Oil Pump not priming

Okay, I packed the oil pump with Vaseline and put it back together. Unfortunately turning the pump was a bit difficult and it felt like it was binding. I'm going to have to loosen the bolts and torque them to specified values. I'll be doing that sometime next week.

You really need to take your pump apart and build it right.

Right now you're playing with fire and on the verge of shooting metal directly into every oil galley you have.

Okay, I packed the oil pump with Vaseline and put it back together. Unfortunately turning the pump was a bit difficult and it felt like it was binding. I'm going to have to loosen the bolts and torque them to specified values. I'll be doing that sometime next week.

Sounds like the end play was not set right.

If it's binding, odds are there's either no endplay at all, or a foreign debris inside the pump cavity.

Neither of which is good.

You really need to take your pump apart and build it right.

Right now you're playing with fire and on the verge of shooting metal directly into every oil galley you have.
I agree with Earl, we established we are 30-35 mins from each other. Pull the cover bring it up and we will go through it.

Pull the cover bring it up and we will go through it.
Steve, roger that. I'll start pulling the cover this weekend. I'll let you know when I get it off. BTW, I only turned the pump with a ratchet, not the drill and stopped when I realized it wasn't turning free.

Steve, roger that. I'll start pulling the cover this weekend. I'll let you know when I get it off. BTW, I only turned the pump with a ratchet, not the drill and stopped when I realized it wasn't turning free.
We'll get it straight.

We'll get it straight.
Okay, I have taken apart the oil pump and check out everything. There were no metal shavings what so ever. The thrust place showed no scaring or any wear marks either. I'm not sure why the pump was binding as the bolts were not very tight. However I might have still over torqued them since the torque is at around 8 ft lbs I believe. I have not re-assembled the oil pump.

So, I have drained the oil and am getting ready to drop the oil pan. I have a question: After I drop the oil pan, and I don't see what the problem could be, can I remove the oil pickup tube and blow some air into the hole to make sure it is clear?

If your oil pump pickup is stock, you'll want to toss it and get a new one from Melling.

Also, there's no way it can be clogged.

Did you try and spin the pump when you loosened the bolts? Did it free up?
If you need more clearance, stack another gasket on. Ideally you want a cunt hair end play.

There is a leak on one of the gaskets. Sucking air. It could be the oil pickup gasket but IMO it's more likely the front cover gasket. I know you just did it not long ago but I would not rule it out. Sometimes go back to the last thing that was touched when a related problem shows up. Jsut my $.02.

You will figure it out

There is a leak on one of the gaskets. Sucking air. It could be the oil pickup gasket but IMO it's more likely the front cover gasket. I know you just did it not long ago but I would not rule it out. Sometimes go back to the last thing that was touched when a related problem shows up. Jsut my $.02.
Yeah, sounds like you might be correct on that one. Thanks for your two cents, I really appreciate it.

Okay, I have taken apart the oil pump and check out everything. There were no metal shavings what so ever. The thrust place showed no scaring or any wear marks either. I'm not sure why the pump was binding as the bolts were not very tight. However I might have still over torqued them since the torque is at around 8 ft lbs I believe. I have not re-assembled the oil pump.

So, I have drained the oil and am getting ready to drop the oil pan. I have a question: After I drop the oil pan, and I don't see what the problem could be, can I remove the oil pickup tube and blow some air into the hole to make sure it is clear?
Bring it up here and we will set it up correctly. I have gaskets in different thickness.