Project Car/Build for the board.. "Rusty Silver Bullet" seeking 10's ASAP!

I can say I have been involved in the project from day one when we picked it up and Brian is not exaggerating in the slightest bit about any of the mods or times. He is being as accurate as possible about everything he is doing to give a real world perspective of what each part or combo of parts will do at the track.

Ah yes, the secret gutted cat trick.;) I did that for a while b/f the Houston downpipe.

Took the car and weighed it last night. Just the car itself weighed 3320# That's no spare tire or jack, Weld wheels and a quarter tank of fuel.
project27.jpg

That's right on with what I have seen. My friend's Limited weighed 3550 with me in it (180lbs), with some heavier than stock bolt ons, also it is a fully optioned astro roof car.

On the light side.:)
X2 that is pretty light. I'll have to take our the spare n jack. Mine usually scaled 3580 or so with me in it.

Times looking good. Did you crank up the boost any?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

X2 that is pretty light. I'll have to take our the spare n jack. Mine usually scaled 3580 or so with me in it.

Times looking good. Did you crank up the boost any?

The car will weigh in at 3600 with a full tank of fuel and myself driving.

WEEK 2 in the books.

Did some much needed maintenance on the car. Replaced a door pin that was just a little bad..lol (see pict) Rear end oil was changed and bottle of GM limited slip oil added.

We added a used set of 55# injectors and a Red's 93 chip that were purchased off the board for $100 dollars because I had a modified driver ecm on hand. Car idles like it should now. Added a adj fuel regulator, adj boost actuator and a used old steel THDP bought off another board member for $100 dollars and using the dump pipe instead of through the stock style exhaust. I'm using Cam 2 race gas bought at a local gas station and using an old school OTC 4000E as a scan tool.

Car went a best of 12.55@105

The stock turbo is about shot on the car I believe. The car should have went closer to 12.20's with these mods anyway based off of many previous builds. Im unsure what the boost was because it had no boost guage in yet. I will be adding a TE62 with a Precision .63 housing donated for us to use by board member Coach for next weeks update (Thanks Donnie!). Still will have the stock trans and converter which is holding up for now and still will have the stock intercooler.

Here are some videos of the car.. You can actually see the rust dust flying off the car on these passes. It stopped that after the first couple of runs..lol All these runs are with my 16 year old nephew driving. He is doing a great job for this being his first runs down the strip.

Attachments

• project28.jpg
    project28.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 571
  • project30.jpg
    project30.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 575
  • project29.jpg
    project29.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 562
  • project31.jpg
    project31.jpg
    1,022.6 KB · Views: 584
Great thread, keep it going. I think your nephew is hooked now, he's doing a good job driving the car.

Good job passing the torch to the next generation. He's doing a great job driving. I'm digging the progress with the car. Couple more mods and that stock tranny will start to complain.

So cool! I can't believe I missed this thread until now. Good luck and thanks for getting the young guys into it.

Well given the fact that it's a forum project I'll ask what were the parameters to run that #? What boost & timing?

Good job passing the torch to the next generation. He's doing a great job driving. I'm digging the progress with the car. Couple more mods and that stock tranny will start to complain.

I agree Pronto.. The servo change is the only thing keeping it alive. I informed my nephew that all at once the car is going to have no positive shift like it currently does and be flat and smooth on shifts as the clutches will be gone shortly:( I think it will go in the solid 11's before it starts to give up. Time will tell.

Well given the fact that it's a forum project I'll ask what were the parameters to run that #? What boost & timing?

It has a Red's 93 street chip in it.. so the timing is similar to a stock chip. As for the boost I have no idea.. no guage in it yet. If I had to guess I would say 21-22 psi.. stock turbo is usually finished in that area and this one is all but shot. Car should have went low 12's with a good stock turbo or better at that level if everything is up to par. Cam, engine compression, etc..

We will know more about the engines condition/potential after this week with the addition of the TE62 turbo. Stay tuned..

WEEK 3 update in the books.

We added the TE62 turbo to the combo with a Buschur Racing boost controller (donated by David Buschur) controlling the stock waste gate. That was the only performance mod change. I added a Red's volt booster and a pillar mounted boost guage as well. The car is going to need a converter to make this turbo work like it should. The lag is pretty bad with the stock D5 converter and it is really killing the short time. The air started to get really good on the last pass and it actually would come up on boost with the stock converter some what. I'm also really limited on what I could get away with boost wise with the tune with the 93 street chip and the stock intercooler. The trans is starting to feel the strain as well but its still holding up. Its days are numbered and Vince Janis is standing by with his donated Stage 1 build unit whenever were ready.

The car went 12.37@111.9, 12.34@112.4, 12.28@112.4, 12.07@111.9 and finished with an 11.87@113.69.

I'm happy to say after 3 weeks the car is an 11 second car! Best of all a 16 year old is driving it :D I know there is probably a tenth or 2 more in it with my driving but my nephew is really progressing nicely and I know his launching and shifting skills are starting to get really good. Boost was around 22 psi.

Next week I plan on several changes. I plan on a chip, converter change and possibly adding an intercooler of some type and a maybe a new maf pipe as the electrical tape on the stock one is all thats holding it together:D

project36.jpg
project37.jpg

Attachments

• project33.jpg
    project33.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 512
  • project32.jpg
    project32.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 515
  • project34.jpg
    project34.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 548