PTE's new GT series turbos

boostedmaxPSI

Hard Member
Or should I say Garretts new GT turbo.

Guys fill me in here on the performance of these new turbos. Anyone here have the new GT32/35/37 turbo yet? Any comments good or bad particularly on spool up.

TIA
Frank

I did some GT turbo testing for PTE this summer. The GT-32/52 (i think) made awsum power and spoolup was crazy fast. I was spoolin before i even matted the gas :p If your looking for a bigger than stock turbo but not wanting to go w/ a big turbo, I'd definately recomend one of the GT's that Joe and Harry have.
Good Luck

Thanks for the reply...

I just took off my PTE-51 and I'm looking for somthing that is equal to the power of a PTE51/52 but with the spool up of a TA-49/TE-44.

What is the equivilent of a TE-45 now?

What would you recommend?

Thanks
Frank

I hear the GT32-55 is the ultimate TA49/TE44 killer. From what PTE told me, it made 320 hp to the wheels with 42.5lb injectors, a fuel pump, terry houston downpipe, exhaust, MAF PIPE @ 17 PSI Boost. No other supporting mods on a 44k mile car.

Sounds pretty bad ass for me. I just bought a $2500 tranny. I think i might go with something a touch bigger then the 32-55 but it sounds awesome to me.

Bryan

Originally posted by 1987BuickGrandN
I hear the GT32-55 is the ultimate TA49/TE44 killer. From what PTE told me, it made 320 hp to the wheels with 42.5lb injectors, a fuel pump, terry houston downpipe, exhaust, MAF PIPE @ 17 PSI Boost. No other supporting mods on a 44k mile car.

Sounds pretty bad ass for me. I just bought a $2500 tranny. I think i might go with something a touch bigger then the 32-55 but it sounds awesome to me.

Bryan

Bryan,

Just for clarification, it was 300 rwhp at 4200 rpm @17 psi with 93 octane. The car did have 42.5# Inj. PTE 93 Chip 20Deg. THDP, and a totally Stock Intercooler. The spool up was exceptionally fast, I was impressed with its performance & potential. Not sure what the GN drive line loss is but I'm sure we had at least 360-375hp at the flywheel. I programmed the chip a little rich for safety reasons 820-830mv. Inj. DC approx. 85% Avg.

I would have loved to see what the results would be with 110-116 Octane, PTE Race Chip, 20+++psi, and maybe a good Stretch or FM intercooler.
I may be able to set that test up in the near future.

Joe

Originally posted by boostedmaxPSI
Thanks for the reply...

I just took off my PTE-51 and I'm looking for somthing that is equal to the power of a PTE51/52 but with the spool up of a TA-49/TE-44.

What is the equivilent of a TE-45 now?

What would you recommend?

Thanks
Frank

Frank,

The PT51 & PT52 turbos are rated slightly below & at 600hp respectively.

Your choice of turbo should be one that will support your goals, but not surpass the Fuel Flow/ Injectors that you will run. Also the stall of your converter and other mods you have done are also important.
Give us a little more infomation to go on and I'm sure you will get the feedback you are looking for.

Joe

When will the GT series turbos be available for TRs (with all of the Garrett GT-series features/improvements)?

Still projecting before end of 2003?

TIA!! :)

Originally posted by Two Lane
When will the GT series turbos be available for TRs (with all of the Garrett GT-series features/improvements)?

Still projecting before end of 2003?

TIA!! :)

The GT-series turbos are out and selling like mad.

The GT-wheels that bolt right into the TA/TE/T-series turbos are still on thier way. The person (can never remember names) that I spoke to in the Garrett booth at SEMA told me that they had a batch of wheels that bolted on, but they did not perform up to par, so they are going for another try.

It might be a while. You can buy the GT-series turbos right now no problem. Both Precision Turbo and Limit Engineering are distributors for Garrett.

Originally posted by Taffy

It might be a while.

Thanks for an update, Taffy...bet SEMA was great.

Knew the GT-series from Garrett has been out for a long time, but not in a complete assembly for the TRs as of yet from aftermarket TR turbo sources.

A major component of the several advancements within the GT-series is the BB feature...worth waiting on...so hopefully the earlier posted projections about late-2003 availability will hold true. :)

Thanks for all the replies. Mods are:

307fp
MSD 50's
PTS killer/street trans
9/11 3000 stall
CAS V4
SMC Alky
PTE-51, replaced by my old but awsome TA-48.This turbo spools like crazy.

With mods listed above on several dyno pulls on pump gas she put down 570tq and 433hp at the wheels with 24psi and a JL 20* street chip.

I run a consistant 11.8's on pump gas and drag radials. My heads have never been off the car. My goal is too bolt on a new GT turbo that flows like a big turbo but has the spoolup characteristics of a small turbo and still run in the 11's with "low" boost levels.

Joe, what turbo fits my goals and combination?

Thanks again
Frank

When will the real & complete Garrett GT-series with all its many advanced improvements be available for Turbo Buicks??

The GT-series turbos have been out for a long time already!!

:confused:

Originally posted by Joe Lubrant
Bryan,

I would have loved to see what the results would be with 110-116 Octane, PTE Race Chip, 20+++psi, and maybe a good Stretch or FM intercooler.
I may be able to set that test up in the near future.

Joe

Joe
you can use my car as a test. I will buy the new turbo if it turns out good. PM me if interested.

Re: GT/TURBO

Originally posted by mcponch
NOW I HERE THAT THE GT/TURBO (DO NOT ) HAVE BALL BEARINGS? MCPONCH.:confused:

Go to the GARRETT website and read about them, or better yet, call GARRETT.

Nothing like direct information straight from the source.

I belive the gt-32 is in the 44 range...so they say.

While doing the dyno testing, things got pretty late and we ran into a few problems along the way, but the end result was me driveing the gt-32 for a while till we went testing again. Ill say it again, spool up was awsum, power was exceptional, unfortunatly, i never made it to the track. Dyno numbers were as Joe said, 300 at the wheels.
We all got our **** back together and back to the dyno we went. We tested a few different combinations that nite, some better than others but this was what was needed. I ended up driveing home the worst spoollin turbo of the bunch, it happend to be the last one we tryd, and i didnt feel like switchin back to my original @ midnite, so i drove it home. BTW, hp on the dyno was around 300 for this one, but sluggish on the spool.
That combo made it to the track. We ran a 11.94 @ 111. Stock heads, stock cam, stock i/c w/ 009's. That was a safe 790's o2, and 24 lbs boost. I feel it has 11.60's or better in it for that combo. I wish i woulda run the gt-32, spool was so awsum, I think it woulda run even better than what i had.The gt-32 is a perfect turbo for those looking for "small" turbo.
BTW Joe, let me know if/when u wanna get back on the dyno. Upgrades now include a PTE F/M, 70mm tb and PTE upper, 57's.

Craig Shellman
87 GN, Original Owner, 44k miles, pt-52, pte f/m, 57's, 3200 single disk, THDP, yada, yada, yada

Craig,
Im abit confused by your post . Did you run the 11.90s with the GT32?