PT71 GTQ .85 housing...too much turbo?

Snorman

Boosted.
Combo is a girdled 109, Eagle crank, forged TRW's, 212 Comp roller w/1.65 T&D rollers, ported 8445's (227/184), ported intake, high imp 65's and will upgrade the hotwired intank 340 to an ATR double pumper. Dynotech Hi-pro with a 10" 3200 LU on a 28/11.5 ET Street.
I'm looking for easy mid-10's without pushing crazy boost right now (because I'll certainly want to go faster later!).
Current turbo is a TE63.
Thanks!
S.

I'm putting a 70 on my stock motor/heads/cam. I have a T-brake, and a good Art carr non-lockup. I bet it will get a great 60' and of course pull hard all the way through. Think I'm crazy? We'll see this spring. I am a big fan of putting on BIG turbos. Why not? Better for the turbo to spin a little slower, bad to get a small turbo and beat the he11 out of it.

Originally posted by Snorman
Combo is a girdled 109, Eagle crank, forged TRW's, 212 Comp roller w/1.65 T&D rollers, ported 8445's (227/184), ported intake, high imp 65's and will upgrade the hotwired intank 340 to an ATR double pumper. Dynotech Hi-pro with a 10" 3200 LU on a 28/11.5 ET Street.
I'm looking for easy mid-10's without pushing crazy boost right now (because I'll certainly want to go faster later!).
Current turbo is a TE63.
Thanks!
S.

If all is right you should be able to run 10s without crazy boost. But you are going to certainly need more injector and converter. I would run a Minimum of 72-75s # injectors and you need at least a 3600 to 3800 stall converter. Oh and dump the crappy ET streets. You are going to need a true 28 in tall slick.;)

Oh those 65 are good for 9s if you push them up to 100%...he only wants tens. I did that with 52s and a 58mm turbo. I'd hold onto the 63 until you've really got 'er in tune...and got some tens. The longer you wait, the more the price of the turbo will come down.:cool:

Originally posted by Scott231
Oh those 65 are good for 9s if you push them up to 100%...he only wants tens. I did that with 52s and a 58mm turbo. I'd hold onto the 63 until you've really got 'er in tune...and got some tens. The longer you wait, the more the price of the turbo will come down.:cool:
I know Dan went 10.9's@126 on a DR with the same turbo and 55's.
He's getting me a price on the 71 on Monday morning.
Maybe I'm getting too eager to jump up to a bigger turbo. :(

Thanks!
S.

Originally posted by Snorman
I know Dan went 10.9's@126 on a DR with the same turbo and 55's.
He's getting me a price on the 71 on Monday morning.
Maybe I'm getting too eager to jump up to a bigger turbo. :(

Thanks!
S.

I too am looking at going to a 71GTQ very soon.

But you have more in the 63.

I ran a 6.77 with a PT54 on Drag radials.

to put that in perspective, I ran a 10.85 @127 doing a 7.0 in the 1/8th.

so the 6.77 was probably a 10.50

From my point of view i would not use a 71 gtq on a 3.8 engine with iron heads and stock exhaust manifolds Maybe i just had back luck but i have lost hp with this turbo over a 70 p trim. This may not be the opinion of others, but i am just telling you what happend on my car. SO just keep it in mind.

Originally posted by norbs
From my point of view i would not use a 71 gtq on a 3.8 engine with iron heads and stock exhaust manifolds Maybe i just had back luck but i have lost hp with this turbo over a 70 p trim. This may not be the opinion of others, but i am just telling you what happend on my car. SO just keep it in mind.

Hi,
i very much agree with your theory norbs.i had a similar experience myself with my car.i feel the volume of exhaust from a 3.8 without "great" exhaust flow numbers cannot make the turbine side work efficent enough for such a big compressor wheel to work to its potential.

i would really like to hear more opinions on this.

Nick,

Hmmm, talk to Phil McGloin from Millersport, Ohio. He ported his own iron heads, runs a 70-GTQ in his TSM car with stock headers and has run over 135MPH. Must be plenty of exhaust flow from his 109. Don't say it can't be done.:D

So who has had luck with the 71GTQ?

it is between the 70gtq and the 71gtq for me.... how much of a difference is there between the two?

and for those that make the 71 work, what is your combo

Taffy,

In your opinion, what convertor would it take to spool the 70 GTQ with the .85 housing with stock ported heads and stock exhaust manifolds? Would this still be a nice street driver?