What next to get me into the 11's on pump gas?

CuzzinOlaf

I recently purchased my 3rd GN with the mods below and I’m wondering what the next logical step(s) would be to take me into the 11’s on pump gas. I don’t plan to race it much but would love to run an 11 second ET on skicky street tires.

I’ve considered a larger turbo, larger injectors, E85 conversion, and an alky kit. I’d rather not do alky or E85 since I haven’t really researched them enough. Any suggestions are welcomed. Obviously I have a budget but think I’d be OK spending $2k from where I am now.

Motor
  • TA49 turbocharger
  • Terry Houston 3" Downpipe with "test" pipe
  • 37lb Injectors
  • Hemco modified 62MM upper Plenum
  • Plugged throttle body coolant lines
  • Walbro 340 In-Tank fuel pump @ about 43lbs static pressure
  • Stock location Intercooler & a half
  • Removed one screen from MAF
  • Relocated Air Filter to under front air dam with 4" duct work ("Tylco Tinman system" )
  • 26 degrees of timing in the Lubrant chip set for full injector pulse width
TransmissionRear End/Suspension
  • Torque Converter Lock-up switch (stock tranny & converter)
  • Passenger Side Rear Spring Airbag

I didn't try in the past and was happy with 12's. I was younger and didn't really have the funds like I do now.

If you can get in the 12's, it's just a little more tuning and a little more boost to hit the 11's. Your turbo and a stock engine can do it. Make sure your electrical system is good, install alky kit, turn up boost, and go!

Alky is a fuel so it makes smaller injectors go further. It would be a good idea considering what you have though.

What are your thoughts about E85 conversions? I have a gas station right near my house that sells E85 for considerably cheaper than 93 octane.

I would be worried about the stock trans. I'm sure it can go 11s but I think you Maybe playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun. I would say drop pan change filter and fluid. If the pan looks clean go for it but if it's dirty I wouldn't. Just enjoy the car save a little more and do a trans in the winter..

The trans is the weak point here. The $2K budget is great for the goal...But any options I give you will break that trans sooner than later. I am Pro E-85 and alky would be my second choice.

Ok, so everyone says the Trans so maybe I'll do that this winter. What exactly should I do?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

It may not be necessary to upgrade injectors but my 42lb injectors were at almost 89% duty cycle when I ran a 12.1 @ 113 with alky. With a more experienced driver I think the car could have been capable of a high 11 sec time that night. Anyway, if you upgrade injectors I think most will agree to buy 60lb injectors and a turbo tweak chip. I've had a low voltage issue that may have contributed to the high dc numbers I had before but now my injectors run around 60% dc at wot so I still have room to grow.
Don't be afraid of alky. If you want an 11 sec street car on a budget, you're gonna need it imo. I was reluctant at first. I said I'd do bolt ons to the point that I would need alky and then stop. So much for that. Now I need to get the nerve to add more boost! Too damn hot in Texas right now to be working on the car for fun.
By the way I still have the original trans. 3200 lockup stall, shift kit, deep pan with 700r4 filter. A good tip for the stock pan is to fill it a quart over. I had an issue with the governor and an issue with the valve body but otherwise it's still original. I'm probably on borrowed time as well but it's a street car.

Do the E85 conversion. So simple once you're done. 105 octane all the time for $2.50/gallon. Don't worry about your trans too much. Get a stacked plate cooler and a 3200 stall lockup converter (a 9/11 is a good one). If the trans goes, worry about it then. Keeping it cool is the prime objective.

I took the car out for my first real drive tonight and still have a grin from ear to ear. I've owned two GNs before this (1992 and 2000 era) and know I found my real joy again. Even how it runs now it is great but more power will be nice and a nice solid trans sounds like where I'm headed next. I'd rather be safe than sorry and think I'll get that set first and then do an alky kit or E85 swap. I'm not building a race car but I'd love a solid low 11 second performer.

I don't know why I'm scared of E85. Can it have any long term negative effects on the car? How about the fuel lines? Will my Walbro 340 be able to handle the E85 without issues?

First Post... get into the 11's
last post...solid low 11's
Two different combos there Sir.
I will tell you now, a good trans and converter will set you back about $3200 for a solid 11 second car. The E-85 conversion...$1000 and its nothing to be afraid of.
I would suggest a turbo upgrade, scanmaster and a wideband.

e85 is good i think as long as you can get it but it does require some time money and new parts.

First Post... get into the 11's
last post...solid low 11's
Two different combos there Sir.
I will tell you now, a good trans and converter will set you back about $3200 for a solid 11 second car. The E-85 conversion...$1000 and its nothing to be afraid of.
I would suggest a turbo upgrade, scanmaster and a wideband.

You're right, I dunno, I just want 11's and the car supposedly did 11.87 on slicks and 110 octane already. I want 11's on pump gas. I'm probably getting ahead of myself and will do more research this winter and figure out a game plan for the spring (and save up money).

well just make sure the car is ready. good trans not an original timing chain and valve springs

E-85 is great....I have not converted over because I only have one station about 15 miles from me that sells it....I do not wanna be strapped to always filling there. However I do typically run E-85 and 93 oct I usually put 4.5 gallons to every tank of 93oct.

This mix allows me to safely run 17 psi which puts my car mid 11's......I have thought about converting to completely E-85 but again its more money I would have to spend and it works very well with just mixing it.

Just my thoughts.

As far as your goals.....do lots of research get some scanning tools and get the car to go as fast as you can get it to go the way it sits.....you may find you may not have to buy more parts.....once you max out your combo then post your results and we can then point you into a direction of the next mod:cool:

I can get you in the 11's right now for your $2000 budget. I have a turbo, injectors and other things. I can put a package deal together for you if you're interested. Let me know.
BTW, the turbo is still on my car and I went 10.87@ 126 with it this past weekend.