Need to replace timing chain... What is the best option?

Chrisssssssss

Hey all,

I need to do a timing chain replacement, what is the best option for the least money? It is a stock 86 and I need to replace it. I have been looking at the options and it seems that there is quite a variety of options with a pretty big price range. I just want the basic replacement. I also noticed that there are a few that require a tensioner, and others don't. I think it would be best to go with a non tensioner unit... right? I live in Canada, and would prefer to have something shipped from Canada, as it saves on shipping, exchange, and customs BS but If it isn't too big a difference, then I will get it shipped from US... no biggie.

I saw this unit which is a Dynagear 73019 3 piece set but apparently it needs a tensioner... I think I read that somewhere but can anyone confirm this? This would be ideal for location and price, but not if it requires tensioner.

or there's this one: a Cloyes C-3018K which could be good I think? I believe no tensioner required right?

Any other budget minded suggestions would be great. If I could keep it under or around the $100 mark that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any input. Much appreciated.

I was lucky enough to find the whole original set when I did mine, I bought it New Old Stock, very hard to find. I think somebody told me before TA Performance sells the whole set for the Buick. Doesnt have the plastic on the teeth like original.

My worthless 2 cents… we can all relate to the budget aspect, most of us have one, but putting a $18 dollar timing chain (or even a $50 chain) will cost you more when it fails than if you just used a good chain, like one with an IWIS chain, from the start. The price difference between a good chain and a cheap chain is maybe $100 bucks? Save up for it if you need to but this is not the area you want to cheap out on.

As much of a PITA job replacing the timing set is, spend the money! Get a good tru roller set! T/A sells a tru roller set in different lengths if the block has been line honed. A stock length is what u need since it's never been built. It does not use a tensioner either.
TIMINATOR

Crap. I was afraid you guys were gonna do this. Ugh. I was really hoping to stay in the $100 mark for the kit... The one in the link by the time I have it in my hands that $169 becomes $350 Canadian after Shipping, taxes, import fees, exchange rate... So how about something that is slightly less? You US'ers have it much easier and cheaper for parts down there. Us Canucks have to pay out the tailpipe to get em up here. Out of the ones on the TA site which is my best compromise? They look to be a bit cheaper but I haven't compared check out to checkout with everything included bottom line yet.

Looking at RockAuto, What about this guy? It's a Cloyes 91134 Street True set. It has a double chain, Billet crank sprocket, and cast Cam sprocket... Would this be an acceptable compromise? I have ordered from RA before and had good experiences with them. this landed to my door would be like $120 CDN give or take. Roughly a third of that other option. Right now it really does make a difference to me so I think this is the most I can afford right now. By the time anything would likely wear out or need replacement on this setup, I will be at the point it will need a complete rebuild hopefully will be in a better financial situation then so it can be upgraded then. This is the way I am leaning... Can I get approval from the peanut gallery? <crosses fingers>

Post #3.
We’ve all been where you are at money wise, so we understand.

However perhaps it’s best for you to save up to get a good quality set-up. This is an important part & not something you skimp out on.

As previously stated, it’s quite an involved job(not hard but there’s a good bit involved). So why risk it? Just wait, save, & get a decent chain.

As you know nothing on these or most hobby cars come cheap. Unfortunately ya have to pay to play.

spun bearings in my original eng because former owner replaced timing chain and didnt replace the oil pick up that was clogged with the broken plastic teeth,good luck,cant tke short cuts wiyh these cars.

Here's my input....

The inexpensive $30 USD stock timing sets with the cast gears are a recipe for disaster. One only needs to view examples on Bison's shop page videos showing how the gears wear and the engine skips time.

link to BisonPerformace on f*book below. access the link on a real computer, not your phone. with a computer and internet browser, you don't need a facebook account to view public pages on facebook. scroll down to April 6, 2021 post - not far to scroll. says it all.

On a bone stock engine, never opened, I would consider TA Performace's -
TA_V1522B,
`60-`87 Even-fire V6 High Performance Silent 9 Key Timing Set $115USD.

Gears are billet, decent chain, and uses a tensioner. This is expecting you are running the engine on pump gas alone, with a modern chip like TurboTweak, on the street at max 16-17 psi boost.

On engines that have been re-built using a forged crank, billet main caps (#'s 2 & 3), forged pistons, etc, then I would go to a Rollmaster as mentioned above.

