PTE Stock Location Intercooler

josefigue

Hi Friends;
I need to change my intercooler.I was thinking to buy a PTE Stock Location Intercooler,the dimensions are 13"L x 17.5"H x 3"D,with 3"inlet and outlet,18 flow and 19 cooling rows.I dont want a front mount.I need to know if this stock intercooler is overkilling with my stock car and the modifications on the signature.Especificaly I want to know if they hurt the performance of the car.If not I will be happy with it instead of no gain.Thanks:confused:

I will spool up faster for sure. The stock IC has about a 5 PSI restriction in it. So opening that up will have quicker spool up and lower air temps for sure. Definitely a good upgrade.

I just upgraded to the PTE from an old ATR stretch. I did a bunch of research first and I am very happy with it. Easy to install and complete.

My combo is pretty similar to yours and I'm using the PTE stock location IC. Not overkill at all and it's a good enough piece that you won't need to upgrade to a front mount unless you plan on running deep into the 9's.. No clearance problems on mine still using the stock front sway bar.

Attachments

• pte1.JPG
    pte1.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 516
  • pte2.JPG
    pte2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 503
  • pte3.JPG
    pte3.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 500
PTE Stock Location

Does the PTE stock location intercooler hang down any further than a front mount? Which has more ground clearance?

Does the PTE stock location intercooler hang down any further than a front mount? Which has more ground clearance?

The front mount does not hang down at all. The PTE is almost the exact height from the road as the stock IC scoop. I have no issues with mine. Just dont run over any small animals....:biggrin:

86Brick; Do you have bottom frame braces near the sway bar? Thanks

I do not have the front frame braces on my car that Kirban sells and I have actually heard that one of them (pretty sure it's the passenger side) will not clear the intercooler.

HTH

the PTE stock loaction is one nice piece and you will get a gain for sure.

I had to heat and bend my triangle braces to make them clear, it works:D
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff95/04blackssawd/000_0225.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff95/04blackssawd/000_0230-1.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff95/04blackssawd/000_0232.jpg

I have all the front braces. I just put on a 36mm hollow swaybar and I have to redo the swaybar wind deflectors, thats it.

Awesome IC BTW!!:cool:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff95/04blackssawd/000_0147.jpg

hey stage 5,
can you give more details on the "heat and bend" for the front right triangle brace......also, i had the 36mm hollow bar on the car when i did the PTE stock mount and i remember it touching(maybe rubbing) the intercooler when completely installed so i changed back to the stock one. did you modify the the 36mm hollow bar somehow as well?

hey stage 5,
can you give more details on the "heat and bend" for the front right triangle brace......also, i had the 36mm hollow bar on the car when i did the PTE stock mount and i remember it touching(maybe rubbing) the intercooler when completely installed so i changed back to the stock one. did you modify the the 36mm hollow bar somehow as well?

Well I had to heat and bend both of them.

First go try and mount them and see where they aprox. need to be bent. Then heat them up in the area and get leverage and a solid hitting point where you need to bend them, then give hits with sledge hammer, make repeating steps, after you feel a solid hit go back and mount them and go from there. Dont try and bend them in one process, I made multiple cycles.

As far as the 36mm swaybar, it did hit my IC shroud on the driver side, it rubbed the bottom even with the side swaybar deflectors off......
I got a grinder wheel and grinding away where the bar would like to sit. I still have to mess with the wind deflectors. Mine doesnt hit the IC core though.
HTH
Pics
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff95/04blackssawd/000_0259.jpg

I too have the PTE stock location IC. Performance-wise I'm very happy with it and it fits great. It was easy to install too. The one thing I really don't like about it is the flimsy little screws that hold the shroud on. I do a lot of work on my car and often find it necessary or convenient to remove the IC. The screws are so small that they are hard to work with and they easily strip the soft aluminum IC threaded holes. I've been considering helicoiling small bolts into the IC. I'm concerned though about drilling too deeply into the IC and causing an air leak. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I too have the PTE stock location IC. Performance-wise I'm very happy with it and it fits great. It was easy to install too. The one thing I really don't like about it is the flimsy little screws that hold the shroud on. I do a lot of work on my car and often find it necessary or convenient to remove the IC. The screws are so small that they are hard to work with and they easily strip the soft aluminum IC threaded holes. I've been considering helicoiling small bolts into the IC. I'm concerned though about drilling too deeply into the IC and causing an air leak. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I completely agree, the stupid tiny screws irritate me every time I mess with the intercooler! Performance wise its great.

I noticed on the install pics that the up pipe rubs on the insulator.
I've installed over 6 units, and they all rub on the insulator. Otherwise its a top notch unit.

Wonder if someone out there can rework the lip edge on the pipe if was cut an inch.......

Does the PTE SLIC mount using the factory mounting points? If not how does it attach?

Wonder if someone out there can rework the lip edge on the pipe if was cut an inch.......

I think that if you were to use the t-bolt clamps on the up pipe it wouldn't need the lip. My up pipe from TR custom parts doesn't have any lip and it hasn't blown off. But then again I keep the boost gauge under 20. I'm sure it can be rolled or stretched at a good exhaust shop if it were to be an issue.

I noticed on the install pics that the up pipe rubs on the insulator.
I've installed over 6 units, and they all rub on the insulator. Otherwise its a top notch unit.

I was wondering the same thing. It's been a few years since the last time I installed one, but I figured that maybe PTE had made a slight re-design by now to lower the up-pipe.

K.