Project Car/Build for the board.. "Rusty Silver Bullet" seeking 10's ASAP!

First off congratulations are in order. You've managed to take a Turbo Regal that for all intents and purposes is on its last leg and took it down the track with a 'rookie' driver fast enough to REQUIRE a roll bar. My hats off to you sir. So what is the next move?

Love it! A fast rusty buick is like seeing someone out redlining an old shovel head or something up a hill at 100+ mph.

Thanks Mateo! :D

First off congratulations are in order. You've managed to take a Turbo Regal that for all intents and purposes is on its last leg and took it down the track with a 'rookie' driver fast enough to REQUIRE a roll bar. My hats off to you sir. So what is the next move?

Thanks alot Clay! The next move is to keep plugging away at this thing and get it in the 10s in the next 4 weeks before the season is over.. All the positive comments and PM's both here and on FB I get keeps me motivated to keep busting it on this thing week after week. Working on and helping board members with there cars, working full time 7 days a week and working on this "Project" isnt easy but I know the kid loves driving it and that really keeps me going on it watching him learn and accel.

I was looking forward to this weeks updates. Well done! Keep up the great thread, looking forward to seeing 10's.

Since you have the modded ECM already, have you thought about going with an E85 set up? Or are you planning to stick with race gas?

Damn Brian, great job!!!! Almost makes me feel like following your lead with my burgundy T. I'm going to live vicariously through you for now. Keep up the good work.

Since you have the modded ECM already, have you thought about going with an E85 set up? Or are you planning to stick with race gas?

Funny you ask that. I was just talking with Rob (forcefed3.8's) the other day about the E85 stations around us and the changes that would need made to make the switch as hassel free as possible. If we can meet our goal of 10's with this car/engine with the Cam2 I plan on doing alot of experimenting with it in the future including E85 and a few other things.

Damn Brian, great job!!!! Almost makes me feel like following your lead with my burgundy T. I'm going to live vicariously through you for now. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Mike!! I hope this thread inspires people. I hope it shows that you don't need to spend 10k in mods to have a low 11 or high 10 second car. It can be done with USED performance parts off this board, basic cheap scan tools for tuning (Scanmaster, OTC monitor, etc) and putting in the wrench time. I think the total money in this car at the end of the journey/goal is going to really surprise some people.;)

Great Job, let us know if you need a hand

Thank you Mike! I appreciate that!:)

I have tuned 9 sec cars with nothing more than a scan master it can be done, it is easier with better units though

Well, I for one love that the tech is being shared. I know it is cool to be at the top of the heap, but us dummys usually require extra help.
Experience goes a LONG way in racing. I'm glad some share the secrets.

Rich

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So what fuel are you running? 105 unleaded?

This thread is freaking awsome!! Threads like this inspired me on my qwest. I know there's going to be a time when my 13yr old son will ask me to to start racing my car as he's already hinting at it. I've already told myself we will have to start with a project similar to the car you went with. This will be the thread i tell him to read, re-read, and when he thinks he has it, I'll tell him to read it again. This is worthy of being a sticky for beginers!

I have tuned 9 sec cars with nothing more than a scan master it can be done, it is easier with better units though

Same here Mike.. 9.70s with a stock ecm, Red's chip, stock GM maf and an old school OTC 4000E monitor.. those were the days!:D

Well, I for one love that the tech is being shared. I know it is cool to be at the top of the heap, but us dummys usually require extra help.
Experience goes a LONG way in racing. I'm glad some share the secrets.

Rich

Thanks Rich! No doubt experience has made trying to reach this goal much quicker and easier.

So what fuel are you running? 105 unleaded?

Were running Cam 2 110 from a local gas station with a dedicated pump. The fuel is 106 motor octane.

Hey a list of mods (final tally) when you hit the 10's would be excellent...thanks again and good luck.

Brian...I have been reading turbobuick since 2001 just never really became a member until I finally got my car last year. Your post confirms why these cars are so awesome and why I have wanted one for so long. If what your doing here is not motivating to people I don't know what is. It also shows what a little bit of thinking and common sense and in your case experience will do. This is one of my favorite projects here. Keep up the awesome work..

Last edited:
Week 6 in the books!!

We did some suspension upgrades in this week. It was not so much an upgrade as it was a fix. As the picts show the original shocks are the car were just a little wasted..lol We added an old ATR sway bar with some basic Summit Racing brand adjustable shocks. They run 36.95 each. I dont know if you guys know Summit's retail store in Akron Ohio very well but they have a clearance/scratch and dent table there. As luck would have it they had a matching set of front shocks for a G body for $20 bucks!! Walked out of Summit with 4 adjustable shocks for the car for less than $95 bucks! The ATR bar was bought off the board. We set the shocks at 90/10 in the front and 50/50 in the rear. The car was actually lifting the left front wheel on the leave!:D

We also added a used set of 28 inch Hoosier Quick Time Pro street tires I had here. The car was running out of steam on the big end with the looser converter so I needed to get the rpms under control and bring the torque curve back into range. We added some more boost as well. Started out at 25 psi and finished at 27.5 psi for the day. The turbo doesnt seem to be reacting to higher boost at this point like I had hoped. I'm thinking about a turbo change for next week potentially. If I had all the time to split hairs and chip away at this combo and tune it week after week I think I could get it in the 10s with this set up.. with that being said we are starting into the rain month of October and opportunities to get to the track will be even fewer now.

Times for week 6 are as follows:

11.47@117.90, 11.36@118.24, 11.36@118.24, 11.33@118.83, 11.28@118.55 Video is the 11.28 pass!

As for week 7 upgrades.. the only thing I'm looking at is doing a bigger turbo to speed the process up and see if we can get these 10's!

project63.jpg

project64.jpg
project47.jpgproject48.jpgproject61.jpgproject62.jpg

What chip or electronics are u running to run 27.5 psi of boost i only have 15 psi and i have knock???

Great 60'! I have the same shocks, same sway bar and 275/55/16 M&H DRs and regardless of trans brake or foot brake I can't get below a 1.71

It sure mile an hours well. Churnin out some pah! 94 in the 1/8th and 118 in the 1/4 NICE!

Keep up the great work!