Project Car/Build for the board.. "Rusty Silver Bullet" seeking 10's ASAP!

Sorry for me to ask but do you have a trans brake?? If not how the hell do you hold 18 psi at the line i have a hard time with 5 psi lol keep up the good work and the 10's will come at bowling green !

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Apply that e brake and let her rip. You won't believe it. Use the regular brakes too.

Sorry for me to ask but do you have a trans brake?? If not how the hell do you hold 18 psi at the line i have a hard time with 5 psi lol keep up the good work and the 10's will come at bowling green !

The trans does have a stage right trans brake.. BUT we could hold as much boost with the foot brake. The brakes are very good on the car but this 18 psi is real misleading with this current turbo. It doesn't leave and hit the tires the way 18 psi with a tight converter and smaller wheel turbo would do. Could we foot brake that much with a tighter stall converter? Absolutely not.. This converter is very loose.. makes it easy to build almost instantly. The problem is were dealing with it being to loose now on the top end because of this. Unless I go buy a purpose built converter for alot of money vs the used $275 Art Carr unit this is what we are gonna be dealing with until the goal is met.

Just wanted to say thanks Brian for letting me be a part of this build. It's been fun as hell and have learned a lot along the way. Can't wait to see it run 10s in a couple days!!!

The trans does have a stage right trans brake.. BUT we could hold as much boost with the foot brake. The brakes are very good on the car but this 18 psi is real misleading with this current turbo. It doesn't leave and hit the tires the way 18 psi with a tight converter and smaller wheel turbo would do. Could we foot brake that much with a tighter stall converter? Absolutely not.. This converter is very loose.. makes it easy to build almost instantly. The problem is were dealing with it being to loose now on the top end because of this. Unless I go buy a purpose built converter for alot of money vs the used $275 Art Carr unit this is what we are gonna be dealing with until the goal is met.

Or you could pull it out and get it restalled. It would be time consuming if you have to ship it but if you have a shop local to you that could do it.:)

Awesome thread! Very inspiring.

I think that once you post the costs of everything you've got into the car to hit 10's , many of us will be very sad especially considering the amount of money we've dumped into our cars.:eek:

Keep up the great work!!!!

Also, big props for getting the kid involved... It's a chore to get either of my knucklehead nephews to even handle a wrench.

Week 8 in Bowling Green.. 10's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10.98@121.25
Screenshot_2013-10-17-19-30-29.png
project70.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-17-19-30-29.png
    Screenshot_2013-10-17-19-30-29.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 326
Great going! I'm happy for you to reach this goal. These cars are truly amazing!

Thanks guys!

Here are some videos from today. The second one was cut short but it really shows how much power the car is starting to make as it pulls the wheels a second time about 80 feet out! Gonna try to get the car deeper in the 10's tomorrow!

Many Many Congratulations!!! Very well deserved. You proved that it could be done with a stock unopened block. Now add up that total cost to see how much you actually spent. I'm going to be in the boat with the other guys' that have spent a ton & haven't hit the 10's yet, lol. Then again, I'm sure with some cool weather & some track time it could be done. Again, my congrats!!!

Yup Blaze, slide on over and make room, cause Im in the boat....lol ... Now that i have the saftey equipment and hard parts.. Im getting off the boat at the next port....lol

Many Many Congratulations!!! Very well deserved. You proved that it could be done with a stock unopened block. Now add up that total cost to see how much you actually spent. I'm going to be in the boat with the other guys' that have spent a ton & haven't hit the 10's yet, lol. Then again, I'm sure with some cool weather & some track time it could be done. Again, my congrats!!!

Thanks Ed! I am going to do a full break down on the build so everyone can see the total cost. I'm gonna list everything from the cost of the car, cost of every used part and the name of the board member who sold me the parts. Nothing will be left out.

I know that you are at a disadvantage with a 25+ year old motor but I say keep going and set the stock long block (documented) record.

I know that you are at a disadvantage with a 25+ year old motor but I say keep going and set the stock long block (documented) record.
I agree with Mike T on this. It would or will be interesting to say the least.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk now Free

Nice job!!! Where did the boost end up?

Thanks Rob!! Boost was almost 30 by the end of the run on that pass. Temperature dropped alot from the first run to the last as usual. The cam2 race fuel is just about at the end of its rope..lol.

I may consider doing this Mike. I have run stock bottom ends bottom 10's in the past with a good hydraulic cam, intake and heads.. as have some others I'm sure. I have no doubt this engine would do the same. The stock pistons become the problem at the bottom 10/high 9 level and start to crack under the cylinder pressure. I'm not sure what the bone stock short block record is or how you could officially prove it unless you did a public tear down once it finally gives up or sets "the record".

I wanted to show in this build that you can take a Turbo Regal that was left for dead just a couple months ago and make it a 10 sec car with very little money and not touch the engine. Do it using nothing but some cheap used bolt on's and no expensive fuel management systems. All tuned and run with a basic Red's chip, the stock GM maf and a 20 year old cheap scan tool. Best of all letting a 16 year old kid drive it.

Hey Brian my buddies stock bottom end running 10s @128 just gave up. Broke number 5 connecting rod crank at number 3 main and the rear main cap. It has been running low 11s to mid 10s for 12 years. 10s for the last 5 years. It has been beat on and had gone through 3 sets of headgaskets a season early on.