Oil Pump not priming

Bob Lob-Law

Been trying to find an oil leak for a long time so I jacked the front of the car up and let it run so I could crawl under it and look for the leak. After it running for about 5 minutes I noticed that the oil/choke light was on. I turned off the car and let the car down. I cranked the car with the ECM unplugged to see if oil pressure would return. It did not. I then removed the cam sensor and turned the oil pump with a drill and straight edge. No oil pressure came from that. I finally unhooked the top oil coolant line and poured oil in, then turned the oil pump counter clockwise and then clockwise with the drill to see if oil pressure would return. No joy.

So, what should be my next action? The oil pump is a TA Performance adjustable. I am running 15w-50 oil and it has been really cold here lately only getting to the upper 30s and down to around 15 at night.

More history of the engine is needed.

Is this a new build or one that has been around for a while ?

The pressure gauge or sender could be suspect. I would think that running an engine for 5 minutes with no pressure would cause all sorts of noise. Were the lifters clattering louder than usual? If not, then try hooking up a mechanical gauge just to rule out a faulty pressure gauge.

The lifters were making a lot of noise, which is what made me take a look at the scanmaster and idiot lights to see if any codes were being thrown.
As far as history on the engine; I have had this engine for several years now. I'll drive it during the summers a bit and show it during the fall festival in Franklin VA. It will sit during the winter with me letting it idle about twice a month. Been sitting for the past year after I clipped the side of the garage and tore the header panel apart. Just let the engine run a couple of weeks ago with no problems. No runs at the track.

Maybe the shaft spun in the gear/cracked gear. I would probably pull the oil filter adaptor and inspect the gears. But maybe first make sure there’s oil in it?

Check the roll pin in the cam sensor gear. If it shears, once the engine is running, loss of cam sensor input, won't kill the engine, but will stop the pump.
Did you have a "real" gauge on the car? If not, o_O
Cut the filter open, and drain the oil. See if there's crap there, that could have sheared the pin.

After filling up the top oil cooler hose I turned the pump counter clockwise by hand. I then spun the pump clockwise with the drill

After filling up the top oil cooler hose I turned the pump counter clockwise by hand. I then spun the pump clockwise with the drill
Try spinning it counter clockwise with the drill for Alil while then go CWs if that doesn’t prime it check the pick up tube bolts because u are sucking air some where

Last edited:
The lifters were making a lot of noise, which is what made me take a look at the scanmaster and idiot lights to see if any codes were being thrown.
As far as history on the engine; I have had this engine for several years now. I'll drive it during the summers a bit and show it during the fall festival in Franklin VA. It will sit during the winter with me letting it idle about twice a month. Been sitting for the past year after I clipped the side of the garage and tore the header panel apart. Just let the engine run a couple of weeks ago with no problems. No runs at the track.
Bob are you really in Franklin VA near route 58? I am in Surry County of 460 halfway between 460 and the Ferry. We should hook up sometime.

When priming with the drill there should have been quite a bit of back pressure on the drill. IOW, you should have felt the oil pressure build by how much the drill torqued back.

Last time I saw this a tiny piece of the plastic upper timing chain gear had blocked the oil pressure regulator valve open.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Bob are you really in Franklin VA near route 58? I am in Surry County of 460 halfway between 460 and the Ferry. We should hook up sometime.
Steve, yes, actually I live outside of town between Franklin and Sedley. Yes, after it gets warmer it would be nice to meet up.

Okay, I'll be taking a look at the oil pump first. Going to do that now. I'll respond as soon as I am done. If I don't find anything, I'll be draining the oil and lowering the pan. Be back in a few......

Steve, yes, actually I live outside of town between Franklin and Sedley. Yes, after it gets warmer it would be nice to meet up.
Awesome, if you get stumped or need to borrow any tools reach out. My cell is in my sig. I work from home.

The front cover gasket plays a vital role with the oil pump. Over time the gasket can deteriorate and lose the seal.
Try to snug up the front cover bolts.

Awesome, if you get stumped or need to borrow any tools reach out. My cell is in my sig. I work from home.
Roger, thanks. Must be nice working from home... I drive to VA Beach everyday.

I don't have a magnetic oil plug. I'll usually just hold a magnet in the flow as I drain the oil and inspect it afterwords. Not the best method, but it's all I got for now.

For the front gasket, I just got through changing it a few months ago. Ran the car after the job was done and everything worked fine.

Couldn't do much yesterday as it was very cold. I'll try to get the rest of the oil pump taken apart today. Had to move the IC bracket out of the way. I was too cold to do anything else. Getting old.....