Oil Pump not priming

Steve, you are superman if you can make a DRY pump pull oil. I too have primed an easy 100 oil pumps. I do them all the time on the stand as well. That's the only way to set max oil pressure. When I assemble the pumps I use a little assembly lube. That's it. I suggested the petroleum jelly only for this particular situation.

I would think running the pump dry would score the thrust. Metal parts need oil to prevent wear. I know you know that. ;)
Only lube is a light, oil nothing thick. Not a superman.

I watched RC run a completely dry pump with a drill on the bench when building it.

It certainly opened my eyes that day.

I know you have seen my videos of oil pump priming, no gasoline, no grease, no assy lube. I am doing one in a few I will video it again.

Attachments

• 1515590890238104504337.jpg
    1515590890238104504337.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 78
Only lube is a light, oil nothing thick. Not a superman.

I watched RC run a completely dry pump with a drill on the bench when building it.

It certainly opened my eyes that day.

I know you have seen my videos of oil pump priming, no gasoline, no grease, no assy lube. I am doing one in a few I will video it again.

I do them all the time too bro. I believe you. I just don't do anything DRY. :D

A little thin oil is not DRY. I really don't care what Richard clark does. Metal parts need oil.

I have seen Richard Clark do it many times with a bucket in front of it. I had a customer over last nite working on his engine, he put a K&N filter on it and the engine would not prime. So I took off the filter, dry, spun the drill, out with the air and oil came out. Put filter back on and it primed right up.

Before all the people chime in: yes the pump was set-up tight I did it myself, no I didn't pac it with vasoline-stopped that 4 years ago never looked back-covered was blueprinted per usual. My stuff primes up dry on the stand everytime. Lots of videos of me priming customers builds on my Facebook page.

Glad you pointed that out. I too had a new k&n oil filter and the pump would not pump after start up and my engine started to knock. Bought a new wix filter and oil flowed no problem. People will defend that oil filters would not do that and typically they don’t but I will never use risk using another k&n oil filter again.

I have seen Richard Clark do it many times with a bucket in front of it. I had a customer over last nite working on his engine, he put a K&N filter on it and the engine would not prime. So I took off the filter, dry, spun the drill, out with the air and oil came out. Put filter back on and it primed right up.
Steve, you are very informed. I need to start looking at Richard Clark's page a little more. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try that either tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens. I never thought it could be a vapor lock.

I do them all the time too bro. I believe you. I just don't do anything DRY. :D

A little thin oil is not DRY. I really don't care what Richard clark does. Metal parts need oil.
Facebook post up for you buddy:)

Steve, you are very informed. I need to start looking at Richard Clark's page a little more. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try that either tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens. I never thought it could be a vapor lock.
Bob I go down there very often, he has taught me how to use his machines. He has been a great mentor, and I listen when he speaks. STGMAN (Bob Stanley) is pretty sharp too. I do a lot of Facebook posts from his shop.

I just bought a Bridgeport Milling Machine to start doing work at home, but I will still be a fixture at his shop. You should come down with me some weekend.

Last edited:
2018 Turbobuick.com nationals held at RC’s Garage has a line under FORUMS on this site. May 2-5

Sorry guys, I was meaning Richard Clark's Garage and the racing that happens on Friday and Saturday. I fat fingered it.