Project Car/Build for the board.. "Rusty Silver Bullet" seeking 10's ASAP!

It would be really cool to make a pass with the only change being new valve springs...but I understand if its not in the plan. Good work and great thread.

I would hand your nephew my keys and let him make a pass in mine so I could sit back and enjoy the show. Great progress and vids. This is definitely a thread for any new Turbo Buick owner.

It would be really cool to make a pass with the only change being new valve springs...but I understand if its not in the plan. Good work and great thread.

Clay, the car is getting new valve springs.. I just wont be doing them as a sole upgrade and nothing else from a previous week. 90% of the time new valve springs will net you depending how bad your old ones were 1-2 tenths and 2-3 mph typically. I want this car in the 10's in a matter of weeks with merely bolt on's so I dont have alot of time to spend showing what 1 mod will do.

I plan on no heads, no cam, no high dollar fuel management systems just to show this all can be done with board bought parts cheap if you know what your doing with tuning, driving, etc. Can it be done with a car that was on its death bed the way this one was? I dont know.. but were gonna find out!:)

11's already. Very impressive. Dang...

Thanks Ryan!

I would hand your nephew my keys and let him make a pass in mine so I could sit back and enjoy the show. Great progress and vids. This is definitely a thread for any new Turbo Buick owner.

He would like that Jim!:D That's all I do now.. hand him the keys, tune it and run the camera..lol

What psi is your nephew launching at? Awesome thread, thanks.

The car will only build around 6 psi and just sits there.. the cooler it got the better it came up. It just needs a decent stall speed converter and it should go 10+ psi and start to get the 60fts we need to get that number. Thanks!

Week 4 in the books!

The car received a Red's 106 chip, an upgraded restalled D5 converter to help make the TE62 turbo spool. I also added an old small Cartech front mount intercooler that I bought off a board member for $250 bucks and a solid mass air pipe to the K@N filter.

The turbo didnt want to spool much better with this unit than the stock one. It did help but not as much as I had hoped for basically a free piece. Its really killing the e/t. The mph def came up with the added items but traction is now becoming an issue when the power hits. I think were losing a good 2 tenths not having a decent converter. Also the transmission is really starting to slide into gear and I think its given us about all it has. When I changed the converter I took a pict of the rubber bushings that holds the cross member in.. wasted to put it mildly..lol This once again shows how bad off this car was. The cross member looked fine and was wire wheeled and painted up quick and good used rubber pads were put in on the trans reinstall.

The car is also starting to get very loose all the way out of the hole. The track doesn't prep well at all on test and tune night unfortunately. Im gonna look at adding some suspension upgrades like shocks and maybe a rear sway bar in the next couple weeks. The shocks on it now are completely shot.

Times were as follows for week 4. Boost was at 23 to 24.5 psi on these passes. The night cooled off again as we went on. I want to thank my nephew Seth for the great driving and all the help!
project44.jpg

12.09@113.93, 11.99@115.10, 11.89@116.53, 11.76@116.34, 11.66@116.55

I said I wasnt gonna do any appearance improvements on the car. Well its ran so good I felt we had to give it SOME love..lol The original front bumper fillars were shot and beginning to literally fall apart so I really didnt have a choice. I had and old left one from a previous car I had left over and got the other side from Mike (m233roller) for $35 bucks. Primed them and we bolted them up. It really improved the cars appearance.

Next week upgrades.. I'm taking up Vince Janis on his Stage 1 transmission donation and adding a used 16930 Art Car NL converter with it. I bought it off a local fellow TR guy for $275 bucks because he went with a new PTC lock up. Im also gonna install a set of Comp Cams 980 valve springs. Stay tuned..

Video of the last run..

Attachments

• project43.jpg
    project43.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 553
  • project40.jpg
    project40.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 526
  • project41.jpg
    project41.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 533
  • project42.jpg
    project42.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 547
Maybe i mist this in the tread! You guys running slicks?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Looking at your time slips I see that you are making great improvement from run to run. Would you mind sharing more detail about the adjustments/tuning you are doing between runs? How are you making the car come on so strong in the top end?

