PF52 filter vs the "biggie" oil filters

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok, I seen some of the "big" filters that are supposed to be useable with the biggie oil filter adapters, but they're shorter than my PF52. Sure they're fatter, but still shorter. So do they cancel out and end up with the same amount of filtering capability / extra added oil capacity?
Or, does anyone here have a KNOWN POSITIVE FITTING filter that is bigger than the PF52's AND just as tall? Because I can't find a filter that fits these adapters...

The key here is anti-drain back. If I remember correctly there is an issue with the newer PF52 and most if not all the delco filters. I always used the PF52, but later switched to Baldwin because I knew for sure it had the drain back provision.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Delco filters are now in the 'suck ass' category as they're sourced from overseas now.

I'm a wix guy. 51036 fits on and it is taller than 51040 that is stock replacement.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I agree, delco is shit BUT, like the other guy was saying about delco here, there are the american ones with the steel insides. Just seen one about 30 minutes ago at Murrays. BUT, I got a filter that fit. Wixs 51049. As tall as the old pf52, but as round as the fat boy filters. :) No other wixs would fit :(

I do believe that is the one I use on the remote filter setup I have. I also like the wix filters. Cut mine apart all the time and they are pretty well made.

I run nothing but wix on everything I own ... marks filter does look top notch though

The difference between the "biggie" filter and the PF52 is surface area in a given space. The biggie may look shorter but if you took the filter element out and got the square inches VS the PF52 then you'd see the difference. The larger filter may be shorter but the pleats are larger for the given space.;) It will filter more provided you get a quality filter rather than a cheapy like you get at most retail outlets.

So, whats the best filter to run if you DONT have a biggie adapter?

I wish I knew that also, as I've internally crushed a delco and a purolator filter. I ran the wix and didn't blow it apart so it's better than than the other garbage filters out there.

I know my O/P is high cold, 80psi but shouldn't be destroying filters from the inside out.

I'm running a K&N right now and will see if that's any better, but will probably go back to a WIX unless there are no issues with the K&N.

I change my oil every month or every 1,500 miles because I'm anal about keeping the engine clean internally so I go through a lot of filters and oil.

wix equivalent to the pf52
51036 or 51036xp
or napa gold 1036(same as wix)

or you can get the canton billet cartridge style from hueffman
http://buickgn.com/billetoilfilters.html
or the billet turbo protector version
http://buickgn.com/turboprotector.htm

with the pte turbo saver i run the 51049, thats a big thread filter and much larger than the OE or the 51036

you can get "race" filters that offer more flow at reduced filtration but they shouldnt be used for extended use on the street , more for the guy that trailers in , runs it hard and changes the oil before the next event