TE63 to TE45a...waste of $$$?

Snorman

Boosted.
I'm in the process of stepping up my combo.
Old combo was a stock longblock, TE63, PTE FMIC, 65# high-Z's, 3200 10" LU and the usual other stuff.
Dan Smith is doing a motor for me with a forged TRW's, Eagle crank, 212-roller, ported irons (227/184cfm) and intake. I'm considering going to a TE45a turbo. It's a small step from a 63 to a 66mm wheel, I'm wondering if it's going to be worth it.
I'm looking for easy mid-10's with this setup on good gas and the car also makes occassional late night runs on the street.
S.

I don't think a TE45-A is gonna be a big step up from the current turbo...IMO I would do the PT67 GTQ (850 hp). That turbo will do mid 10's on a good built motor like you will have easily. Plus it is a good streetable turbo still with a good stall (3600). Just my opinion though!:)

I'd prefer not to have to restall the convertor for a bigger turbo.
I'm afraid with too much stall and a big turbo I'm going to have trouble hooking.
A friend has that problem with a 72. I think Dan did suggest the PT67 if I was going bigger.
S.

I'm not sure if a 45 is gonna spool with a 3200 stall...just get a set of M/T Drag Radials for the street and it'll be all good:D

I run a 3500 stall with a PT61...right now on the street I run a set of balding BF Goodrich RADIALS 265/50/16...so you can only imagine the traction issues I have...I can't punch the car WOT under 55 mph otherwise the car goes crazy (27 lbs of boost will do that):eek:

I've just got alot of compliments about the 67 and how good of a 10 second turbo it is with a good motor...as long as you have a good tranny cooler, the higher stall is not an issue non lockup or not...and that turbo WILL spool

Yeah...I've got a tranny cooler and Eric just upgraded it to a Hi-Pro.
You don't think a 45a will spool with a 10"/3200?
S.

Yes! as more torque will stall higher. My old Non LU Art Carr 10" stalled a 4100 with the 45a ( was rated at 3200-3400 rpm ). Did you actually check your stall?, or are you going by the rated stall.

Originally posted by Snorman
Yeah...I've got a tranny cooler and Eric just upgraded it to a Hi-Pro.
You don't think a 45a will spool with a 10"/3200?
S.

not sure...like mentioned the stall does go up when you put more horsepower and torque to the motor...you might be ok with it...but honestly a 67 will be alot more than a 45

we have an 87t in the stable with a 45a a212 206 and m&as.it is a demon.needs to leave at 3800 rpms to really work good though.we have a 9/11 3800 with it and it has great street manners considering the turbo.

My 45A spooled real nice with a Vig 3200-3400. But, after hurting the trans and convertor, I upgraded to a Vig 3400-3600 and I can't think about building boost to leave on BFG TA's. Tires will break loose at 40-45 mph! :D

Originally posted by Snorman
I'm in the process of stepping up my combo.
Old combo was a stock longblock, TE63, PTE FMIC, 65# high-Z's, 3200 10" LU and the usual other stuff.
Dan Smith is doing a motor for me with a forged TRW's, Eagle crank, 212-roller, ported irons (227/184cfm) and intake. I'm considering going to a TE45a turbo. It's a small step from a 63 to a 66mm wheel, I'm wondering if it's going to be worth it.
I'm looking for easy mid-10's with this setup on good gas and the car also makes occassional late night runs on the street.
S.

Stick with the 63 or go bigger than the 45 ..JMO.

You've got a good combo and could proably get 129-130 out of the 63.

Mine went 126 on 26.5 psi with less motor than yours in a heavy car with a loosey goosey art carr n/l converter. .63 PTE a/r also.

PT70 sounds like it would fit the bill, that is if that turbo actually exsists?
Could of sworn the two new bad boy Garretts were the PT67 and that the PT70 was coming later.

I would consider a T70 before a 67GTQ, sounds like spool up is a problem.

Have you considered a double ball bearing GT70 P trim? :)

Works with 3200 stall 10". :cool:

It's only money. ;)

My 63 is a .63 housing.
I think I'll plan on sticking with the 63 for now, then possibly going bigger than the 45 after I get some seat time and see where the car is.
Should be up and running in about 2 weeks.
Thanks!
S.

2 words for you. Call Cotton!

I just picked up a turbonetics BB-65 with an .82 housing, and with the stock dp and restalled 12" D5 it still spools pretty good. I'm waiting on my dp to come so I can fix the boost issues(kinda slow due to puck misallignment, going external)

I also have a fairly large cam not helping the low end grunt any. I'll never go back to a non BB

There isnt a dimes difference in a 67gtq and a the 45A, NOT worth the time spent in swapping the two. The TE45A is a good mid 10 second turbo on good gas, and another BIG plus is that its a BIG shaft turbo not a small shaft. I know some people such as Sully on here have been low low 10's with his TE45A.

There isnt a dimes difference in a 67gtq and a the 45A, NOT worth the time spent in swapping the two. The TE45A is a good mid 10 second turbo on good gas, and another BIG plus is that its a BIG shaft turbo not a small shaft. I know some people such as Sully on here have been low low 10's with his TE45A. A 3200 stall WILL spool this turbo so long as you got big shoes and s-10 wheel cylinders.

The 45a is a unique animal. It kicks in where the 67 dies off..... Of course this depends on your combo. The 63 will get you into the 10's. The 45a is a slight upgrade over the 63 but requires much different tune to get the most out of it. If you go 45a, buy a boost gauge that goes beyond 30 PSI. :D