Thanks Bill

Looking at your time slips I see that you are making great improvement from run to run. Would you mind sharing more detail about the adjustments/tuning you are doing between runs? How are you making the car come on so strong in the top end?

Thanks Bill

Don't forget that as it gets later the air gets cooler/denser.

Don't forget that as it gets later the air gets cooler/denser.

You are 100% correct Clay.

Thanks Bill

Hi Bill, early runs were with 23 psi of boost. Turned the boost up from run to run a half pound or so at a time and during the time there the air temp dropped almost 20 degrees from when we first got to the track. It was 76 at 6:30 and by 10:15 it was 58. The car would not come up on boost and 60 ft very well until the air temp/density got much cooler/better. I make ALL the tuning adjustments by what the narrow band stock 02 sensor says the engine is doing off the OTC monitor. Either adding fuel or taking it away and making the adjustments to the boost after every pass. Also we are adjusting the launch accordingly to what the track is doing at that time.

Will post picts, vids and e/t results from the Norwalk Buick weekend and the friday night before later on this eve. Stay tuned..

Thanks for sharing Brian. I am enjoying following your thread. I am trying to learn all I can about how others are making their cars fast so I can apply it to mine. I am sure there are many novices on here such as myself that are benefiting from what you are doing with that car.:)

Thanks again! Bill

Week 5 in the books!

Week 5 mods.. We installed a freshly built Janis 2004r trans donated by Vince along with an Art Carr NL 16930. I want to personally thank Vince for his generosity and help with this! He has been a great friend for over 18 years! We also installed the Comp Cams 980 valve springs.

The car liked the new converter and trans but not as much as I hoped. Its loose down low and now will spool the turbo almost instantly but we are losing some on top because it isnt really built for this stock engine combo. It needs more rpm/horsepower to get it to couple better on the top end, something this stock motor doesnt want to give up real easy. We are def missing the lock up portion of the old converter. If you notice its starts building boost at the first yellow and is basically ready to leave by the time the green light hits now. I am gonna try to not get a purpose built converter for this combo and stay with the Art Carr but it may not be possible.. time will tell. The stock trans and restalled converter based off these numbers from last week was still holding up pretty good.. it just wouldnt spool good at all unless it was really cooled off outside.

The valve springs helped the car as well. There's no question that this car sat a loooong time. The push rods were actually rusty(see picts) in it from condensation over the years. We thousand grit sand papered them down with mineral spirits and cleaned them up, they looked almost like new again. The engine has been kept up on the oil changes. Very little deposits left in the oil valleys in the heads or in the valve covers.. both were very clean. I was pleasantly surprised!

Best pass for week 5 was 11.45@115.96 at Norwalk.

The car is going to get more boost, new shocks all the way around and an ATR sway bar will be added.. also going to try 28 inch tall tires for week 6. We really need to get it to hook better on street night if were going to get a 10 out of this car.

The 11.45 video from Norwalk has Brian Horsky's (Turbo6Camaro) Buick Turbo V6 Camaro running 10.32 against the bullet. Nice pass Brian!!

project49.jpg

11.75@116.38, 11.64@116.99, 11.59@116.69, 11.54@11.69 at Dragway 42.

11.45@115.96, 11.49@115.36 passes at Norwalk. The 11.70 pass was me letting off to take the win light in eliminations. The 11.45 time slip was lost but the video clearly shows the run.

Attachments

• project51.jpg
    project51.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 512
  • project50.jpg
    project50.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 507
  • project52.jpg
    project52.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 497
  • project53.jpg
    project53.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 481
  • project46.jpg
    project46.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 470
  • project54.jpg
    project54.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 478
  • project45.jpg
    project45.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 466
11.45 pass from Norwalk.

The car got a bath and some tire shine before Norwalk.. Have you ever seen a car washed with an SOS pad? LOL!:D

Screenshot_2013-09-11-08-17-15.png

Attachments

• project55.jpg
    project55.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 406
  • project56.jpg
    project56.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 405