Oil Filter Information

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
Oil filters are taken for granted, but what is best for your engine is left to the advertising media or manufacturers info, so here is some interesting data.

Observe the following examples of K&P Engineering filter media:

This is a new unused filter element. The filter media is made up of thousands of very fine stainless steel wires woven into a filter cloth. Using this type of filter media allows us to provide OEM filtration with a much higher flow rate. This higher flow helps keep the engine flushed out. Fiber filters use fibers that are pressed or glued together and must get to a certain thickness to achieve the appropriate filtration, which introduces an inherently higher restriction to flow. This filter can be 80% plugged and still flow as much as a new paper fiber filter.

This is the K&P Engineering filter media after approximately 2500 miles in a 5.7 liter Chrysler engine with 215,000 miles on it. This engine has used a K&P Engineering oil filter since new. Very little debris on the filter media.

This is the K&P Engineering filter media after approximately 4000 miles in a Mercury V6 engine with 125,000 miles on it.
The oil changes for this engine had been neglected during the cars lifetime, and there is an abnormally high amount of debris on the filter media. It is, however, substantially less than the amount of debris from previous oil change (after approximately 4000 miles) which was the first using the K&P Engineering oil filter on this engine. This engine is getting cleaner with time as the K&P Engineering filter continues to clean the oil that is flowing through the engine.

This is the K&P Engineering filter media out of a customers M5 engine. The amount of debris on the filter media is so extreme that you can not even see the filter cloth, it is completely plugged. The customer indicated that the filter had only been in the engine for 1500 miles. This is a huge flag that the engine is begging for attention. The good news is the debris pictured here has been removed from the engine. The bad news is it looks like there is plenty more that should be removed from the engine. With the engine being this dirty we highly recommend an overly attentive program to get the engine back to normal. This would include very frequent filter cleanings until the filter looks more like the one out of the 5.7 liter engine above.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 152
Yes, they are reusable.

The regular price is $169, but for board members it will be $150. The one I keep in stock have no bypass since it is not needed. Simple to figure out how many oil changes it will take before it pays for itself!

I had difficulty with the images, hopefully you should be able to apply the appropriate pic with the right paragraph.

Bought mine from Nick several years back and love it. Its the only cleanable filter id consider!!
A FYI, USE the S16 for the PTE remote oil filter.
Theres a cross reference issue (ive called them about it but maybe theres other applications that require that plate and they keep it) ...The Baldwin B9 is what you want to cross reference and NOT the AC PF1218 (another filter option for the remote). The AC comes up with a S19 and it will work but has a plate that's needed and just more stuff to mess with. Order the S16 for the remote filter and your done.

Is there an AC Delco PF24 equivalent for the Biggie filter?
All I found on your website was the remote filter set up.

Ok. So you guys are recommending this filter. I am seriously looking into it. 150 is a little steep but if you guys recommended it. I will purchase it. So the S16 is the equivalent for the PF24. This is for a non remote application to use as a regular oil filter correct. For a 3500 mile oil change

So Nick we can buy a S16 from you that will work with PTE remote location oil filter? Thank you

I know nick can get you anyone you want. I like the one I have. Really let's me see what's going on with the motor and I can clean it at anytime

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Ok. So you guys are recommending this filter. I am seriously looking into it. 150 is a little steep but if you guys recommended it. I will purchase it. So the S16 is the equivalent for the PF24. This is for a non remote application to use as a regular oil filter correct. For a 3500 mile oil change

The stock configuration oil filter is AC Delco PF47, the longer version is PF52. Both crossover to the S18.

Turbo nasty says to use the S16 for the Precision remote oil filter setup.
The S16 is the crossover filter for the stock configuration when using the RJC Racing "biggie" filter adapter.

http://rjcracing.com/product/oil-filter-adapter/

turbo nasty has taught me well, the student has become the master. Lol

More info to make choosing an oil filter easier.

Remember to order the No Bypass version to protect your eng. oil cooler and turbo from contamination.

I really wanted the Black Nickel finish that is not available. I got the machined aluminum and will have it powder coated locally.

The S16 and S18 filters are the same physical size and use the same C3 housing. The filter elements have different thread sizes.

The C3 housing can't be ordered in all the available finishes listed. (You have to go to the individual filter specs to find the finish choices, not all that easy to find).

The finish options are listed in the upper right side of photo.

S18 as an example.
IMG_5335.PNG

Photos of the finish choices.

IMG_5336.PNG

IMG_5337.PNG

IMG_5338.jpg

Call Nick and get yours today!!
Does that qualify for the discount? Lol
Thank you Nick!

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
George

Hey Nick, I'd like to get one of those for my car.

Give me a call when you have a minute.