Just had my Engine Rebuilt

Paulmac201

I just had my 1987 Buick GN engine rebuilt top to bottom. I need to get the timing set, turbo set, etc. Does anyone know of a good turbo mechanic in Northwest Indiana? Also, what other work should I have done after the engine rebuild? Thanks.

Need a little more info . Is the car completely stock , if not what mods are done ? What was done to the motor ? What are your goals with the car ? What fuel , 93 , 93 / alky , E85 ?
Put any mods in your signature , it will help us help you .

Kept it stock. Bored .30 over. 42lb injectors. I would like a cruiser that uses premium gas.

How is the fuel system , new pump , hot wired ?

This is all stuff you can do yourself.

If the cam sensor hasn't been rebuilt it would be a good idea(check out Turbo Nasty on here), install it in the correct orientation, get a cam sensor tool from Caspers to help ya set up timing(25*) past TDC. Done. No set up for a turbo, bolt it up, hook up oil feed, drain, possibly a turbo saver(since motor is new), wastegate hoses, and your done.

I second what Sam said. Replace fuel pump/filter, & install hotwire. Done. Cheap insurance since your build again is new. What to do after is up to you. It can be a slippery slope......or not. You haven't said what kind of internals you have so that'll determine break-in procedures.

Not sure what kind of shape your trans is in......the list goes on & on.

I just had my 1987 Buick GN engine rebuilt top to bottom. I need to get the timing set, turbo set, etc. Does anyone know of a good turbo mechanic in Northwest Indiana? Also, what other work should I have done after the engine rebuild? Thanks.

Subscribing. I am looking for a GN mechanic in NWI also. Who rebuilt your motor?

This is all stuff you can do yourself.

If the cam sensor hasn't been rebuilt it would be a good idea(check out Turbo Nasty on here), install it in the correct orientation, get a cam sensor tool from Caspers to help ya set up timing(25*) past TDC. Done. No set up for a turbo, bolt it up, hook up oil feed, drain, possibly a turbo saver(since motor is new), wastegate hoses, and your done.

I second what Sam said. Replace fuel pump/filter, & install hotwire. Done. Cheap insurance since your build again is new. What to do after is up to you. It can be a slippery slope......or not. You haven't said what kind of internals you have so that'll determine break-in procedures.

Not sure what kind of shape your trans is in......the list goes on & on.
I just ordered the Camshaft position sensor from partsgeek.com. That should take care of the timing. I will also do the fuel pump/filter/hotwire too. I can send over all internals later on. I bought all rebuild parts from GN1:since they seemed the only ones I found to have them in stock. My engine builder was having a difficult time finding certain items from his suppliers so I just paid the premium and ordered them from GN1.

How is the fuel system , new pump , hot wired ?
Thanks for your reply. I just bought the Camshaft position sensor. I will post all of the internals that were purchased from GN1 for my rebuild. I am new to GN’s but I want to learn for sure. Thanks again.

I just ordered the Camshaft position sensor from partsgeek.com. That should take care of the timing. I will also do the fuel pump/filter/hotwire too. I can send over all internals later on. I bought all rebuild parts from GN1:since they seemed the only ones I found to have them in stock. My engine builder was having a difficult time finding certain items from his suppliers so I just paid the premium and ordered them from GN1.
Parts geek does not have cam position sensors. The 2 items shown are a CRANK position sensor and cam sensor cap made by Walker which have had issues. Standard used to make the sensors after GM stopped but they stopped making them several years ago and all stock is gone. I have not seen any news of them remaking them either. You are way better off having your stock GM sensor rebuilt.

Need a little more info . Is the car completely stock , if not what mods are done ? What was done to the motor ? What are your goals with the car ? What fuel , 93 , 93 / alky , E85 ?
Put any mods in your signature , it will help us help you .
Here are the components from GN1 Performance that were used to rebuild my 1987 GN:
4340 Steel Stock Stroke 3.400 Crankshaft
Neutral Balanced Flex Plate
JE Pistons for a 3.400 Stock Stroke Crank and Bore of .030
H Beam Forged Steel 5970 Connecting Rods
Calico Main Bearings
Calico Rod Bearings
ARP Rod Bolt Upgrade
42lb High Impedence Fuel Injectors with Custom Commander Chip
Cam Kit - Cam, timing chain set, and lifters 208/208
GN1 Performance Roller Rocker Arms 1.55 Ratio

Again, any help with what I can add or modify after the rebuild is helpful. The previous owner had the stock transmission rebuilt a few years ago and it seems to be fine.

Parts geek does not have cam position sensors. The 2 items shown are a CRANK position sensor and cam sensor cap made by Walker which have had issues. Standard used to make the sensors after GM stopped but they stopped making them several years ago and all stock is gone. I have not seen any news of them remaking them either. You are way better off having your stock GM sensor rebuilt.
I can return what I purchased. Do you know if GN1 Performance has what I need? I have had good luck with them. Thanks. -Paul-

There are no new cam sensors being made by anyone that I'm aware of. Every once in while a NOS GM one shows up on EBAY or FB for about $700. If you don't want to rebuild it yourself there some TB guys out there that are rebuilding them. Also the Caspers cap with the LEDs in them are troublesome so I would stay with your stock one.

Again . How is the fuel system ?? All stock ? Fuel pump Hot wire ? New pump , if so which pump . You will kill that new motor with a marginal fuel system .

Again . How is the fuel system ?? All stock ? Fuel pump Hot wire ? New pump , if so which pump . You will kill that new motor with a marginal fuel system .
As far as I know the fuel pump is stock. I will buy the new pump, filter, and Hotwire. What pump and filter should I buy?

Call FullThrottle @ (586)294-4404 , they are a vendor here and have everything you need , just tell them what you have and they will get you the right parts for your build .

As far as I know the fuel pump is stock. I will buy the new pump, filter, and Hotwire. What pump and filter should I buy?
I would go with a 255 pump. Since you're just looking for a stock car, that would be fine. You can't really safely go above 15-17ish pounds anyway without going to ALKY, E85, or race gas. Youve said you just want a cruiser so that would be fine.

Brand is up to you. DW, Racetroxix, Walbro. I use DW personally. As long as you keep with your stock build you shouldn't need to modify too much. If you decide to go further though, you'll need to look into other things.

If your trans isn't built by the people who KNOW how to build 200's then it's just a crap shoot. It may last, it may not. A lot of your questions depend on where you personally want to take your car.

Thanks again. I took her out for a quick spin today. I will keep in touch. Thanks for all of the help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240204_144106_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240204_144106_Gallery.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54