Ok...Now What?

1987Vader

Fade to Black!
As you can see, I have a plain Jane GN. Am I done...should I do more... or should I keep it this way? If you see, my changes are not much. Should I be happy or should I get a 160 Therm and change my chip? I want to keep it "stock" or at least be able to change it back...but the speed thing still gets me. What would you do? I am not ready for alky and it is a "soft" reliable daily driver. Am I done? I love my car and am on a limited budget. Basically, I am blessed just to own a GN. I thank God every time I walk to it in a parking lot. Thanks for your help.

Vader, I'm nearly 70. I have a GN that was bone stock till this year. Got a wild hair and changed a few things. Some was needed like an exhaust. The old one rotted out so I went to SS 2" mandrel bent with a cut out. SS mufflers you can see through and sound just right. That was ok and since I did that, I decided to improve the rest of the exhaust by putting in a 3.5" SS DP with internal waste gate. That might have been ok but I also changed the intake to a large big mouth cold air and a TT 93 chip. That might have done it cause detonation reared its ugly head. Good thing I stopped at its first sign.
To correct the lean condition, after much tweaking everything else possible, I was faced with getting bigger injectors or get an alky kit. I added an alky system, Razor's, fine system. Now my GN is addicted to methanol. It is an added expense to the already sky high gas prices. Had my car dyno tuned in order to get the most out of my investment. It now gives 350 hp at the motor and 300 hp at the wheels. Not bad for the 245 cu. in. It idles smoother, it costs me in methanol and slightly lower gas milage and I feel safer from detonation.
Would I do it again? NO. Your setup seems just right. Its been a over a month since all the work was done and I have not gone over 60 mph yet. I drive the car in town, to the golf course, twice a week. Then it gets stored in the garage. I use a Jeep for shopping runs and getting around. I may even sell the car rather than take the stuff off. Contemplating a Turbo-Elky trade or buy. I love my GN. It has been a faithful friend. My wife loves it too.

Snowballing

As you can see, I have a plain Jane GN. Am I done...should I do more... or should I keep it this way? If you see, my changes are not much. Should I be happy or should I get a 160 Therm and change my chip? I want to keep it "stock" or at least be able to change it back...but the speed thing still gets me. What would you do? I am not ready for alky and it is a "soft" reliable daily driver. Am I done? I love my car and am on a limited budget. Basically, I am blessed just to own a GN. I thank God every time I walk to it in a parking lot. Thanks for your help.

It starts to snowball fast, be ready. I would change to a 160 therm, as I believer all of Eric's chips turn the fan on at 165.

It starts to snowball fast, be ready. I would change to a 160 therm, as I believer all of Eric's chips turn the fan on at 165.

Eric can make the fan come on at any temp.. as he programs the chip.

The performance bug is that.. if you like the rush of getting planted into the drivers seat... and want more.. the car will deliver. But every change one does has a counter balance. And that is typically higher maintenance and costs. The faster it gets.. the more it will cost to maintain. This applies to everything from a car to an airplane.

If you dont put your foot into it.. leave the car alone and drive it from Point A to Point B. And it will be very reliable. Spend money on braking updates and suspension mods. And dont complain it doesnt feel fast... Once you make your bed.. you lay in it :D

If you keep scratching for improved performance... then be ready for its consequences. Increasing HP through whatever means increases wear/tear/and maintenance.

Good luck in your decisions.

Me.. i'll die someday and cant take anything with me.. I mod all my cars and enjoy beating on them. I never want to look back and say I wish I did XYZ.. Eventually will get too old to enjoy anything anymore.. Its only a car ;)

Keep it as is and keep the miles off as much as possible, I have about the same mods. I got a G8 GT to feed my power hunger instead of doing more to my GN. A few similar upgrades and a SC on the LS engine and you have a real screamer, plus the car handles so much better.

Thank you for all of your comments. I will heed your warnings as well! With this car, should I change it to a 160 therm? Or am I ok with the stock one? Thanks again.

Just drive it and enjoy it untill you have the money to do what you want if you push it its going to hurt more:biggrin:

limited budget said it all. Leave it alone...these things are more expensive than women when you start adding power.

Bryan

Keep it simple and you won't have any problems or else before you know it you will be pulling that motor out every 200 miles or so now am not going to mention any names;)

Be happy it runs when you want it too, some of us get bit in the ass from the crappy parts bug so IMO, you're golden. What does the GN run temperature wise?

Though Crow's post and the exhaust might be something to look into, the Flowmasters SUCK for turbo cars, usually backpressure galore. Might want to find a Stainless system with high flow mufflers and a test pipe and call it a year. That could be an easy 5psi of boost increase from just this alone and make the butt dyno happy for now.

I would change out the exhaust when money permits. A new t stat wouldn't hurt either. There's little things you can do with the car like s10 front brakes, fbody sway bar, aluminum drums and bumper braces, body braces, etc.

If you are still running the powermaster I would suggest hydroboost or at least vacuum brakes. Make sure you keep all your stock parts

Mods for a DD that will get boosted once in a while
1-New chip for today's fuel
2-160 T-stat
3-Hot wire kit
4-Fuel pressure regulator
5-Scanmaster
6-Get rid of the cooling fan BIG relay that WILL drain your battery

Mods for a DD that will get boosted once in a while
1-New chip for today's fuel
2-160 T-stat
3-Hot wire kit
4-Fuel pressure regulator
5-Scanmaster
6-Get rid of the cooling fan BIG relay that WILL drain your battery

#1 Done
#2 Gonna do it...thanks!
#3 Done
#4 Done
#5 Should...but wouldn't know what to do with it if I had one.:confused:
#6 Will that stop my Fan from running after i shut the car off? BTW it ONLY does it if I have been running my air conditioning...and if I turn the key to on and then off again, it will turn off.

As for the exhaust...I do not have the cat anymore and have a complete new exhaust as of last summer. I wish I would have known that my flowmaster set up for the GN sucks...thought they were good...would have gone a different route if I would have known.:mad:

Thanks again for all of your comments.

#1 Done
#2 Gonna do it...thanks!
#3 Done
#4 Done
#5 Should...but wouldn't know what to do with it if I had one.:confused:
#6 Will that stop my Fan from running after i shut the car off? BTW it ONLY does it if I have been running my air conditioning...and if I turn the key to on and then off again, it will turn off.

As for the exhaust...I do not have the cat anymore and have a complete new exhaust as of last summer. I wish I would have known that my flowmaster set up for the GN sucks...thought they were good...would have gone a different route if I would have known.:mad:

Thanks again for all of your comments.

yes
But if you have an issue or just want to make sure things are in good order this bunch of great guys on here can tell you everything you need to know about it and then some.