Try to contact @trick86. Byron is close to you. Many folks have shipping drop boxes or friends near the boarder to ship to rather than international shipping.

someone had the rollmaster set pictured for sale. it sold quickly. pic for reference.

Attachments

• Timing Sets_TAPerformance.jpg
    Timing Sets_TAPerformance.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Rollmaster CS7010 timing set.jpg
    Rollmaster CS7010 timing set.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 28
Crap. I was afraid you guys were gonna do this. Ugh. I was really hoping to stay in the $100 mark for the kit... The one in the link by the time I have it in my hands that $169 becomes $350 Canadian after Shipping, taxes, import fees, exchange rate... So how about something that is slightly less? You US'ers have it much easier and cheaper for parts down there. Us Canucks have to pay out the tailpipe to get em up here. Out of the ones on the TA site which is my best compromise? They look to be a bit cheaper but I haven't compared check out to checkout with everything included bottom line yet.

Looking at RockAuto, What about this guy? It's a Cloyes 91134 Street True set. It has a double chain, Billet crank sprocket, and cast Cam sprocket... Would this be an acceptable compromise? I have ordered from RA before and had good experiences with them. this landed to my door would be like $120 CDN give or take. Roughly a third of that other option. Right now it really does make a difference to me so I think this is the most I can afford right now. By the time anything would likely wear out or need replacement on this setup, I will be at the point it will need a complete rebuild hopefully will be in a better financial situation then so it can be upgraded then. This is the way I am leaning... Can I get approval from the peanut gallery? <crosses fingers>
Chris, where in Canada are you? I get up north of the border for work occasionally and would be willing to help you out and bring a timing chain across with me if the logistics work. I could even bring one in and then ship it to you. Let me know if I can help.

Here’s a link to

Don’t scrimp on this , these engines are too expensive to rebuild.
My suggestion is to save some more & wait till you have the cash & go with the RollMaster Gold timing set.
Yes, there are cheaper options available but you don’t want to be kicking yourself in the ass if / when they fail.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS
Need to post a follow-up to note some folks had messaged me sharing their experiences with the TA silent 9-key timing set TA-V1522B. They had problems with the chain on a stock unopened engine and that chain failure caused engine damage.

So Rollmaster would be the safest bet currently.

If the timing set fails, the pistons & valves may meet.

There is a good amount of disassembly required to change the timing set. It often snowballs into a much larger project than initially thought. Oil pan is usually dropped & cleaned. Oil pick-up inspected & cleaned. Might as well change the rear seal along with the front. Might find the rubber in the motor-mounts is shot. New water pump, belt, etc. Consider contacting Bison for a "kit". He is a busy guy, but doesn't mind helping paying customers with legitimate inquiries.

I know it seems like a lot, but re-read that first sentence.

Allrightallrightallrightalready... lol. I'll get the Double back flip gold plated Rolls Royce master whatever it is timing kit. I was hoping the others would suffice for now just to get it back up and running and last me roughly another year or two before the motor will get taken completely apart and rebuilt. Then I would spend the extra on all the good stuff. But I suppose if this is done now and it isn't completely astronomically pricy and could be used during the rebuild later on again, I'm gonna bite the bullet and go with the good one. I guess it will be Kraft Dinner and Raman noodles for a while. The reason being is that I kinda wanted to do something a bit quicker is I am moving at the end of the month, the motor is already sitting with the oil pan dropped and new main and rod berings are about to go in... so it doesn't need too much further disassembly from where it sits now. I was hoping to have it done before I go to the new place, but it doesn't look that way. gonna need to be transported / towed there. It's just a completely bad time for money because my work has been closed for the last month and a half for renos (I work as a DJ and the club shut down after new years for renos and is opening up next weekend so I will be back to work) and rent and expenses still needed to be payed even though I wasn't working plus with moving and other stuff right now... just is hurting financially. But hopefully within the next couple months or 5 I will be back on my feet and able to recover from the break. Other than that I appreciate the offer @JadeMonkeyStang I live out in BC... Kelowna area... about a 3 hr drive from Vancouver. Not too sure how we could make this work but I will keep that in mind. Not exactly sure when I am gonna order it but may wait a little bit until after I move.

Thanks everyone for the input. I do appreciate it and will get the good one. Your advice makes sense and it would be the same thing I would say to someone as well. I will keep you updated as things progress. I will probably make a video of the procedure to upload to youtube for reference.