I'm not about to go below 16...I guess I'll have to eventually go for the Alky...

I think you will win anyway. The best that GTO is going is 12.90. Probably 13.1-13.3. Let us know how you do.

TClassic said:
Thanks for all the Replys guys, I Appreciate it!!
And this guys been reading the Buick boards and the GTO boards as well he realizes now he dosen't have much of a Chance so even though he's still coming down to MG the 'Bet' is off :) Although we'll still square off..

And BTW yes i agree that 26 degree is WAY too much for 94, and testing again last night in the warmer weather 16 PSI is about it..even THAT is still tickling the knock sensor in third gear, like 0.8-1.0 degree for a few frames so realisically I'll HAVE to mix back in the Zylene.....I'm not about to go below 16...I guess I'll have to eventually go for the Alky...

Seems to me that if the bet is "OFF", then you can use any gas you want to use....RACE GAS & up the boost! :)

hehe - the LSx and tta debate! please post results!

since i own both engines... i could care less. it's funny watching people argue both sides though. my '98 is not stock where as my '89 is.... so i'd have to vote for my '98 ;)

stock ls1 motors are low 13 cars... a few have even made it into the 12's stock. driver, conditions, factory freaks, whatever...