Oil pump priming tool

daviss

In anticipation of reinstalling my motor I made a priming tool last night. I cut the blade of a large flat screwdriver at its widest point and then rounded it off with a dremel to fit an old oil pump shaft I had laying around. Then I cut the handle off the screwdriver so it would fit in the drill. Slid the shank into a 3/8 drive 12mm-12pt socket and welded the socket to the shank. I took about 20 minutes and works perfectly. Thought this might come in handy for someone someday. Excuse the welds, my dog ate my helmet so I was shielding with my hand. I'll clean them up later.

Attachments

• 101_1524.jpg
    101_1524.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 267
  • 101_1525.jpg
    101_1525.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 294
I haven't been doing this long enough to stockpile old cam sensors. I saw yours in another thread a while back and that's what got me thinking. Yours definitely looks more professional than mine.

Did you make a valvespring tool yet ? ;) You will want one of those in your toolbox too. :D

I haven't been doing this long enough to stockpile old cam sensors. I saw yours in another thread a while back and that's what got me thinking. Yours definitely looks more professional than mine.

I probably would have made one like yours, but my welder was in another state at the time. I had to make due with a sawzall and a drill instead.

I felt stupid for hacking up a perfectly good cam sensor, but it was one of several spares so I could afford to lose one of them. :D

i've been using old cam sensor as well
once the tanges at the bottom wear away the sensor is worthless so why not make something you can use
the one you used Art looks like it had a lot of years left in it

I ground off the gear teeth so there is no chance of spreading the ears on the oil pump shaft
removed reluctor disc (save it the cap and the screws in your emergency kit )
slide out the shaft
cut the body below the cap base
put the shaft back
I pressed a socket onto the top end of the shaft

now i can prime with a speeder wrench or with a drill with a 3/8" socket adapter

Did you make a valvespring tool yet ? ;) You will want one of those in your toolbox too. :D

Not yet but I've got some scrap round bar laying around that Im sure I could do something with. Was that yours I saw the pic of with the pry bar handle welded on? That was a good idea.

remember it takes 10 minuts to get oil up to the rocker shaft. i dont know why but it does.....

Oil Priming Tool

I bought my oil priming tool at the auto parts store. The small block chevy priming tool is an exact fit for our TR's. Remove the cam sensor get your priming tool and a drill and you are in business. Then again the old petroleum jelly trick will work if you happen to have the oil pump apart. :)