PTE's new GT series turbos

Sorry for the cornfusion. I ran 11.90's w/ a turbo similar too but not the same as the 32. The 300 hp either turbo made was @ 17 lbs, the 11.90 was at 24. We kept the boost to a limiting 17 lbs during testing because all we needed was a trend, not max hp numbers.

louie

do you have pics of your GT70? I just ordered one and am impatient, its on the way overnight to me (be here by 10:30 tomorrow) lol Going on my impala ss, single turbo deal....has 1.15 A/R:eek:

Keith,
Mine is a Limited LT70 with a GTQ exhaust wheel. This is not the PTE unit with the billet comp wheel/shrouded housing.

But i have pics of both. They are in my pics album below;)

comparable?

I'm looking at the Garret GT catalog now....

we've pretty much established that a gt32 is equivalent to a 44/49 in terms of power production

Joe or anyone have any comparable insight on the other variants?

gt35, 37, 40, 42 and 60?

Garret gives displacement and hp recommendations.

based on that info alone, looks like the 40 or 42 might be what I'm looking for, 600-700rwhp

i gotta study them compressor maps and do some more math...

Joe, is there a computer program out there that you can enter your engine criteria/performance criteria and it will plot or show comparisions on turbo compressor maps? Kinda like a Desktop Dyno but for comparing turbos?

I get the feeling you're prolly gonna say, "a calculator" lol .. but, just thought i'd ask anyway :)

Slightly off topic, when/if i buy a Garret GT series turbo are all of them the same, in other words what is differenct between them if i were to buy it from Precison, Limit Engineering,Turbonetics, or a regular garret dealer that sells mainly truck stuff?

Any info is greatly appreciated

I just e mailed j. craige at limit about a 45a but in a full GT model. The reply was there are no complete GT for the TR as they are all 4 bolt turbos. Is everyone waiting for the 3 bolt exhaust housings from PTE or are they the only ones who have the housing? the more I here about the GT the more I get comfused. I want a 45a but in a GT model? anyone- anyone????????:confused:

So anyone have dyno comparison numbers?? Anyone test the GTQ 70 against a regualr 70 same car , same day?

just ordered a gt 40 turbo from where i work. they tell me its
perfect. i can't wait to try it. you guys would kill me if i told you
how much i got it for.

Originally posted by MARINES185
just ordered a gt 40 turbo from where i work...you guys would kill me if i told you
how much i got it for.

Not if you can hook some of us up ;)

just ordered a gt 40 turbo from where i work. they tell me its
perfect. i can't wait to try it. you guys would kill me if i told you
how much i got it for.
I bet you work at a diesel shop & ordered one there huh?
Just Message me the info & how we all can get one cheaper..alot of budget people here too..

Originally posted by Superskwrl
Slightly off topic, when/if i buy a Garret GT series turbo are all of them the same, in other words what is differenct between them if i were to buy it from Precison, Limit Engineering,Turbonetics, or a regular garret dealer that sells mainly truck stuff?

Any info is greatly appreciated

:confused: :confused:

hands on gt42 today...

got a chance to physically go over a non-bb gt42 today at MPE. Its quite an impressive unit and not exactly comparable to anything else out there.

The compressor/turbine wheel design is different from anything else. There are also various tweaks that can be done on the inducer side, involving knife ending the inlet edges.

The inducer inlet has channels cut into it that the compressor wheel draws air through from the massive 5" compressor housing inlet.

Right now all true GT turbos are 4-bolt exhaust housing. This 42 has a 4.8" v-band exhaust outlet. The compressor outlet is also v-band style (4.2"). The compressor backplate is cast iron. The center section has a serialized plate on it that has "Garret GT" on it.

The 42 is psuedo equivical to a non-bb T88 in terms of spool, but output is aparently higher. The 42 I looked over has a 82mm compressor wheel.

While I didn't get to check out a GT60, it is a 2200hp capable turbo and is bigger then the T106, and has a 141mm compressor wheel, that's 5.5" :D The retail on it is over $4k

I had my digital camera with me, but didn't take pics.. hey, its just a turbo.. i've seen tons of them ;)

yes, I do work at a diesel shop. If enough people are
interested i'll see what i can do on pricing.

yes, I do work at a diesel shop. If enough people are
interested i'll see what i can do on pricing.

Definitely interested in what turbos you can get and what kind of pricing on them.

Re: hands on gt42 today...

Originally posted by darkfa8
The 42 is psuedo equivical to a non-bb T88 in terms of spool, but output is aparently higher. The 42 I looked over has a 82mm compressor wheel.

While I didn't get to check out a GT60, it is a 2200hp capable turbo and is bigger then the T106, and has a 141mm compressor wheel, that's 5.5" :D The retail on it is over $4k

I had my digital camera with me, but didn't take pics.. hey, its just a turbo.. i've seen tons of them ;)

You're quoting the major diameters and trims of the turbo wheels, not the minors like we're used to talking about. If you're half way decent with math you can figure out the minor diameters from the trims.

Also the GT 42 spools more like a 70 or a 72 than a 88. The 42 is a true 1000 hp turbo.